By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Does anyone think PS3 can realistically get to second place?

Dudes, I just had the wackiest vision, that when the ps3 outsells xbox360, the xbox360 would make a comeback and outsell the ps3!
(please don't take that seriously).

Around the Network
Darth Tigris said:
I really don't think hardly anyone on this site really understand the potential of holiday 2010 for the 360. Many here have forgotten the situation in 2008 when the PS3 was only 6 million away and had a ton of momentum because of a 2007 price cut and huge marketing push. Then came September, the 360 dropped from $279 to $199 for the Arcade SKU and, before you knew, the lead was back up to 8 million.

You see that, folks. The 360 lead was down to around about 5 million and some 8 months later it was back up to 8 million.

Do you hear me? Ok, let me slow it down for you.

Sept 08 - May 09 - 360 lead went from 6 mil to 8.4 mil (360 price cut)
Sept 09 - May 10 - 360 lead went from 8 mil to 5 mil (PS3 price cut)

Its a pattern that repeats and we're on the PS3 growth cycle this time. Come this fall we WILL have Halo Reach, Fable III and 'Project Natal'. We may also have a Slim and a price cut. So what will that likely mean for the game industry? See pattern above. Rinse and repeat.

For the PS3 to truly secure 2nd place, we'd have to see something DRASTICALLY different than the pattern that has already been established this gen.

GT5 will be the differcne. and the past doesn't always repeat it's self. all Halo core fans should have a console by now. sony with it's larger Library (larger then the 360's)this fall will be there biggest advantage. i hope they all have a good season over all, and i don't care about leads. i own a we to. 360's indecline. did you hear that?

There's a chance that it could move up to second place. Not saying how high the chance is, but it could happen.

I don't think PS3 will beat 360 by the end of this generation. But i also pretty sure that Sony wont pull the plug on PS3 before long after next generation is here. So in 2015 maybe the PS3 will have passed the 360 maybe sooner, but i do not think it will happen this gen, unless the next generation of consoles doesn't come out before 2013-2014.

ramses01 said:
TheNoobHolocaust said:

The real question is does anyone think it won't. The majority of the people on this site believe it will surpass 360 sometime within the next year or two.

Natal is the deciding point.  If Natal lives up to the hype, then Sony will fall further behind. 

The only reason that it is as close as it is now is that lots of folks are buying the PS3 as a bluRay machine that also plays games.

Even if natal turns out to be a flop, 360 will sell more than PS3 from september 14 and for the rest of the year unless Sony does something really crazy like $50 price cut.

Around the Network

The ps3 has a chance because of japan. Like others have said we have to wait to see if Natal is going to be as successful and microsoft believes it is going to be.

If there is a 360 slim, I doubt the PS3 will pass the 360 worldwide before the next Xbox is released.

If there isn't a 360 slim, the PS3 will beat the 360 LTD.

The slim, amongst other things, encourages rebuys. Especially in light of a new probably bundled device(Natal) and the fact that the RRoD stigma could be rebutted with a redesign.

I find it very hard to believe that Microsoft would let Sony win, when they have so many tricks up their sleeve, and they can afford to pull them, unlike Sony, who can't afford it. MS said at E3 that they will end up beating Sony this generation, and I believe that they have a strategy to make that prediction come true.

That said, in their minds, and in mine, the generation is over when the first next gen console is released. It's kind of a hollow victory to cheer the PS3 passing the 360 several years into next generation. Especially considering how high hopes were for Sony at the end of last generation.

There is little doubt that Microsoft took the Xbox brand from non-existence to equal placing with the Playstation brand inside of 2 generations. If you want to talk about the "pace" of things, where does that put the next Xbox relative to the next Playstation next gen. Imagine if Microsoft actually makes their next console where it doesn't die on a regular basis.

Sony made some DUMB moves this gen, bigtime. Especially at the beginning of the generation. As dumb as I've ever seen in business. They paid for it by dropping rapidly to 3rd place and staying there for years. If they blunder like that again, it's over.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

The question is when is the PS3 going to under $200. It did wonders for both 360 and Wii, but i don't see it happening anytime soon. Besides even if things stay the same as is now, Ps3 won't surpass 360 until early 2012 end then a new console will surely have been announced(or the end of the world, one of the two).

A more interesting question however is, could PS3 sell the most software per consolen( the highest tie ratio).

Gilgamesh said:
kowenicki said:
Gilgamesh said:

I thought everyone would have accepted by now that the PS3 will surpass the X360 in WW sales. Did you not forget the X360 has a year start on the PS3, so the PS3 is going to keep selling more and more each year while the X360 will start slowing down and selling less and less each year. The PS3 is still $299 and $349, for most people that's still very expensive, once it get's down to $199 and less then we'll really be seeing PS3 shortages.

The next few years should look something like this (ending March 31st)

PS3

2010: 15 million

2011: 13 million

2012: 10 million

X360

2010: 9 million

2011: 7 million

2012: 5 million

There seems to be a rather large contradiction in your post.... 

The X360 already peaked in 2008 it's sold less in 2009 and will keep selling less every year, the PS3 has been consistently beating it's yearly hardware sales and will keep doing it till 2011.

So that would mean the PS3 peaked in 2009, and that 2010 onward would sell less each year.

2010: 11 million

2011: 9 million

2012: 7 million

So if nothing happened to change sales of the 360 for which we have no estimates since MS doesn't believe in that junk, it would take until 2012 for the PS3 to pass the 360.

But I have a feeling this year will be the 360's peak year and the PS3 will maybe match last year's performance but not reach anywhere near 15 million.

Name the other 7 generations of handhelds you cant because they are on their own generation scale thus the PS3 will beat the 360 imo and depending on how soon the WII2 launch happens might come close to making up that gap by year 10.