By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Does anyone think PS3 can realistically get to second place?

Before the first next gen console is released? No.
LTD? yes, PS3 is the only console who can stay on market until 2013, nintendo e Microsoft will be forced to launch their consoles in 2011 or 2012.

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Xenoblade (Wii), Super mario 3D land (3DS), Guild Wars (PC)

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
TheNoobHolocaust said:
Squilliam said:

But this generation ends in Q4 of this year. How can the PS3 get past the Xbox 360 in that time?!

Until a new home console releases its only fair to say we are still in the 7th generation of games, regardless of the 3DS. I do think it would be fair to say the 3DS will bring the 8th generation to handheld gamers. But like I said until we see a new home console, us console gamers are still in the 7th generation of videogames.

But it will be a new home console. It'll be Xbox Natal, not Xbox 360. The Xbox 360 will be discontinued from the market at the end of 2010 so therefore it will be a new generation of consoles.

Haha thats a pretty bold statement.

if current gamer predictions on this site are corret then this will be how 2011 will end

My 2011 Analysis based on most predictions i've seen for 2010

Wii 100m

PS3 62m

360 58m

it is possible but i dont think so.

I thought everyone would have accepted by now that the PS3 will surpass the X360 in WW sales. Did you not forget the X360 has a year start on the PS3, so the PS3 is going to keep selling more and more each year while the X360 will start slowing down and selling less and less each year. The PS3 is still $299 and $349, for most people that's still very expensive, once it get's down to $199 and less then we'll really be seeing PS3 shortages.

The next few years should look something like this (ending March 31st)

PS3

2010: 15 million

2011: 13 million

2012: 10 million

X360

2010: 9 million

2011: 7 million

2012: 5 million

Around the Network

It probably will, at least LTD.

kowenicki said:
Gilgamesh said:

I thought everyone would have accepted by now that the PS3 will surpass the X360 in WW sales. Did you not forget the X360 has a year start on the PS3, so the PS3 is going to keep selling more and more each year while the X360 will start slowing down and selling less and less each year. The PS3 is still $299 and $349, for most people that's still very expensive, once it get's down to $199 and less then we'll really be seeing PS3 shortages.

PS3

X360

There seems to be a rather large contradiction in your post.... 

i noticed that two, but i decided to let it go?

kowenicki said:
Gilgamesh said:

PS3

X360

There seems to be a rather large contradiction in your post.... 

The X360 already peaked in 2008 it's sold less in 2009 and will keep selling less every year, the PS3 has been consistently beating it's yearly hardware sales and will keep doing it till 2011.

CGI-Quality said:
richardhutnik said:
TheNoobHolocaust said:

The real question is does anyone think it won't. The majority of the people on this site believe it will surpass 360 sometime within the next year or two.

This site consists of a majority of Playstation partisans, so it makes sense on here that they would believe this.  This forum spawned the B_E_L_I_E_V_E meme awhile back when the PS3 was struggling.

As for whether it will, I can't say.  I am not paid like Michael Pachter to get attention to myself and be wrong, so I won't say.

What's funny, it had nothing to do with the PS3's global hardware position.

OT: A few months ago I would have said no way. But now, the PS3 really has gained some traction, and if keeps it up, will eventually achieve 2nd place (though I think Holiday 2010 is CRUCIAL for this to happen). If Sony can't pull out a significant win by year's end, I think the 360 will have sealed the deal and remain in 2nd.

to positon it's self for 2011. PS3 has to sell 10m durring this holiday season. and that is also based on the prediction's of ps3 selling 45m by yr's end. 360 has to sell 7 to 10m to make the 45 to 50m unit's sell predictions for 2010 yr's end.

No doubt.

4 ≈ One