By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I Am Disheartened . . .

MaxwellGT2000 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I cannot blame your friend. Sony has made the Wii a non factor for me this gen. Nintendo has lost all connection with me. They brought me into this style of entertainment as a child, but Playstation and Microsoft have been keeping me in it. I could care less if Sony copied, because they proved their point about what a hardcore system does and no one can really defend Nintendo. This E3 is do or die for Nintendo....plain and simple.

Unless you play games... not to say there are a shit ton of games out there to try out and play, but there are a shit ton of games out there to try out and play.  Really there has never been a time where one console has made another a "non factor" any way you go about it you're gonna miss out on games, and if your hobby is gaming... then you're missing out on your hobby. Hell I had the Atari Jaguar, the console has like 2 good games on it cause it had such a short lifespan, but its 2 games I got to play and enjoy so my time was well spent. 

Honestly whenever I hear anyone trashing another console cause of one of the competitors made the said console not worth it, I simply see someone trying to justify a purchase of one rather than the other to people who simply don't care, and I hear "derp derp derp" going through my head whenever they're speaking, its the oddest thing.

I guess this all boils down to perspective my friend, so I'll spell it out. The Wii does have a "shit ton" of games out there to play, but an increasingly large amount of them are shovelware. Because of Sony's strictness with quality control I am already expecting Move titles beyond the Wii and thats the way I like it. I like to expect more as things evolve. As I've said in the past, I liked to play COD: WAW with my friends on the Wii, but thats on my friends Wii. I was planning to get a Wii when it came out with enough games that I wanted to play, but Sony basically filled the gap with a preliminary showing which I feel is superior to almost anything the Wii has out aside from a handful first party titles. The Move is basically a Wii-mote on crack and with the camera adds depth to the picture which the Wii cannot replicate unless they gather a camera themselves. It's not just about graphics for me, but that also helps paint the picture, especially if a shooter is involved. I never realized how great the possibilities for a wand shooter was on the Wii until a third party title like COD: WAW and with the PS3...I see that as a non-factor. Mod Nation Racers has replaced Mario Kart for me as a figure of taste. If I want Mario, I'll just create him.....and the scary part is......you can.

I'm not trashing the Wii, but I am stating how I feel growing up with Nintendo and feeling let down. (Example of trashing the Wii: The Wii is a POS!) The OP asked for a comment about how people feel about the situation and quite frankly cannot blame nor condone the way the situation has turned out.

To conclude with another perspective, I mainly talk to older people and the majority of my friends are in their late 20's. I will narrow them down to the friends who actually have the Wii, because the others just don't care for Wii titles unless it's a party game. I have a friend whom is 28 and has saved for a very long time to buy a house so he will not have to have an apartment. Everytime he sees us playing a 360 or PS3 he attributes his purchase to only having the Wii so he could focus on other things in life. He literally told me that if he had a PS3 or 360 he would either have to stop buying games for a long time (which is hard for him if he only has a fork out $60 or less for games after the console purchase). He knows Nintendo is lagging with the games he likes and finds that as a positive so he doesn't have to game. Yet...on his free time I see him at my friends house whom is 26 playing on his PS3 like a mad man (LOL you should see it). 

All my other friends who own the Wii and mainly play it for shooters like the game I previously mentioned were floored when they saw the GT Socom showing back home. These guys are not casual gamers by any means. They have game nights two times a week and play regularly on their own.

I go to an art school for illustration (but also dabble in graphics) but also trains furiously in animation and videogame development which has mainly PS3 and 360 owners and everyone games. The Wii owners admitted that they have been reduced in their free time to playing Tatsunoku (which is a lot of fun) and Brawl as multiplayer titles. When a PS3 or 360 party starts the room is filled. The gamers who create games has no time to play games, but because of the little money they have people swap games and they find it to be in their best interest when they have free time to swap PS3 or 360 games. This brings me to the time I had my paradigm shift about the Sony move, when gametrailers sent a flurry of Move videos our way actually showing us the possibilities. Being a students in a art/technological school, we obviously have to test this product to come up with a final idea, but from what we saw....purely as far as the core in gaming is concerned....its pretty much over unless Nintendo changes the game plan. PC is also the main thing everyone has in their room of course, but I am speaking of consoles. 

Are you somewhat starting to understand my point or at least the perspective?

P.S.

You also must admit the excitement is added for the possibilities knowing Microsoft and Sony are hugely behind 3rd parties. This means more quality titles.

Around the Network

All my friends sell their wii

My problem i play resident 4 in wii and i cant enjoy 3d person games with a pad now

strunge said:
Fededx said:
How could he sell something that was given to him AS A GIFT! That's rude...

it is far less rude than the gift giver believing that the recipient must hold onto it forever. 

but that distracts from the main point that if you are disheartened because someone has lost interest in a product you enjoy and prefers another, you may have severe emotional problems that need to be chekced out because such personalizing of a brand to that extent isn't healthy and is beyond the normal realm of brand allegiance.

Very nice.  It seems everyone who disagreed with the person who sold the Wii doesn't really know what a gift is.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Jordahn said:
strunge said:
Fededx said:

it is far less rude than the gift giver believing that the recipient must hold onto it forever. 

but that distracts from the main point that if you are disheartened because someone has lost interest in a product you enjoy and prefers another, you may have severe emotional problems that need to be chekced out because such personalizing of a brand to that extent isn't healthy and is beyond the normal realm of brand allegiance.

Very nice.  It seems everyone who disagreed with the person who sold the Wii doesn't really know what a gift is.

no, it is clear they are the ones that do.  you're the one who needs to do a simple oogle search on gift etiquette, it is perfectly acceptable for a recipient to return a gift, or even sell it. 

Cross-X said:
Are you disheartened because it was a gift you gave to your cousin and he sold it or because he sold the Wii for a PS3?

If it's because of the first reason, then I would sorta feel a bit disheartened. Yeah it's only a game console but still it's a gift from you so I wouldn't feel "OMG WHY DID HE DO THAT?!!" and be totally depressed about it but just feel a bit down.

If it's because of the second reason, then I wouldn't feel the same. I'm sure your cousin has certain games and genres he's more interested in that's on the PS3 and not on the Wii. That's simply his choice and preference and there' no point trying to do anything about it.

Thank you guys for replying, I actually didn't expect so many replies but I guess many people can relate. To answer your question a little bit of both but moreso the first reason. I mean my cousin has an Xbox 360 already and I personally don't believe owning both an Xbox 360 and a PS3. But yes it was a gift from me I mean I won that Wii in a machine then gave it to him, then he sold it. I'm a hyper Nintendo fan so that hurt but I will rub it in his face that I have games like MG2, Metroid etc.

Oh and he said Nintendo wasn't giving him what he wanted the he specified "Star Fox". The world the revolve around Star Fox you know. . . i'm just saying.

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

Around the Network
strunge said:
Fededx said:

emotional problems? dude he's my cousin. That would be like, you giving your girlfriend a ring then her selling it for money. It is rude. Now I'm not mad at him for it cause I understand it was his. As a matter of he has 9 siblings (4 brothers and 5 sisters) who all played the Wii, including my half-brother who lives with them so thats 10+ people who played it.

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

c0rd said:

Why did you give him the Wii? It was because you already had one, and perhaps he wanted one of his own, correct? If he planned on selling it, then there was no reason to give it to him. If you won $200, would you have given it to him?

I dunno. Personally, I think what he did was kind of bullshit. If I were him, I'd feel obligated to either keep the console, or at least offer you the money.

Of course, this has nothing to do with Nintendo vs Sony, only the fact that he sold what you gave to him. If it were 10 years back and he sold an N64 for a PS1, though, it'd be a different story. I'd definitely be pissed off. Really pissed off (mix of fanboyism with the above reason). Don't betray the big N!

btw, do you know when he sold it? Did he ever play the thing? Just curious.

i gave it to him because he was my cousin. and no actually I don't know when he sold it. they did play it, well his family and my half brother did but not sure about him playing it. but whenever I brought my Wii and smash brothers over we would play all day.

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

puffy said:
lol :P hey if he wasn't happy with it then why not sell it and buy something he'd enjoy? That's why I got the PS3, the Wii didn't have the games I wanted to play last year and I didn't want to wait around for Galaxy 2, Metroid: Other M and Zelda Wii and then have another long drought. I didn't sell my Wii though and haven't even contemplated that, I love Mario, Metroid, Zelda and all the games I already own so that'd be dumb lol

DS is basically dead to me as well.. So I await the 3DS as my next portable system and hope it has games more to my taste :)

The moral of the story is next time, don't give your friends anything, sell it yourself for something you want.

no, it was not my friends it was my cousin. does that change anything?

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

Joelcool7 said:

I don't know of anyone who sold their Wii. I know a friend sold his DS for a PSP then had to go out and buy a new DS a few months later. I tend to discourage friends from selling consoles or games, I remind them that their not only loosing their money their closing doors to experiances. If you sell that game then five years from now wanna go back and play it, your out of luck.

I used to always sell my consoles and games as soon as the newest Nintendo system hit the market but today I look back and want to play EarthBound but no I don't have an SNES and finding a copy of EarthBound under 100$ is next to impossible. Its not on VC and we never got the collection on GBA. Infact I wish I had held on to all my games and consoles I'd be a much happier person.

In the end, I would be royally pissed if I were you. Because the console was a gift, you won it and gave it to him. You just don't sell gifts, at least I don't and I don't know anyone else who does at least not for like awhile. Sure a garage sale like ten years later you hear of people selling wedding gifts and such. But for the most part you don't sell a gift and especially not for another console thats a slap in the face.

Moral of the story, if you get a free console. Hold onto it, you won it not somebody else.

It is a slap in the face. He has a 360. He can't really afford too many PS3 games I know that for a fact. But at least if he still had the Wii I could be like alright you can borrow some of my games.

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

jneul said:

sad story the wii is still an amazing console yes ps3 is a beast but if someone gave me a wii and i did not own one i would keep it:):)

oh well when he misses out on SMG2, Zelda and Metroid make sure to rub it in his face;)

Oh don't worry I WILL :)

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .