By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are some Nintendo fans angry with Move?

F.E.A.R. that Sonys controller will be better?

Blood runs deep
Fear runs deeper

Around the Network

Sony should've just upgraded the six axis but i dont care, motion controllers are fucking retarded anyways (I just dont' like it so STFU)

Seece said:
Ok, I'm pretty sure a lot of nintendo fans were still all about motion controls being the future after Sony made that remark.

So basically they're just pissed Sony copied them completely?

I can understand how this is gonna piss Nintendo fans off, but at the same time I can't see Nintendo fans wanting Sony/Microsoft to be innovative with motion controls??

But thats fucking bullshit. Wii Mote isnt the first motion controller in the industry. There is a video of Sony's Motion controller back in 2004 and in 2002, way before wii got launched. Im not saying Sony's motion controller was the first one ever, but it isn't a ''wii-rip off''

RolStoppable said:
Porcupine_I said:
Seece said:

For so long, a LOT of Nintendo fans and fanboys have said "motion control is the future, it will be the future of gaming" they seemed quite proud Nintendo was the first to do this, but all of a sudden, now Sony's jumped on the bandwagon, they're getting nothing but hostitily.

i have been wondering the same for quite a while now, but my question would have been: "What do Nintendo fans want?"

Many of them act as if Sony needs to fall on its knees and beg forgiveness or issues an official apology or something.

So, Sony "copied" the Wiimote? Rejoice! You have been right about motion controls all along! The Move still can fail, but it's not going away just because you don't like it.

And do people honestly think bashing the Move now makes them any better then the Sony fans that have been bashing the motion controls back then? Its the same patterns: "if i can't have it so i don't want it" or "i like this one so the other one must be bad"

I also believe that Sony honestly believed that motion control is a "fad" back then, because of their experience with the Eyetoy. So, they where wrong, big deal! Its not like Nintendo were absolutely sure about their approach, hence the somewhat limited original Wiimote.

So, please tell me, what do you want? What would make you stop flocking into every thread that has the word "Move" in the title?

The most controversy regarding Move is still caused by the same thing that triggered it right after its official announcement at GDC earlier this year. People saw Move and its games and called it a copy of the Wii and its games (rightly so considering all the similarities) which was followed by several threads made by Sony enthusiasts claiming that this isn't the case.

A couple of months ago I explained what my problem with Move is, but in hindsight I realize that I worded it wrongly. I said that Sony fans should admit that Move is a blatant copy of the Wii and its games, but that is the wrong thing to ask for. There doesn't have to be a thread in which every Sony fan proclaims that Sony followed Nintendo. What I should have said is that those Sony fans in question shouldn't deny it, because that is the root of all problems. Not denying something means no effort at all, it doesn't require people to make a post.

When you look at threads that deal solely with the Move's games, there won't be many posts as the interest in Move is generally low, including the official thread which is still below 100 posts I think. But whenever it's mentioned that Move is a copy/not a copy you can be sure that it will be a long and controversial thread (unless a mod steps in and closes it down).

If everyone accepts that Sony is following Nintendo with Move (Sony fans not denying it and Nintendo fans not feeling the need to rub it in in every thread), then there shouldn't be much conflict at all anymore.

Of course Sony followed Nintendo, i can admit that, because it is obvious, wasn't there even a statement by Sony that they give Nintendo "all the credit" for making motion control popular?

But somehow your post implies that you should be entitled to demand that kind of  Statement from "everyone". Aren't people free to believe what they want any more?

Don't get me wrong, i can see why you would want that, but i can also understand why people wouldn't.

I don't think the behavior of fans on both sides will change any time soon, but telling them what to believe will not help the matter.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Xoj said:
TaichungSteve said:
I really don't understand why people think Move will get all of this stellar third-party 'hardcore' support.

Many studios are making very little money as it is. Most of this generation it has been necessary to make multiplatform releases on the 360 and PS3 to justify the cost of development of many AAA games. Move/Natal will make these titles more expensive and difficult to do.
Move is a subcategory of the Playstation brand. It does not make sense to invest a large sum of money on a game until the potential userbase is there. A 30 million dollar game will not break even if it can only be sold to potentially 2-4 million people maximum. No game will ever achieve 100% penetration, so if the userbase is 4 million, you could reasonably expect a max sales threshold of 2-2.2 million, if everything goes perfectly.
You will see games that feature Move support, but that is far from ideal. One of the biggest knocks on the Wii is that 'waggle' replaces button presses and add nothing to the experience. -This is precisely that.
How long has it taken developers to release decent to good motion controlled games - aside from Nintendo themselves? There is a learning curve to creating a quality motion controlled experience, you don't get to just skip that curve simply because the console is in its fourth year.
'These third-parties have been releasing games on the Wii, they did their learning there.' -Bull. No third party has assigned their 'A' teams to make motion-controlled games. Ubisoft will not be giving the "Imagine:Babiez" team the reins to AC3, for example. They might be there to 'consult', but there is no replacement for experience, and most of it will be on the job.

So, good AAA games will come - after there is a significant userbase that makes it economically viable, and after they have gone through the bumps that come with learning the ropes. So, in about 3 years, likely after the next Nintendo and Microsoft systems have been released. Awesome.

move won't get stellar hardcore support, at much a few decent selling titles. and some added support but certainly it will get alot more shovelwware than it used to do that hels

but ps3 as a whole got a hardcore demographic and third party will certain keep support it like they are now.

natal and move arent about changing nothing but to cash in. same as nintendo went for a cheap wii

I guess you havent seen the preliminary games. If those are the preliminary games, the possibility of making cooler titles with Sony's top companies really starts from there.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Porcupine_I said:
RolStoppable said:

The most controversy regarding Move is still caused by the same thing that triggered it right after its official announcement at GDC earlier this year. People saw Move and its games and called it a copy of the Wii and its games (rightly so considering all the similarities) which was followed by several threads made by Sony enthusiasts claiming that this isn't the case.

A couple of months ago I explained what my problem with Move is, but in hindsight I realize that I worded it wrongly. I said that Sony fans should admit that Move is a blatant copy of the Wii and its games, but that is the wrong thing to ask for. There doesn't have to be a thread in which every Sony fan proclaims that Sony followed Nintendo. What I should have said is that those Sony fans in question shouldn't deny it, because that is the root of all problems. Not denying something means no effort at all, it doesn't require people to make a post.

When you look at threads that deal solely with the Move's games, there won't be many posts as the interest in Move is generally low, including the official thread which is still below 100 posts I think. But whenever it's mentioned that Move is a copy/not a copy you can be sure that it will be a long and controversial thread (unless a mod steps in and closes it down).

If everyone accepts that Sony is following Nintendo with Move (Sony fans not denying it and Nintendo fans not feeling the need to rub it in in every thread), then there shouldn't be much conflict at all anymore.

Of course Sony followed Nintendo, i can admit that, because it is obvious, wasn't there even a statement by Sony that they give Nintendo "all the credit" for making motion control popular?

But somehow your post implies that you should be entitled to demand that kind of  Statement from "everyone". Aren't people free to believe what they want any more?

Don't get me wrong, i can see why you would want that, but i can also understand why people wouldn't.

I don't think the behavior of fans on both sides will change any time soon, but telling them what to believe will not help the matter.

That right there is the baffling thing. Despite Sony themselves clearly stating that they are going after the Wii market and their games supporting this statement, some Sony fans are still in denial.

No, I don't demand everyone to say that Sony is following Nintendo, I just want people to stop claiming that Sony isn't following Nintendo because that is not true at all. See the post above yours, that's what I am speaking of.

yes, you already made it clear what you want, but you should realize it is not going to happen, because for every reasonable fan there are at least a dozen unreasonable ones. i suppose you know that, but will it stop you from arguing?

but that aside, the problem is also in the details.

"Sony follows Nintendo" is a very general statement that people might be able to agree on, but what does it mean to the individual? Does it mean Sony has seen the casual trend towards motion control and developed their own version, or does it mean, they just "blatantly" copied the wiimote? Both statements could be regard as "not true at all" it only depends on your point of view.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Im a Sony fan and i'll be the first to say MOVE is a copy, but in Sony's defense if they could make it better, more power to them. I have a WII and my main problem with it is its not as accurate as they were saying it was. Its not that I hate games like WiiSports, I hate when Im doing something and it doesnt translate becasue of the subpar tech. sucks the fn out of it. If Sony could do it better then I'll get their copy, shovelware and all

oniyide said:
Im a Sony fan and i'll be the first to say MOVE is a copy, but in Sony's defense if they could make it better, more power to them. I have a WII and my main problem with it is its not as accurate as they were saying it was. Its not that I hate games like WiiSports, I hate when Im doing something and it doesnt translate becasue of the subpar tech. sucks the fn out of it. If Sony could do it better then I'll get their copy, shovelware and all

dito

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Smidlee said:

I still think  motion control is still a gimmick.This is not to say gimmicks can't sell as sometimes they do but as some have pointed out, most of the Big N titles  make little use of motion control.
The best part for me about Sony Move vs Wii-mote would be it could be a very useful mouse substitute; one that could be used on the couch. So far I haven't seen any example that Move will be used this way. It also seems like another gimmick. I've already played as much Wii Sport as I can stand so I don't care for a Move/Natal version.

It's funny you say this, because Nintendo has deep rooted history in being called a kiddy/toy company. It's funny but its competitor Sega was never called that and when Sony joined the gaming industry it removed all doubt that videogames aren't toys. I believe the same will be true for the gimmick theory. Sony takes concepts Nintendo creates and ups the capabilities with tech they've already made to attract a more intermediate to hardcore crowd. This is how its always been. Nintendo has the casuals hooked this gen though. It wont work for Sony with the Move. Theres just too many buttons on that thing and the price of buying it as opposed to the Wii just wont work.

Where did you get the idea that Sony somehow made videogame not toys? PS did somewhat appeal to an older crowd but there was a limit for even PS. Vagrant Story was a RPG design for the older crowd ( more mature story) yet it was a flop. As far as N games being kiddy it seems to have more to do with the idea N games are very successful without using the F-word in every sentence.

Wii-mote for the most part is a gimmick just like Blu-ray player is when it comes to actual gaming.( of course Blu-ray is very useful when it comes to HD movies) As other has pointed out most of Nintendo famous first party titles can be played with a normal controller. Wii-mote is best at mini-games.

Another example; TrackIR (head tracking) is pretty much a gimmick except when it comes to flight sims. In flight sims head tracking is a must. In racing you can easily do without it. In FPS it's pretty much useless.

Nizut76 said:
mysticwolf said:

That is the answer to the question of the title of this thread

Sony wins they have a better hand model.

Both these controllers use motion control. The way the controllers feel does not make the game fun. The games themselves make the controller fun to use. Having a "better hand model" is an opinion, and one that does not make a significan't difference. In fact, the gameplay is exactly the same, whether Sony's controller had the Wii remote's "hand model" or whether it had it's current one.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash