Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Digital Foundry : Alan Wake Tech Analysis

@dahuman: You're confusing presentation and art style with graphics. We were talking about the potential technical jumps of AW that according to you could never reach the level of improvement from UC1 to UC2, weren't we? I give you evidence that the technical jump isn't THAT big, and all you can say is how many awards it got? You say that to dismiss what's been put in front of you.. Suddenly you turn to subjective claims and opinions to determine technical jumps.. Yeah.. Real sound argument there.. But whatever keeps your boat floating.

And are you saying Dirt 2 doesn't look good? O.o I would hardly call this a bad looking game..

http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/8/2/6/0/1/6/Dirt_360_003.jpg.jpg

No that's no bullshot. It's a direct feed screenshot of the X360 version, taken by DF. Anyway, even if that's not a good enough example. What about GRID then? F.E.A.R. 2? HAWX? Resident Evil 5? Are you gonna say those are not good looking either? Sounds like you're in some serious circular reasoning..

Truth does not fear investigation

Around the Network
dahuman said:
slowmo said:
dahuman said:
slowmo said:
Reasonable said:
Holy heck look at this thread go.

I now live in actual fear of the similar thread for when DF analyze Halo : Reach final code.

Wait for the first analysis on the next PS3 title to go sub HD and all the 3d titles that will be downgraded heavily.  It will be a blood bath of petty users on here getting "revenge".  Besides by that time we'll have renamed the Microsoft forums Sony Discussion part 2.

You know, if John Carmack already acknowledges that the PS3 is more powerful than the 360 overall, then all else is moot to me atm. It's already a known fact that id said that the PS3 Rage would look better too, and I can't wait to see that thing on my PC. I love how he doesn't sugar coat shit and just says it, and I respect them for not making "equal" versions like other lazy ass devs and actually tries to push all hardwares. It's also going to be interesting when Crysis 2 comes out, I really want to see how the engine performs on the consoles personally.

Those Carmack comments can be twisted either way, personally I think using dev comments as some form of "proof" is ridiculous debating practice.  If you want to start silly games with dev quotes then call Raz in her and he'll give you 10 pages of debate proving the opposite of what you believe is true.  There is enough evidence to show that at the moment the PS3 appears to be marginally more powerful, this may of course change in the future though.

Na I just listen to John Carmack, I don't really give a rat's ass about what other devs say, not to mention my PC easily rapes HD consoles, prolly not even 20% of the power of my PC.

I don't listen to any devs and my PC is more than capable of running nearly any game at 1920x1200 in excess of 60fps.  Unfortunately I'm an achievement whore so when a game is on PC and 360 unless I want to play it competitively I generally buy them for the 360 ususally.

Lord Flashheart said:
pizzahut451 said:
slowmo said:
Reasonable said:

I now live in actual fear of the similar thread for when DF analyze Halo : Reach final code.

Wait for the first analysis on the next PS3 title to go sub HD and all the 3d titles that will be downgraded heavily.  It will be a blood bath of petty users on here getting "revenge".  Besides by that time we'll have renamed the Microsoft forums Sony Discussion part 2.

was there ever a post from you that didnt talked about those bad sony fanboys ruining MS thread???? I would really like to know that.

Was there ever an MS thread that wasn't ruined by sony fanboys

Nah, no chance of that happening. I never play xbox much. I mainly play MW2 on it. But I grew bored of that game. I will be playing xbox again when Halo Reach comes out(I am a huge halo hater. But looks like it may be good this time)

NightAntilli said:

@dahuman: You're confusing presentation and art style with graphics. We were talking about the potential technical jumps of AW that according to you could never reach the level of improvement from UC1 to UC2, weren't we? I give you evidence that the technical jump isn't THAT big, and all you can say is how many awards it got? You say that to dismiss what's been put in front of you.. Suddenly you turn to subjective claims and opinions to determine technical jumps.. Yeah.. Real sound argument there.. But whatever keeps your boat floating.

And are you saying Dirt 2 doesn't look good? O.o I would hardly call this a bad looking game..

http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/8/2/6/0/1/6/Dirt_360_003.jpg.jpg

No that's no bullshot. It's a direct feed screenshot of the X360 version, taken by DF. Anyway, even if that's not a good enough example. What about GRID then? F.E.A.R. 2? HAWX? Resident Evil 5? Are you gonna say those are not good looking either? Sounds like you're in some serious circular reasoning..

I said don't expect it, not could never, my name is not S****r. HD consoles are so limited in power that what might not look like a minor deal is actually quiet a big improvement in optimizing the engines. Not to mention those are dynamic AA, not full fledged, and after having played all those on PC, I do think they look like ass on consoles, so sue me.

slowmo said:
dahuman said:
slowmo said:
dahuman said:
slowmo said:
Reasonable said:

You know, if John Carmack already acknowledges that the PS3 is more powerful than the 360 overall, then all else is moot to me atm. It's already a known fact that id said that the PS3 Rage would look better too, and I can't wait to see that thing on my PC. I love how he doesn't sugar coat shit and just says it, and I respect them for not making "equal" versions like other lazy ass devs and actually tries to push all hardwares. It's also going to be interesting when Crysis 2 comes out, I really want to see how the engine performs on the consoles personally.

Those Carmack comments can be twisted either way, personally I think using dev comments as some form of "proof" is ridiculous debating practice.  If you want to start silly games with dev quotes then call Raz in her and he'll give you 10 pages of debate proving the opposite of what you believe is true.  There is enough evidence to show that at the moment the PS3 appears to be marginally more powerful, this may of course change in the future though.

Na I just listen to John Carmack, I don't really give a rat's ass about what other devs say, not to mention my PC easily rapes HD consoles, prolly not even 20% of the power of my PC.

I don't listen to any devs and my PC is more than capable of running nearly any game at 1920x1200 in excess of 60fps.  Unfortunately I'm an achievement whore so when a game is on PC and 360 unless I want to play it competitively I generally buy them for the 360 ususally.

understandable, though that's the reason I hate achievements and trophies in general, they mentally force people to play uh, questionable games a lot.

Around the Network
dahuman said:
slowmo said:
dahuman said:
slowmo said:
dahuman said:
slowmo said:
Reasonable said:

understandable, though that's the reason I hate achievements and trophies in general, they mentally force people to play uh, questionable games a lot.

I'm not that sort of achievement whore, I just enjoy collecting the difficult but fun ones generally.  If an achievement means a game is not enjoyable to get it then I will not go for it as I don't see the point, this should be entertainment after all.

slowmo said:
pizzahut451 said:
slowmo said:
Reasonable said:

was there ever a post from you that didnt talked about those bad sony fanboys ruining MS thread???? I would really like to know that.

Yes, do you ever ask a question that doesn't have a blatantly obvious answer?

Just a couple of hints by the way a sentence always starts with a capital.  The rest of your statement is a complete car crash grammar wise too.  You should have phrased it along these lines:

Has there ever been a post from you that didn't talk about Sony fanboys ruining a MS thread?  I would really like to know that please? 

The above question would have yielded a more polite response from myself as I might have taken your question as a serious query rather than just trying to cause trouble. 

My polite answer might have mentioned the fact I never mention anyone being fanboys, there are plenty of Sony fans in general that ruin threads who I don't consider fanboys.  I think you should take some time to consider that not everyone who misbehaves on a forum has to be a fanboy, they can actually just be annoying people believe it or not.  I'm not saying there isn't Microsoft and Nintendo fans that don't troll, the difference is that they generally don't invade other forum areas and wreck 75% of all threads, as frequently happens in the MS boards.  Just remind me again why you're viewing this thread exactly by the way?

@dirkd2323 - Both U2 and GOW3 run at 720p 30fps (not 60 fps).

First of all, nice comback, very original.

Second, sorry if my grammar hurted your feelings, i wasn't paying much attention to the grammar, i had a phone call.

Third, you didnt even answer my question. Also, you are very wrong about the bolded part. There are plenty of people who invade PS3 threads, but you choose to ignore them and delude yourself.I mean, if you're gonna talk about people invading threads, dont just talk about PS3 side.There was this thread about developers coming to the PS3 and praising its power and yes, it dot invaded.

selnor said:
Hmmm. Digital Foundry seem to think technically, Alan Wake is right up there with GOW3 and UC2 on there full tech analysis.

Here is some quaotations from Digital Foundries tech analysis.

"Alan Wake's well-realised motion blur helps gives the impression that the frame-rate is smoother than its standard 30FPS. Attention to detail in this engine is second to none."

"Alan Wake's expert use of light, shadow and atmospheric effects is one of the highlights of the game. There's nothing quite like it on any other console game and it's a substantial tech achievement."

"Certainly though, the sense of scale that Alan Wake creates in the final shipping game is phenomenal"

"the basic building blocks for a bloody good game are in evidence and the technology is clearly state-of-the-art."

Further and much more impressive is Remedies latest comments.

"We already have a few bigger changes in mind that could free up as much as 30 per cent processing time, but they were too big to do for Alan Wake 1. But it's not all about improving the engine. We also learned what kind of content works and looks the best with the engine we have, and can, from day one, make cooler stuff in the future. Expect the downloadable content to benefit from this already somewhat."

no it is not up there with GOW3,GOW3 has the most detailed character and scenaries.US2 is better overall too.

Alan is gonna be a very highend and it will be difficult to top the above two but still we will have to wait and see.May 18th the day we find out.

You comment - 9Further and much more impressive is Remedies latest comments.

"We already have a few bigger changes in mind that could free up as much as 30 per cent processing time, but they were too big to do for Alan Wake 1. But it's not all about improving the engine. We also learned what kind of content works and looks the best with the engine we have, and can, from day one, make cooler stuff in the future. Expect the downloadable content to benefit from this already somewhat.")

we know it is there in the article and we can read it.is this you attept to say not all hope is lost,REMEDY are making changes.Stop checking and posting

CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:
Hmmm. Digital Foundry seem to think technically, Alan Wake is right up there with GOW3 and UC2 on there full tech analysis.

Here is some quaotations from Digital Foundries tech analysis.

"Alan Wake's well-realised motion blur helps gives the impression that the frame-rate is smoother than its standard 30FPS. Attention to detail in this engine is second to none."

"Alan Wake's expert use of light, shadow and atmospheric effects is one of the highlights of the game. There's nothing quite like it on any other console game and it's a substantial tech achievement."

"Certainly though, the sense of scale that Alan Wake creates in the final shipping game is phenomenal"

"the basic building blocks for a bloody good game are in evidence and the technology is clearly state-of-the-art."

Further and much more impressive is Remedies latest comments.

"We already have a few bigger changes in mind that could free up as much as 30 per cent processing time, but they were too big to do for Alan Wake 1. But it's not all about improving the engine. We also learned what kind of content works and looks the best with the engine we have, and can, from day one, make cooler stuff in the future. Expect the downloadable content to benefit from this already somewhat."

@ highlighted: Hmmm....not exactly. When you go on to read the full article, they make comparisons to Uncharted 2. They say WAKE falls short of it on several areas.

Nothing to take from WAKE, I'm expecting a gripping experience. However, considering the reviews and this analysis, I'm not expecting quite the technical achievements seen in those two titles. To put that much expectation on it is not really fair either. Those guys at Santa Monica & Naughty Dog know the PS3 like the back of their hands. Of course, that's not to take anything from Remedy. I just don't think they've squeezed quite the results from the 360 as Santa Monica and Naughty Dog have from the PS3.

exatly

pizzahut451 said:
slowmo said:
pizzahut451 said:
slowmo said:
Reasonable said:

Yes, do you ever ask a question that doesn't have a blatantly obvious answer?

Just a couple of hints by the way a sentence always starts with a capital.  The rest of your statement is a complete car crash grammar wise too.  You should have phrased it along these lines:

Has there ever been a post from you that didn't talk about Sony fanboys ruining a MS thread?  I would really like to know that please? 

The above question would have yielded a more polite response from myself as I might have taken your question as a serious query rather than just trying to cause trouble. 

My polite answer might have mentioned the fact I never mention anyone being fanboys, there are plenty of Sony fans in general that ruin threads who I don't consider fanboys.  I think you should take some time to consider that not everyone who misbehaves on a forum has to be a fanboy, they can actually just be annoying people believe it or not.  I'm not saying there isn't Microsoft and Nintendo fans that don't troll, the difference is that they generally don't invade other forum areas and wreck 75% of all threads, as frequently happens in the MS boards.  Just remind me again why you're viewing this thread exactly by the way?

@dirkd2323 - Both U2 and GOW3 run at 720p 30fps (not 60 fps).

First of all, nice comback, very original.

Second, sorry if my grammar hurted your feelings, i wasn't paying much attention to the grammar, i had a phone call.

Third, you didnt even answer my question. Also, you are very wrong about the bolded part. There are plenty of people who invade PS3 threads, but you choose to ignore them and delude yourself.I mean, if you're gonna talk about people invading threads, dont just talk about PS3 side.There was this thread about developers coming to the PS3 and praising its power and yes, it dot invaded.

Thank you I do try to give my critics an honest appraisal of the situation, I'm glad you found it so original and inspiring to take another swing.

The answer to your question was yes but you could have found that out by searching my post history, pretty lazy of you in my opinion.

Your grammar didn't hurt my feelings at all, I just wanted to point out that if you want to lecture someone at least have the decency to put some effort into your post.

No I'm afraid you're completely delusional regarding the bolded, but you're welcome to carry on in your little dream world.

By the way it's not didnt, it's didn't.

For the record you didn't answer my question either, what are you still doing in here when you have zero interest in Alan Wake?  You seem to be going out of your way to prove my point right.