By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - FFXIII Sales ADJUSTED - Top Selling Console RPG Of the gen YAY!

darthdevidem01 said:
morenoingrato said:
what's the second place?

Oblivion/Fallout 3 at around 5 Million

@akibafan

Like I told you before, learn the definition of flop & then we'll discuss.

I consider the legs of FF in Japan show how it has flopped. Or is it normal for the biggest JRPG series to sell 890 units in its 17th week on the market? Or like this week, not even in the Top 50, sold a whopping 1.700 copies, with 3.000.000 users out there with PS3 and no FFXIII. For a FINAL FANTASY game, this reeks of failure.

Just look at sales of other and older games in Japan http://vgchartz.com/jweekly.php?date=40307&console=PS3&maker=&boxartz=1# , they put FFXIII to shame. Of course FFXIII has a higher total sales, but I mean 3/4 of its sales was first week sales, so it has no legs at all. Looks to me the game flopped pretty hard in Japan.

Around the Network
akuseru said:
darthdevidem01 said:
morenoingrato said:
what's the second place?

@akibafan

I consider the legs of FF in Japan show how it has flopped. Or is it normal for the biggest JRPG series to sell 890 units in its 17th week on the market? Or like this week, not even in the Top 50, sold a whopping 1.700 copies, with 3.000.000 users out there with PS3 and no FFXIII. For a FINAL FANTASY game, this reeks of failure.

Just look at sales of other and older games in Japan http://vgchartz.com/jweekly.php?date=40307&console=PS3&maker=&boxartz=1# , they put FFXIII to shame. Of course FFXIII has a higher total sales, but I mean 3/4 of its sales was first week sales, so it has no legs at all. Looks to me the game flopped pretty hard in Japan.

well being a flop is a slang word. Flop means failure... and this taken from urbandictionary.com is below also the slang for at Dictionary.com = Fail

For one, if you count pokemon it's the biggest JRPG series in Japan, #2 Dragon Quest Sells a lot more than Final Fantasy in Japan. and is the 2nd biggest JRPG in Japan. Final Fantasy I believe is the 3rd biggest and has been declining in Japan, for a while (kenryoku), while not declining everywhere else. And the ps3 having an install base around 4 million when it was launched didn't help.
Final fantasy's have always had aweful legs in japan.  Flop is the incorrect term. FFXIII, I don't have the source and dont care to look it up but I believe SE goal was to ship 2 million I believe (Which still seems low, but lets say it underperformed likely by 200K in japan =/= flop).  But something that sells about 2 million is incorrect to call it a flop. It's underperforming as per their expectations, which I'd agree with. Final Fantasy XIII, is the highest selling PS3 game in Japan by far. It has the attach rate of New Super Mario Bros Wii in Japan.

Now if you want to call the highest selling ps3 game in Japan a failure, based on all that it doesn't make sense. But Final fantasy sales have been going down in Japan since 7 (sadly). And I figure SE expected this (but didn't want). But if you want to be overdramatic with words or equate this to a flop in Japan, then i guess I'll make up a word/definition and call it a fairy

Something that fails miserably
The Final Fantasy movie was the biggest flop since Battlefield Earth.
by AYB Mar 13, 2003 share this
D

Wagram said:
AMAZING SALES!

Now I can say this for sure: GO TO HELL TO ALL THOSE WHO SAID THIS GAME COULDN'T OUTSELL XII!

i'm sure there were a few people who said that but most of the discussion about FF12 vs FF13 was about Japan sales, it's not gonna pass it in Japan.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

akuseru said:
darthdevidem01 said:
morenoingrato said:
what's the second place?

@akibafan

you certainly can't call it a flop, it's not that far off.  Now when you consider it was the most expensive FF ever, and that it sold less than any other final fantasy since FF4 it seems bad, but i don't think you can expect more at this time.  Square had no choice but to put it on HD systems, the FF fans demand it, and it wouldn't have sold more elsewhere.  Even if it is less than many historical FFs, they did they best they could in the current situation.  It is obviously profitable and far better than not releasing FF at all.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

akuseru said:
darthdevidem01 said:
morenoingrato said:
what's the second place?

@akibafan

FFX launched & sold 2.3 Million before it got its re-releases. After its re-releases FFX ended up at 3 Million. FF games are extremely front loaded in the region & it doesn't help that PS3 is selling at a lower rate than PS1/2 were. No its not a flop in Japan, you will see sales go up after re-releases come out. FFX-2 ended up at 1.9 Million before tis re-releases which took it up to 2.4 Million.

Out of the "older" games on the chart before FF13, well they have all had their platinum re-releases so thats a reason, wait for FF13 to get its one.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
johnsobas said:
Wagram said:
AMAZING SALES!

Now I can say this for sure: GO TO HELL TO ALL THOSE WHO SAID THIS GAME COULDN'T OUTSELL XII!

i'm sure there were a few people who said that but most of the discussion about FF12 vs FF13 was about Japan sales, it's not gonna pass it in Japan.

Total sales matter more than a specific region.

Havent played FFXIII, but Fallout 3 derserves the crown.

TrevDaRev said:
Havent played FFXIII, but Fallout 3 derserves the crown.

{vomits}

Both Oblivion & FF13 deserve to be double the sales away from Fallout 3 before it infects them with dullness!!! lol

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

I hope this can end up outselling FFX.

Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age and Fallout3 were way better than FFXIII and Lost Odyssey was and still is actually on par with FFXIII. FF Survives on name value but the sales based on stature are well deserved. It means people still believe in SE. Lets hope Versus is better than expected.