By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Digital Foundry : Alan Wake Tech Analysis

Lets just say its a good sub 720p game with great lighting and good atmosphere, Kotaku loves it. Nobody expect it to be Heavy Rain or Uncharted 2.

Around the Network

People need to get back to the whole reason we picked up control pads to begin with. Games are fun to play not because they are pretty to look at.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

coolbeans said:
Carl2291 said:
coolbeans said:
Carl2291 said:
coolbeans said:
^What reviews are you gathering?

Just take a look at Selnor's prediction thread, it says all i need to say

You might need to say a bit more than that .  That's for best graphics not a review thread to see whether or not it can hang with the "big dogs",  I don't recall seeing that in his thread.

That's what i meant!

I thought the thread was about graphics lol.

You said wasn't in the ring with the big boys.  Does that mean it's not in league with GoW3+U2 or something else entirely?  I've seen enough reviews make the statement that it is in league with the best on consoles but doesn't seem to be the best which is what sel's thread was about.

Well... It isn't. Because of one major detail.

It isn't HD.

Ajescent said:
People need to get back to the whole reason we picked up control pads to begin with. Games are fun to play not because they are pretty to look at.

Don't take it so hard. Sure, there are people who delve way too much into this, but they're either looking for a reason to troll it anyway, or buy into anyone saying "best graphix evar!!!1" way too easily.

Some of us are just genuinly interested in the technology powering the games we play though, and knowing the technological makeup of a game isn't really going to change anything about the quality of the game for us.

Carl2291 said:
coolbeans said:
Carl2291 said:
coolbeans said:
Carl2291 said:
coolbeans said:
^What reviews are you gathering?

Just take a look at Selnor's prediction thread, it says all i need to say

You might need to say a bit more than that .  That's for best graphics not a review thread to see whether or not it can hang with the "big dogs",  I don't recall seeing that in his thread.

That's what i meant!

I thought the thread was about graphics lol.

You said wasn't in the ring with the big boys.  Does that mean it's not in league with GoW3+U2 or something else entirely?  I've seen enough reviews make the statement that it is in league with the best on consoles but doesn't seem to be the best which is what sel's thread was about.

Well... It isn't. Because of one major detail.

It isn't HD.

Did you read the article? It says the resolution was a good decision.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

Around the Network
Rainbird said:
Ajescent said:

Don't take it so hard. Sure, there are people who delve way too much into this, but they're either looking for a reason to troll it anyway, or buy into anyone saying "best graphix evar!!!1" way too easily.

Some of us are just genuinly interested in the technology powering the games we play though, and knowing the technological makeup of a game isn't really going to change anything about the quality of the game for us.

I know some people enjoy looking at the visuals of some games, I for one enjoy watching flOwer in action and FF13 as well as Uncharted 2 have had moments where I've stopped playing and thought..."wow", but what I really don't get is people who latch on to every exclusive and label it best graphics eva!!! If it wasn't Killzone 2, it was Uncharted 2 then it's God of War 3. On the other side of the coin, Metro 2033, Alan Wake and as I said earlier, I look forward to Reach threads popping up.

What REALLY annoys me is when a bandwagon is formed for a game thought to be 360 exclusives (Splinter Cell, Mass Effect 2, Brink) are hyped to infinity and beyond and called best graphics eva contenders but the moment a whisper appears that it might appear on the ps3, all support for it is dropped and it's like it never existed.

A part of me thinks that if AW was multi, Selnor wouldn't actually be helming the bandwagon...just a theory but whatever.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Booh! said:
Lord Flashheart said:
shanbcn said:
I think that KZ2 still is best looking game out there. Closet thing to CGI, im the only one thinking that way?

No it's still Crysis.

I'm tired of saying this all the time, but there's a lot of things that KZ2 does better than Crysis...

Doesn't mean it looks better.

Alan wake does a lot of things better than God of War 3 but doesn't mean it looks better.

Yakuzaice said:
Lord Flashheart said:
@MikeB U2 took two years because the had laid the ground work with U1.
A better comparison for development time would have been GT5 not a sequel.

You are as good as spin as Selnor but without the personality.

Uncharted 1 didn't take 5 years either though.  Jak 3 came out in '04, Jak X in '05, and Uncharted released in '07

Gears one didn't take five years neither did 2. Whats your point.

One 360 game did. Doesn't mean you can draw comparison with a game that didn't and say look how long that took.

Like I said compare it to GT5 not a sequel. Or God of War 3 how long did that take? Heavy Rain? maybe this is revenge for all the times 360 owners have ridiculed how long it takes a Ps3 game to come out but doesn't change the facts no matter how much you spin it.

Ajescent said:

I know some people enjoy looking at the visuals of some games, I for one enjoy watching flOwer in action and FF13 as well as Uncharted 2 have had moments where I've stopped playing and thought..."wow", but what I really don't get is people who latch on to every exclusive and label it best graphics eva!!! If it wasn't Killzone 2, it was Uncharted 2 then it's God of War 3. On the other side of the coin, Metro 2033, Alan Wake and as I said earlier, I look forward to Reach threads popping up.

What REALLY annoys me is when a bandwagon is formed for a game thought to be 360 exclusives (Splinter Cell, Mass Effect 2, Brink) are hyped to infinity and beyond and called best graphics eva contenders but the moment a whisper appears that it might appear on the ps3, all support for it is dropped and it's like it never existed.

A part of me thinks that if AW was multi, Selnor wouldn't actually be helming the bandwagon...just a theory but whatever.

Proof.

Proof 360 owners have have acted like Ps3 owners on the same scale or any scale. That is what PS3 owners do and the reverse. As soon as a 360 exclusive comes out on the PS3 all the hate and ridicule is gone from them.

Part of me thinks is Alan Wake was PS3 exclusive PS3 owners would have a problem with jumping on the hate bandwagon ...just a fact but whatever.

Non HD, HD, best grapix eva, "up der with the big dogs" meh I dont care.

Just hope it does well enough that Remedy will finish their PC version. This game SCREAMS "Play me in your Gaming Chair with Headphones on!" to me :)