By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Digital Foundry : Alan Wake Tech Analysis

slowmo said:
dahuman said:
slowmo said:
Reasonable said:
Holy heck look at this thread go.

I now live in actual fear of the similar thread for when DF analyze Halo : Reach final code.

Wait for the first analysis on the next PS3 title to go sub HD and all the 3d titles that will be downgraded heavily.  It will be a blood bath of petty users on here getting "revenge".  Besides by that time we'll have renamed the Microsoft forums Sony Discussion part 2.

You know, if John Carmack already acknowledges that the PS3 is more powerful than the 360 overall, then all else is moot to me atm. It's already a known fact that id said that the PS3 Rage would look better too, and I can't wait to see that thing on my PC. I love how he doesn't sugar coat shit and just says it, and I respect them for not making "equal" versions like other lazy ass devs and actually tries to push all hardwares. It's also going to be interesting when Crysis 2 comes out, I really want to see how the engine performs on the consoles personally.

Those Carmack comments can be twisted either way, personally I think using dev comments as some form of "proof" is ridiculous debating practice.  If you want to start silly games with dev quotes then call Raz in her and he'll give you 10 pages of debate proving the opposite of what you believe is true.  There is enough evidence to show that at the moment the PS3 appears to be marginally more powerful, this may of course change in the future though.

Perhaps you missed something:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/post.php?post=3383588&page=1&postnum=1

Around the Network
Booh! said:
slowmo said:
dahuman said:
slowmo said:
Reasonable said:

I now live in actual fear of the similar thread for when DF analyze Halo : Reach final code.

Wait for the first analysis on the next PS3 title to go sub HD and all the 3d titles that will be downgraded heavily.  It will be a blood bath of petty users on here getting "revenge".  Besides by that time we'll have renamed the Microsoft forums Sony Discussion part 2.

You know, if John Carmack already acknowledges that the PS3 is more powerful than the 360 overall, then all else is moot to me atm. It's already a known fact that id said that the PS3 Rage would look better too, and I can't wait to see that thing on my PC. I love how he doesn't sugar coat shit and just says it, and I respect them for not making "equal" versions like other lazy ass devs and actually tries to push all hardwares. It's also going to be interesting when Crysis 2 comes out, I really want to see how the engine performs on the consoles personally.

Those Carmack comments can be twisted either way, personally I think using dev comments as some form of "proof" is ridiculous debating practice.  If you want to start silly games with dev quotes then call Raz in her and he'll give you 10 pages of debate proving the opposite of what you believe is true.  There is enough evidence to show that at the moment the PS3 appears to be marginally more powerful, this may of course change in the future though.

No I think you completely missed the point, the demo was running on 360 the rest of that is dev speak which is garbage without evidence of the game running to prove it.  I remember Terminal Reality boasting how much more powerful the PS3 was, look how that turned out.  Why is it none of you question why none of these devs are willing to show the PS3 versions publically if they're running so much better?  I already told you quoting devs as evidence is ridiculous, throw any link you like along, its all the same rubbish.

Booh! said:
slowmo said:
dahuman said:
slowmo said:
Reasonable said:

You realise we have the same situation with Crysis 2, dont you. One guy says currently the PS3 version is ahead. Then 1 month later head project leader states that 1 week PS3 team have outdone the 360 team, and the week after the 360 team have outdone the PS3 team. It's so close that the 2 teams are outdoing each other constantly. So whos to say that now Rage is better on 360 currently? Just pointig this out.

CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:
Hmmm. Digital Foundry seem to think technically, Alan Wake is right up there with GOW3 and UC2 on there full tech analysis.

Here is some quaotations from Digital Foundries tech analysis.

"Alan Wake's well-realised motion blur helps gives the impression that the frame-rate is smoother than its standard 30FPS. Attention to detail in this engine is second to none."

"Alan Wake's expert use of light, shadow and atmospheric effects is one of the highlights of the game. There's nothing quite like it on any other console game and it's a substantial tech achievement."

"Certainly though, the sense of scale that Alan Wake creates in the final shipping game is phenomenal"

"the basic building blocks for a bloody good game are in evidence and the technology is clearly state-of-the-art."

Further and much more impressive is Remedies latest comments.

"We already have a few bigger changes in mind that could free up as much as 30 per cent processing time, but they were too big to do for Alan Wake 1. But it's not all about improving the engine. We also learned what kind of content works and looks the best with the engine we have, and can, from day one, make cooler stuff in the future. Expect the downloadable content to benefit from this already somewhat."

@ highlighted: Hmmm....not exactly. When you go on to read the full article, they make comparisons to Uncharted 2. They say WAKE falls short of it on several areas.

Nothing to take from WAKE, I'm expecting a gripping experience. However, considering the reviews and this analysis, I'm not expecting quite the technical achievements seen in those two titles. To put that much expectation on it is not really fair either. Those guys at Santa Monica & Naughty Dog know the PS3 like the back of their hands. Of course, that's not to take anything from Remedy. I just don't think they've squeezed quite the results from the 360 as Santa Monica and Naughty Dog have from the PS3.

I agree tho the game plays great and has an amazing story, i still see it fall below U2 graphicly and if it falls short of U2 then it falls short of GOW3. Gotta love Naughty Dog and Sony Santa Monica tho Remedy just earned massive points in my book.

I Hate the fact that all these pillows are contaminated by retard!!

slowmo said:
Reasonable said:

Thinking on this further, it strikes me that post Natal and Move we might well see motion control games appearing in multi-platform guise on the Wii, PS3 and 360 and that there is bound to be analysis of which looks better and which has better responsiveness and more precise motion controls...

Oh. My. God.  Those would surely be the mother of all comparison scenarios?

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

i doubt it look as good as uncharted 2. maybe if they put it on PC but noooooo MS has to be greedy

Never thought of that.
I can't wait.

slowmo said:

No I think you completely missed the point, the demo was running on 360 the rest of that is dev speak which is garbage without evidence of the game running to prove it.  I remember Terminal Reality boasting how much more powerful the PS3 was, look how that turned out.  Why is it none of you question why none of these devs are willing to show the PS3 versions publically if they're running so much better?  I already told you quoting devs as evidence is ridiculous, throw any link you like along, its all the same rubbish.

This quote is very true, don't trust the devs trying to sell you something it mostly turns out to be bull. I know John Carmack is the man but hes not the one who made that statement so I wouldn't believe any of it.

About Terminal Reality though those guys were just full of crap the only reason they were trying to hype up the PS3 ghostbusters is because SONY owns the freaking brand, they were obviously in over their heads and their "multiplatform" engine IS crap.

Kushalafang said:
slowmo said:

This quote is very true, don't trust the devs trying to sell you something it mostly turns out to be bull. I know John Carmack is the man but hes not the one who made that statement so I wouldn't believe any of it.

About Terminal Reality though those guys were just full of crap the only reason they were trying to hype up the PS3 ghostbusters is because SONY owns the freaking brand, they were obviously in over their heads and their "multiplatform" engine IS crap.

Indeed, Ghostbusters said volumes about the devs, not the PS3!

dahuman said:
Yet another thread that had potential turned into a pile of shit, good job people, that's what I come to the forums for! I live for this shit!

On a side note, I think a guy was asking about AW not being in the same league as the big boys like UC2 or God of War 3, well, it isn't, as much as I hate pulling the meta card, it's the opinions of the reviewers averaged to get a general idea of how the masses would view the game, and currently, AW has a very good score of 84, but it's not the awesome scores of 96 of UC2 or the 93 of God of War 3. I fail to see why it matters however provided that it's supposed to be entertainment and if the people playing it are entertained, then the people in Remedy did their jobs right.

Oh and Selnor, we've talked about this, 720p+4xMSAA=not possible with current gen consoles, what you should pay attention to is the tessellation unit in the ATI hardware, not that eDRAM part. 30% more optimization in the current AW Engine would be used elsewhere, more stable frame rate, more visual effects or detail in objectss, but don't expect the level of jump from UC to UC2 from it. I bring up the tessellation unit for a simple reason, it would not be used to get more detailed graphics like the DX11 PC games because the 360's power is limited, but what it can do is save a lot of memory and create room for other things, if the devs can make good use of it anyways.

The jump from UC1 to UC2 isn't really that big at all.. And please spare me the "have you even played the game" crap (not necessarily aimed at you, but at the rest in here). They fixed the screen tearing (which cleared up the image a LOT, look at this: http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/digitalfoundry-uncharted-the-v-sync-difference?size=hd ), added SSAO, some other minor improvements and different color palette and done.. They could easily do the same with AW. Though AW might need a bit more work. UC1's biggest problem was the performance. AW's biggest problem is animations. And oh, lemme give you two screens of UC1 and UC2 and you be the judge.. Even though the 2nd one is a bullshot in both these examples..

http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/8537/imguncharted20drakes20fm.jpg

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/997/6867h.jpg

or

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/3032/e3uncharteddrakesfortun.jpg

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/6259/uc2attrainshootouts.jpg

But yeah, you're right about the consoles being too weak for 720p+4xMSAA in general, though there are some games that pull it off with a consistent framerate, like Dirt 2, NFS Shift and F.E.A.R. 2. 

Truth does not fear investigation