By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Does anyone think PS3 can realistically get to second place?

TheNoobHolocaust said:

The real question is does anyone think it won't. The majority of the people on this site believe it will surpass 360 sometime within the next year or two.

Only because the vast majority of people on this site are Sony fans.

I don't think it will ever surpass the 360 LTD WW.

Around the Network

I think currently it looks probable. I'll revisit my views once the impact of Move and Natal are clearer but on current trends PS3 is set to take 2nd place in terms of each console's current probable full lifetime sales.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

ramses01 said:
TheNoobHolocaust said:

The real question is does anyone think it won't. The majority of the people on this site believe it will surpass 360 sometime within the next year or two.

Natal is the deciding point.  If Natal lives up to the hype, then Sony will fall further behind. 

The only reason that it is as close as it is now is that lots of folks are buying the PS3 as a bluRay machine that also plays games.

Wow, what year am I in? Is it 2007. I always find it funny everyone thinks Natal will blow up everything and Sony has nothing when Sony also has move.

nightsurge said:
TheNoobHolocaust said:

Haha sadly thats true.

I obviously do think the PS3 will pass the 360 eventually, possibly sometime next year, I do think the 360 will hold out for a while because of Natal. I think that will save it a few months, but eventually it will lose its momentum as I think MS is relying on Natal entirely too much.

Who knows maybe they do have something else(I'm looking at you Xbox 360 Slim), but Natal isn't going to be able to pull it off on its own. IMO

TheNoobHolocaust said:
Squilliam said:

But this generation ends in Q4 of this year. How can the PS3 get past the Xbox 360 in that time?!

Until a new home console releases its only fair to say we are still in the 7th generation of games, regardless of the 3DS. I do think it would be fair to say the 3DS will bring the 8th generation to handheld gamers. But like I said until we see a new home console, us console gamers are still in the 7th generation of videogames.

But it will be a new home console. It'll be Xbox Natal, not Xbox 360. The Xbox 360 will be discontinued from the market at the end of 2010 so therefore it will be a new generation of consoles.

Tease.

Around the Network

Yes they will even with the one year gap and insane starting price...they will

But the REAL REAL question is, why or who CARE/S? I mean really? why does it even matter :S this whole console sales wars are dumb

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Yes

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

TheNoobHolocaust said:
nightsurge said:
TheNoobHolocaust said:

Haha sadly thats true.

I obviously do think the PS3 will pass the 360 eventually, possibly sometime next year, I do think the 360 will hold out for a while because of Natal. I think that will save it a few months, but eventually it will lose its momentum as I think MS is relying on Natal entirely too much.

Who knows maybe they do have something else(I'm looking at you Xbox 360 Slim), but Natal isn't going to be able to pull it off on its own. IMO

This is true.  I don't think anyone can say with any degree of certainty until after this fall.  If after this holiday the 360 hasn't gained lots of momentum from a Slim + Natal + price cuts then I could see the PS3 catching it in a year or 2.  However I think Sony is also relying on Move way too much with their recent 15 million console sales forcast.

Only time will tell.  I do agree that Natal/Move by themselves will not be enough to drive sales for either of these consoles for an extended period of time.  Especially with the possible high costs of entry (still unknown for sure).

I hope not because this site will be awfully boring.

TheNoobHolocaust said:

This site consists of a majority of Playstation partisans, so it makes sense on here that they would believe this.  This forum spawned the B_E_L_I_E_V_E meme awhile back when the PS3 was struggling.

As for whether it will, I can't say.  I am not paid like Michael Pachter to get attention to myself and be wrong, so I won't say.