By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I Am Disheartened . . .

theARTIST0017 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
c0rd said:
strunge said:
Jordahn said:
strunge said:
Fededx said:
How could he sell something that was given to him AS A GIFT! That's rude...

it is far less rude than the gift giver believing that the recipient must hold onto it forever. 

but that distracts from the main point that if you are disheartened because someone has lost interest in a product you enjoy and prefers another, you may have severe emotional problems that need to be chekced out because such personalizing of a brand to that extent isn't healthy and is beyond the normal realm of brand allegiance.

Very nice.  It seems everyone who disagreed with the person who sold the Wii doesn't really know what a gift is.

no, it is clear they are the ones that do.  you're the one who needs to do a simple oogle search on gift etiquette, it is perfectly acceptable for a recipient to return a gift, or even sell it. 

This isn't just a standard gift, you're missing the context. It goes like this:

*OP wins a Wii with cousin nearby*

"Cool, I have two Wii's now, but I'm fine with just owning one. Whatever will I do with the second one... Oh! Did you want one, cousin? You can have it, then. Enjoy!"

"Yeah, cool. Thanks!"

*cousin takes the Wii home and sells it*

You're trying to tell me that recipient isn't an asshole?

The Wii was given under the expectation that the cousin had more use for it than the OP did. That is the only reason why it was given away (and since the recipient was there when it happened, he knows this). In a world where you can expect these kind of gifts to be sold back like that, we wouldn't give them out in the first place. It'd look something like this:

*OP wins a second Wii*

Cousin: Aww, damn! Lucky you! I wish I had a Wii.

OP: Actually, with this, I have two Wii's now. I have no use for this one though. Hmm...

Cousin: ... *looks hopeful*

OP: Yeah, I've decided. I'm sellin' this bitch! Need me some weed money!

Also, being disheartened because your cousin, friend or whoever does not share your interests does not equate to "severe emotional problems." Seriously, what the hell are you talking about? As far as I know, most people get along better when their interests are more aligned. Just look at this very website, the social groups tend to be segregated based on game tastes.

People really take this anti-fanboyism thing to crazy extremes, this thread is a perfect example. Everyone has to pretend like they have no attachments to their hobbies, and it's bullshit. If my friends all lost interest in video games, that'd be horrible, because I couldn't talk to them about it, would no longer play games with them, etc. Replace "video games" with "Nintendo games," or any other interest and you have a very similar situation.

Technically his cousin isn't an asshole. He's done nothing wrong. For instance, which is worse....selling or trading away a gift you paid for and thought they would like or a gift you got for free and thought they would like? Truthfully.....it probably cost him less than a dollar to get it. He should be proud because he saved his cousin 300 on a console whichever way you slice it. The smile on his cousins face should suffice. A gift is meant to be given to either help or please the one you give it to....it's not done for your own intentions.

well I wouldn't call my cousin that he's family but the gift had sentimental value to all the people in his family that played it and to me who gave it to him in the first place. Shoot there were Mii's on there. He didn't even ask if i would care. I didn't even find out until I asked him about it.

I empathize with you on an emotional level. On a level of understanding the concept of gift giving it may seem selfish on his part, but technically whatever he has now is because of you and your gift. What he has now is what he considers your gift. If it was a gift for the family then I would understand, but you stated that you gave it to him. It's not like PS3 wont have the capability to produce something for the family that they can create and enjoy, especially with the preliminary titles of the move. 

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
theARTIST0017 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
c0rd said:
strunge said:
Jordahn said:
strunge said:
Fededx said:

it is far less rude than the gift giver believing that the recipient must hold onto it forever. 

but that distracts from the main point that if you are disheartened because someone has lost interest in a product you enjoy and prefers another, you may have severe emotional problems that need to be chekced out because such personalizing of a brand to that extent isn't healthy and is beyond the normal realm of brand allegiance.

Very nice.  It seems everyone who disagreed with the person who sold the Wii doesn't really know what a gift is.

no, it is clear they are the ones that do.  you're the one who needs to do a simple oogle search on gift etiquette, it is perfectly acceptable for a recipient to return a gift, or even sell it. 

"Cool, I have two Wii's now, but I'm fine with just owning one. Whatever will I do with the second one... Oh! Did you want one, cousin? You can have it, then. Enjoy!"

"Yeah, cool. Thanks!"

The Wii was given under the expectation that the cousin had more use for it than the OP did. That is the only reason why it was given away (and since the recipient was there when it happened, he knows this). In a world where you can expect these kind of gifts to be sold back like that, we wouldn't give them out in the first place. It'd look something like this:

*OP wins a second Wii*

OP: Actually, with this, I have two Wii's now. I have no use for this one though. Hmm...

Also, being disheartened because your cousin, friend or whoever does not share your interests does not equate to "severe emotional problems." Seriously, what the hell are you talking about? As far as I know, most people get along better when their interests are more aligned. Just look at this very website, the social groups tend to be segregated based on game tastes.

People really take this anti-fanboyism thing to crazy extremes, this thread is a perfect example. Everyone has to pretend like they have no attachments to their hobbies, and it's bullshit. If my friends all lost interest in video games, that'd be horrible, because I couldn't talk to them about it, would no longer play games with them, etc. Replace "video games" with "Nintendo games," or any other interest and you have a very similar situation.

Technically his cousin isn't an asshole. He's done nothing wrong. For instance, which is worse....selling or trading away a gift you paid for and thought they would like or a gift you got for free and thought they would like? Truthfully.....it probably cost him less than a dollar to get it. He should be proud because he saved his cousin 300 on a console whichever way you slice it. The smile on his cousins face should suffice. A gift is meant to be given to either help or please the one you give it to....it's not done for your own intentions.

well I wouldn't call my cousin that he's family but the gift had sentimental value to all the people in his family that played it and to me who gave it to him in the first place. Shoot there were Mii's on there. He didn't even ask if i would care. I didn't even find out until I asked him about it.

I empathize with you on an emotional level. On a level of understanding the concept of gift giving it may seem selfish on his part, but technically whatever he has now is because of you and your gift. What he has now is what he considers your gift. If it was a gift for the family then I would understand, but you stated that you gave it to him. It's not like PS3 wont have the capability to produce something for the family that they can create and enjoy, especially with the preliminary titles of the move. 

PS3 does not replace Wii

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

Your friend sounds like a douchebag.

Not for "betraying Nintendo" or whatever...

but selling a gift like that, seriously? One you originally wanted, screw that. If someone gave me some videogame system and I hated it... I'm still keeping the damn thing, and I'm going to pretend that I play it every once in a while too.

At worst i'm giving it back to the guy who gave it to me.  It's not like this was my birthday or some crap where it was meant for me. 

S.T.A.G.E. said:
c0rd said:
strunge said:
Jordahn said:
strunge said:
Fededx said:

"Yeah, cool. Thanks!"

*OP wins a second Wii*

They're both as bad.  He could of sold it for 200-300 dollars himself if that was the case.

The gift was given soley because the cousin said he was going to use it.  It wasn't his birthday or something.

I mean, if you go up to somebody and say "Hey I don't need a second one of these, do you want it" you are asking "Do you want it"

Not "do you want to sell this, which I could also sell because I have no need for money."

You can't tell me with a straight face, you wouldn't care if you had an extra of something, gave it to someone and they immediatly sold it.  I mean hell, you could of just as eaisly did that and you would of had that money.

Of course, if you really wouldn't care.  Please feel free to mail me anything extra you have of any value.  I totally will be grateful pawning everything, and you can be happy just giving someone the extra stuff that could of been cash money for you.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

I thought by illustrating the absurdity that way would have got the point across, but I guess not.

Let me put it in simple terms: the Wii was not an unconditional gift. It was only given under the condition that his cousin had more use for a second Wii than he did.

This isn't a birthday present we're talking about - if he gave him a Wii for a present and the guy ended up selling it, that's his business. It's the fault of whoever bought the Wii that he didn't buy a better present - I understand that.

I know how annoying this can be because this has happened to me a few times before, albeit in a smaller scale. For example, in videogames like WoW when loot/gear is distributed, and one ends up winning an item that they don't really need from some boss. They offer it to some person, asking, "Do you want / need this?" If the person responds yes, it's under the assumption that they have use for the item itself. People who later just go off and sell the item are looked down upon, for good reason.

The concept is to give the item to whoever would make the most use of it.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I cannot blame your friend. Sony has made the Wii a non factor for me this gen. Nintendo has lost all connection with me. They brought me into this style of entertainment as a child, but Playstation and Microsoft have been keeping me in it. I could care less if Sony copied, because they proved their point about what a hardcore system does and no one can really defend Nintendo. This E3 is do or die for Nintendo....plain and simple.

Unless you play games... not to say there are a shit ton of games out there to try out and play, but there are a shit ton of games out there to try out and play.  Really there has never been a time where one console has made another a "non factor" any way you go about it you're gonna miss out on games, and if your hobby is gaming... then you're missing out on your hobby. Hell I had the Atari Jaguar, the console has like 2 good games on it cause it had such a short lifespan, but its 2 games I got to play and enjoy so my time was well spent. 

Honestly whenever I hear anyone trashing another console cause of one of the competitors made the said console not worth it, I simply see someone trying to justify a purchase of one rather than the other to people who simply don't care, and I hear "derp derp derp" going through my head whenever they're speaking, its the oddest thing.

I guess this all boils down to perspective my friend, so I'll spell it out. The Wii does have a "shit ton" of games out there to play, but an increasingly large amount of them are shovelware. Because of Sony's strictness with quality control I am already expecting Move titles beyond the Wii and thats the way I like it. I like to expect more as things evolve. As I've said in the past, I liked to play COD: WAW with my friends on the Wii, but thats on my friends Wii. I was planning to get a Wii when it came out with enough games that I wanted to play, but Sony basically filled the gap with a preliminary showing which I feel is superior to almost anything the Wii has out aside from a handful first party titles. The Move is basically a Wii-mote on crack and with the camera adds depth to the picture which the Wii cannot replicate unless they gather a camera themselves. It's not just about graphics for me, but that also helps paint the picture, especially if a shooter is involved. I never realized how great the possibilities for a wand shooter was on the Wii until a third party title like COD: WAW and with the PS3...I see that as a non-factor. Mod Nation Racers has replaced Mario Kart for me as a figure of taste. If I want Mario, I'll just create him.....and the scary part is......you can.

I'm not trashing the Wii, but I am stating how I feel growing up with Nintendo and feeling let down. (Example of trashing the Wii: The Wii is a POS!) The OP asked for a comment about how people feel about the situation and quite frankly cannot blame nor condone the way the situation has turned out.

To conclude with another perspective, I mainly talk to older people and the majority of my friends are in their late 20's. I will narrow them down to the friends who actually have the Wii, because the others just don't care for Wii titles unless it's a party game. I have a friend whom is 28 and has saved for a very long time to buy a house so he will not have to have an apartment. Everytime he sees us playing a 360 or PS3 he attributes his purchase to only having the Wii so he could focus on other things in life. He literally told me that if he had a PS3 or 360 he would either have to stop buying games for a long time (which is hard for him if he only has a fork out $60 or less for games after the console purchase). He knows Nintendo is lagging with the games he likes and finds that as a positive so he doesn't have to game. Yet...on his free time I see him at my friends house whom is 26 playing on his PS3 like a mad man (LOL you should see it). 

All my other friends who own the Wii and mainly play it for shooters like the game I previously mentioned were floored when they saw the GT Socom showing back home. These guys are not casual gamers by any means. They have game nights two times a week and play regularly on their own.

I go to an art school for illustration (but also dabble in graphics) but also trains furiously in animation and videogame development which has mainly PS3 and 360 owners and everyone games. The Wii owners admitted that they have been reduced in their free time to playing Tatsunoku (which is a lot of fun) and Brawl as multiplayer titles. When a PS3 or 360 party starts the room is filled. The gamers who create games has no time to play games, but because of the little money they have people swap games and they find it to be in their best interest when they have free time to swap PS3 or 360 games. This brings me to the time I had my paradigm shift about the Sony move, when gametrailers sent a flurry of Move videos our way actually showing us the possibilities. Being a students in a art/technological school, we obviously have to test this product to come up with a final idea, but from what we saw....purely as far as the core in gaming is concerned....its pretty much over unless Nintendo changes the game plan. PC is also the main thing everyone has in their room of course, but I am speaking of consoles. 

Are you somewhat starting to understand my point or at least the perspective?

P.S.

You also must admit the excitement is added for the possibilities knowing Microsoft and Sony are hugely behind 3rd parties. This means more quality titles.

Man I got about to "increasingly large amount of them are shovelware" and man...

*yawn*

None of this is about perspective, I'm not even bothering with the rest of your post, I'd rather like to know you wasted your time writing it than I did reading it cause within the first couple of lines you used old, used up, faulty logic that I can't be bothered to point out for another time. 

Simply put there's games, good games, 3 and a half years worth of backlog that the Move doesn't have, if you want to deny that to yourself, go ahead, but it's not like the world cares and people are just going to call you out when you state such things.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

c0rd said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I thought by illustrating the absurdity that way would have got the point across, but I guess not.

Let me put it in simple terms: the Wii was not an unconditional gift. It was only given under the condition that his cousin had more use for a second Wii than he did.

This isn't a birthday present we're talking about - if he gave him a Wii for a present and the guy ended up selling it, that's his business. It's the fault of whoever bought the Wii that he didn't buy a better present - I understand that.

I know how annoying this can be because this has happened to me a few times before, albeit in a smaller scale. For example, in videogames like WoW when loot/gear is distributed, and one ends up winning an item that they don't really need from some boss. They offer it to some person, asking, "Do you want / need this?" If the person responds yes, it's under the assumption that they have use for the item itself. People who later just go off and sell the item are looked down upon, for good reason.

The concept is to give the item to whoever would make the most use of it.

Indeed.  If my friend gives me something because I can make better use of it... then I just can't.  I'm either keeping that, or asking my friend if he wants it back because I'm not going to use it anymore.

To just sell it is BS if I haven't cleared it with my friend first. 

loves2splooge said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
*shrug* I've told people before that it's rather stupid to sell any console unless a new one that plays the old games comes out.

People sell their consoles for other consoles everyday that's how Gamestop lives and breathes if I went "ZOMG NO HE DIDN'T!" Every time it happened I wouldn't have time to live out a normal life.

To be honest I hope it wasn't a choice made by stupidity and ignorance like I've seen happen so often. Hell I tried telling this guy before he traded in his Wii he should probably play some of the good games he didn't even bother with, stopped working at gamestop, became friends with his nephew went over to his house where I was working on my friends Wii and the guy came in, wondering what we were doing, we were talking about all the cool games coming out/already out, he went "really? there were all those games?" then when he was standing there I went online with the wifi connection on the Wii and he went "that thing has a web browser too?" (he has a 360) and then stated how he needed to "get another Wii apparently" and I brought up where I told him to not sell it lol now he's out about 150 dollars, I hope it was worth it lol

This is such a common occurence. On this very forum there was a thread started by a guy who wanted to sell his Wii and someone else jumped into the the thread defending his decision and I clearly explained that the Wii has plenty of great games, you just have to rely a lot on the internet as opposed to brick and mortar to find some of the good games. Since let's be honest, a lot of the third-party "core" Wii games (Nintendo first-party being an exception unless it's Fire Emblem or something niche like that) don't exactly get a lot of shelf space.

But I've already went over how easy it is to go to amazon.com, gamestop.com, bestbuy.com, ebay.com and make a simple search (and yes you will find what you are looking for at these places. Finding Fragile Dreams and other niche games like that is not hard). But then I get the "but I can just go to GameStop and buy what I want for the PS3 and Xbox 360. Why do I have to even put in extra effort to get good Wii games? It's not worth it!" As if making a simple internet search is more of a hassle than driving to a GameStop and back to buy a game.

Most self-proclaimed "hardcore gamers" who are Pro-PS3 and/or Xbox 360 and anti-Wii are a product of marketing and hype machines. If the game isn't advertised well enough, it might as well not exist to them. They don't want to go out of their comfort zone (relying on media hype to tell them what to buy) to go try out a niche game that they may very well like.

In my opinion, a "hardcore gamer" is someone who spends more time than usual on their gaming hobby. The notion that "hardcore gaming" is about consuming heavily advertised, heavily commercialized video games is absurd. In my opinion, playing No More Heroes or Muramasa is more hardcore than playing God of War III or Splinter Cell Conviction. The former two are geared towards the niche gamer. The latter two are geared towards mainstream gamers.

Also many of the so-called "shovelware" games on the Wii may not even really be shovelware if one gave it a chance. Just Dance for one may very well be a fun game. And Wii Sports in my opinion is good for what it is. A pack-in party game collection that comes free with your Wii.

I find the bold to be increasingly true, though if we went by some magazines and sites, even amazing games like CoD4 are apparently shovelware on Wii.  Personally I've been thinking about trying out Just Dance for shits and giggles, I've actually heard good word of mouth stragely enough... then I've seen some entertaining videos come from it.

Honestly you've got some good points, though not all of the marketing hype is strictly a PS3 and 360 thing there's the same thing on Wii, and hell most media is built like that.  It's the consumer safe zone, they're told what to like and how to like it and that's what they go with, hell people could go out and buy vehicles with non gas fuels, do they do it? No, they buy what is marketed and what they know. 

People buy into hype a lot which is why I avoid it, its a monster meant to consume the consumer base and perpetuate sales.  The problem with that strategy is it's taxing on that said userbase, like everyone I know that bought into ipods at the beginning had to go out and buy every update, then it hit the point where its like "that's nothing new" and they had to branch out to iphones and ipod touches, people are going to buy into over hyped games, till they start playing them, not being satisfied, realizing they're paying 50 to 60 a pop, and will wait till they see real reasons to buy the next game and if they could wait till price drops.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

To the OP, I think your situation doesn't warrant any more grief than the typical "I bought a gift for this pal, only for him to sell it shortly afterwards".

Of course, you'd be mad if you had actually paid a huge sum for that gift!

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

kylohk said:
To the OP, I think your situation doesn't warrant any more grief than the typical "I bought a gift for this pal, only for him to sell it shortly afterwards".

Of course, you'd be mad if you had actually paid a huge sum for that gift!

He did though.  In giving it to his friend... in reality he paid 200-300 dollars for it.

The money HE could of got for it on the market.