By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I Am Disheartened . . .

Kasz216 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
c0rd said:
strunge said:
Jordahn said:
strunge said:
Fededx said:
How could he sell something that was given to him AS A GIFT! That's rude...

it is far less rude than the gift giver believing that the recipient must hold onto it forever. 

but that distracts from the main point that if you are disheartened because someone has lost interest in a product you enjoy and prefers another, you may have severe emotional problems that need to be chekced out because such personalizing of a brand to that extent isn't healthy and is beyond the normal realm of brand allegiance.

Very nice.  It seems everyone who disagreed with the person who sold the Wii doesn't really know what a gift is.

no, it is clear they are the ones that do.  you're the one who needs to do a simple oogle search on gift etiquette, it is perfectly acceptable for a recipient to return a gift, or even sell it. 

This isn't just a standard gift, you're missing the context. It goes like this:

*OP wins a Wii with cousin nearby*

"Cool, I have two Wii's now, but I'm fine with just owning one. Whatever will I do with the second one... Oh! Did you want one, cousin? You can have it, then. Enjoy!"

"Yeah, cool. Thanks!"

*cousin takes the Wii home and sells it*

You're trying to tell me that recipient isn't an asshole?

The Wii was given under the expectation that the cousin had more use for it than the OP did. That is the only reason why it was given away (and since the recipient was there when it happened, he knows this). In a world where you can expect these kind of gifts to be sold back like that, we wouldn't give them out in the first place. It'd look something like this:

*OP wins a second Wii*

Cousin: Aww, damn! Lucky you! I wish I had a Wii.

OP: Actually, with this, I have two Wii's now. I have no use for this one though. Hmm...

Cousin: ... *looks hopeful*

OP: Yeah, I've decided. I'm sellin' this bitch! Need me some weed money!

Also, being disheartened because your cousin, friend or whoever does not share your interests does not equate to "severe emotional problems." Seriously, what the hell are you talking about? As far as I know, most people get along better when their interests are more aligned. Just look at this very website, the social groups tend to be segregated based on game tastes.

People really take this anti-fanboyism thing to crazy extremes, this thread is a perfect example. Everyone has to pretend like they have no attachments to their hobbies, and it's bullshit. If my friends all lost interest in video games, that'd be horrible, because I couldn't talk to them about it, would no longer play games with them, etc. Replace "video games" with "Nintendo games," or any other interest and you have a very similar situation.

Technically his cousin isn't an asshole. He's done nothing wrong. For instance, which is worse....selling or trading away a gift you paid for and thought they would like or a gift you got for free and thought they would like? Truthfully.....it probably cost him less than a dollar to get it. He should be proud because he saved his cousin 300 on a console whichever way you slice it. The smile on his cousins face should suffice. A gift is meant to be given to either help or please the one you give it to....it's not done for your own intentions.

They're both as bad.  He could of sold it for 200-300 dollars himself if that was the case.

The gift was given soley because the cousin said he was going to use it.  It wasn't his birthday or something.

I mean, if you go up to somebody and say "Hey I don't need a second one of these, do you want it" you are asking "Do you want it"

Not "do you want to sell this, which I could also sell because I have no need for money."

You can't tell me with a straight face, you wouldn't care if you had an extra of something, gave it to someone and they immediatly sold it.  I mean hell, you could of just as eaisly did that and you would of had that money.

Of course, if you really wouldn't care.  Please feel free to mail me anything extra you have of any value.  I totally will be grateful pawning everything, and you can be happy just giving someone the extra stuff that could of been cash money for you.

My family constantly returns Christmas gifts. Really....no one gets offended as long as they found what they want with what the giver gave. My family gives me gift cards because they never get it right. I am actually the only one who doesn't get returned presents because I actually pay attention to my family's likes and dislikes. I like to listen. This is why I can understand his view from a emotional standpoint and I can understand his cousin from a satisfaction standpoint.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
c0rd said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Technically his cousin isn't an asshole. He's done nothing wrong. For instance, which is worse....selling or trading away a gift you paid for and thought they would like or a gift you got for free and thought they would like? Truthfully.....it probably cost him less than a dollar to get it. He should be proud because he saved his cousin 300 on a console whichever way you slice it. The smile on his cousins face should suffice. A gift is meant to be given to either help or please the one you give it to....it's not done for your own intentions.

I thought by illustrating the absurdity that way would have got the point across, but I guess not.

Let me put it in simple terms: the Wii was not an unconditional gift. It was only given under the condition that his cousin had more use for a second Wii than he did.

This isn't a birthday present we're talking about - if he gave him a Wii for a present and the guy ended up selling it, that's his business. It's the fault of whoever bought the Wii that he didn't buy a better present - I understand that.

I know how annoying this can be because this has happened to me a few times before, albeit in a smaller scale. For example, in videogames like WoW when loot/gear is distributed, and one ends up winning an item that they don't really need from some boss. They offer it to some person, asking, "Do you want / need this?" If the person responds yes, it's under the assumption that they have use for the item itself. People who later just go off and sell the item are looked down upon, for good reason.

The concept is to give the item to whoever would make the most use of it.

Indeed.  If my friend gives me something because I can make better use of it... then I just can't.  I'm either keeping that, or asking my friend if he wants it back because I'm not going to use it anymore.

To just sell it is BS if I haven't cleared it with my friend first. 

I agree here with the part where if he didn't clear it with his cousin it cannot be taken well. It is important that they know before the exchange, especially if that cousin plays with you.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Kasz216 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
c0rd said:
strunge said:
Jordahn said:
strunge said:
Fededx said:
How could he sell something that was given to him AS A GIFT! That's rude...

it is far less rude than the gift giver believing that the recipient must hold onto it forever. 

but that distracts from the main point that if you are disheartened because someone has lost interest in a product you enjoy and prefers another, you may have severe emotional problems that need to be chekced out because such personalizing of a brand to that extent isn't healthy and is beyond the normal realm of brand allegiance.

Very nice.  It seems everyone who disagreed with the person who sold the Wii doesn't really know what a gift is.

no, it is clear they are the ones that do.  you're the one who needs to do a simple oogle search on gift etiquette, it is perfectly acceptable for a recipient to return a gift, or even sell it. 

This isn't just a standard gift, you're missing the context. It goes like this:

*OP wins a Wii with cousin nearby*

"Cool, I have two Wii's now, but I'm fine with just owning one. Whatever will I do with the second one... Oh! Did you want one, cousin? You can have it, then. Enjoy!"

"Yeah, cool. Thanks!"

*cousin takes the Wii home and sells it*

You're trying to tell me that recipient isn't an asshole?

The Wii was given under the expectation that the cousin had more use for it than the OP did. That is the only reason why it was given away (and since the recipient was there when it happened, he knows this). In a world where you can expect these kind of gifts to be sold back like that, we wouldn't give them out in the first place. It'd look something like this:

*OP wins a second Wii*

Cousin: Aww, damn! Lucky you! I wish I had a Wii.

OP: Actually, with this, I have two Wii's now. I have no use for this one though. Hmm...

Cousin: ... *looks hopeful*

OP: Yeah, I've decided. I'm sellin' this bitch! Need me some weed money!

Also, being disheartened because your cousin, friend or whoever does not share your interests does not equate to "severe emotional problems." Seriously, what the hell are you talking about? As far as I know, most people get along better when their interests are more aligned. Just look at this very website, the social groups tend to be segregated based on game tastes.

People really take this anti-fanboyism thing to crazy extremes, this thread is a perfect example. Everyone has to pretend like they have no attachments to their hobbies, and it's bullshit. If my friends all lost interest in video games, that'd be horrible, because I couldn't talk to them about it, would no longer play games with them, etc. Replace "video games" with "Nintendo games," or any other interest and you have a very similar situation.

They're both as bad.  He could of sold it for 200-300 dollars himself if that was the case.

The gift was given soley because the cousin said he was going to use it.  It wasn't his birthday or something.

I mean, if you go up to somebody and say "Hey I don't need a second one of these, do you want it" you are asking "Do you want it"

Not "do you want to sell this, which I could also sell because I have no need for money."

You can't tell me with a straight face, you wouldn't care if you had an extra of something, gave it to someone and they immediatly sold it.  I mean hell, you could of just as eaisly did that and you would of had that money.

Of course, if you really wouldn't care.  Please feel free to mail me anything extra you have of any value.  I totally will be grateful pawning everything, and you can be happy just giving someone the extra stuff that could of been cash money for you.

My family constantly returns Christmas gifts. Really....no one gets offended as long as they found what they want with what the giver gave. My family gives me gift cards because they never get it right. I am actually the only one who doesn't get returned presents because I actually pay attention to my family's likes and dislikes. I like to listen. This is why I can understand his view from a emotional standpoint and I can understand his cousin from a satisfaction standpoint.

Which would be fine... if this WAS a Christmas gift... it wasn't though.  It was just a gift out of the blue, for no particular reason other then his friend wanting a Wii.

Think of it another way, on a much smaller scale.  Say I buy a coke from the vending machine and a second one falls out.

I say to you... "Hey, you thirsty?  I'm not going two drink to cokes"

You say yes, then sell it to someone else for 75 cents.

I mean... that's shady.  Let alone with a 200.

There is different ettiquite between gifts you get because you "deserve" them via birthday, anniversary, Job milestone etc... or just a random happenstance gift of excess.