By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Digital Foundry : Alan Wake Tech Analysis

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it continues

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network
Lord Flashheart said:
Yakuzaice said:

MikeB was banned for an unrelated post, so arguing with him would be quite the waste of time (not that this isn't).  The whole argument of development times was his.  My issue was your complaint that Uncharted 2 had some sort of advantage due to being a sequel.  Instead of the logical shift to looking at the original, you decide to make the leap to GT5 a game that hasn't even been released.  How would that make a good comparison?

Once again, you had brought up Gears in some attempt to prove that 360 games don't all take 5 years.  I never said anything about them taking that long.  I didn't even mention any 360 games in my original post.  Yet you felt the need to inform me in the very first line of your response that Gears 1 and 2 did not take 5 years to develop.  Why?

4. I never said they all took that long. I've asked you who said that but you can't answer that because no-one did. It was a silly unfounded comment that you can't take back. I informed you GoW 1 and 2 didn't take 5 years because  you informed me poorly that Jak 3 & 4 took how ever many years which I later found out when you finally explained your point was brought up to show naughty dog, a studio bigger than remedy had been working on other games. If you had said that in your first post I would have pointed out that, like your Jak comment, was not needed here.

5. You have misunderstood but continued down this path and got even more confused. If your point was U2 didn't have an advantage then why couldn't you say that? Why does it take you several post later to explain yourself? His comment was completely not needed in the discussion but as he bought it up and I wanted it to be fairer you seem to have a problem with that and not the fact dev times meant nothing. You wanted to back him up for some reason?

You are right. This has been pointless for me but maybe you'll understand several post later. /amazed at this

I'm not even going to bother with the first 3 points because you still don't seem to understand I don't care about the development time comparison.  I was just explaining how Uncharted 1 satisfies your issue with using Uncharted 2 as a comparison.

4. My entire point was you were fighting shadows with your comment about Gears.  How can I tell you who said something when I felt your point was completely irrelevent and was a response to nobody?  Seriously, you say you brought up Gears because I outlined Naughty Dog's release schedule before the first Uncharted.  Why?  What does Gears have to do with anything?

5. Let's look at how this conversation went.  I made a short comment about how the development of the first Uncharted was almost identical to the second despite not being a sequel.  A quality that you had stated contributed to a shorter development time.  Then in response to this you make a completely dijointed post trying to transform this into some sort of system war (which admittedly might have been MikeB and Selnor's intent as well) rather than a comparison between two individual games.  I respond asking what Gears, God of War, GT5, and Heavy Rain have to do with the development times of Alan Wake and Uncharted, and you pretty much say "well MikeB is trolling so why can't I".

So I suppose your point is you were trolling and it was a waste of time commenting on the fallacy that being a sequel shortened Uncharted 2's development time.  Gotcha'

Though I will commend you for shortening the quote tree, I had meant to do that earlier.

selnor said:

I am not after a shit storm guys. I have been a substantial arse of a fanboy in the past.

But yeah here.

"Alan Wake's expert use of light, shadow and atmospheric effects is one of the highlights of the game. There's nothing quite like it on any other console game and it's a substantial tech achievement."

Now I know MikeB is trying to downplay the comment. But he has casually missed of the end of the comment. If they arent meaning these things to be the best, then they wouldnt end with it's a substantial tech achievement.

What baffles me, is people here see what they want.

I never said Alan Wake was the best, even based on what I read. What I said was the following:

Alan Wake leads in Lighting, Effects and attention to detail according to the tech analysis. Also it has an impressive draw distance to boot. Clever ways of making 540p not even seem like 540p and an impressive way for the human eye to not detect screen tearing.

Now, take it how you will. Without a doubt Alan Wake is right up there with the top boys from the videos. And I'm sure Alan wake will blow anyone away that sees it on an HDTV. Again Remedy have optimized their engine further since going gold. Of which they have found an extra 30 percent. And they believe they can draw more out of the CPU yet again. So what would that translate to. 720P 4xAA? higher res textures? higher character models?

Who knows. But certanly Remedy are nor finished with the 360 by the sounds of things.

Anyone who starts with all the BS I used to do saying that any 1 game is easily beating another now is seriously dillusional. I was. I got caught up in the fanboy BS. Bottom line is Uncharted 2 looksamazing. GOW 3 looks amazing. Alan Wake looks amazing. KZ2 looks amazing. At the end of the day, all of these games will drop your jaw to the floor at some point or another. That is very obvious.

So everyone quit trying to twist a tech analysis ( you should see the comments on DF comments page on thsi article. PS3 fans have gone nuts, claiming biased towards 360 at DF just because they say it has the best lighting etc. I mean they have gone really nuts. And they haven't even played it ).

Enjoy it, and be happy that the 360 is obviously nowhere near it's limit yet. :)

PEace guys.

Actually the PS3 fans in the comments section are pissed because of this statement: "Few can argue with the assertion that Sony's mammoth network of first-party games studios has produced astonishing software in recent times. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and God of War III see the PS3 producing state-of-the-art visuals and gameplay that seem to hurdle the hardware limitations of the console running them almost effortlessly."

Take from that comment what you will.

Well this was pointless!

Im sure Alan Wake looks pretty nice, however due to mistakes in development I really do doubt that you can say that all the time spent making the game was spent making this game in its present form. Remedy are a small 40 man studio so effectively the time spent on Alan Wake was aproximately one year of Killzone 2 full production given their 180+ developer strong size at that point.

Tease.

i think that the DF analysis made pretty clear that Alan Wake is not at the same level as Uncharted 2, God Of War 3, or Killzone 2, you can see that every time that they compared AW vs. U2, the latter always ended winning....

IMO, the 540p it's what makes the game not at the same level as GOW3,KZ2 or U2...because the OGBuffer it's one of the most hardware stressing buffers... i don't know, but...

in the Analysis, DF says that there's Screen Tearing, Framerate Drops (Unnoticeable..but technically they're there), it's running at 540p, the lighting system is a mixed bag of pre-baked shadows and low/high resolution shadows...

I'm Back! - Proud owner of the best doomed handheld of all time!

Around the Network
Lord Flashheart said:
Ajescent said:

I know some people enjoy looking at the visuals of some games, I for one enjoy watching flOwer in action and FF13 as well as Uncharted 2 have had moments where I've stopped playing and thought..."wow", but what I really don't get is people who latch on to every exclusive and label it best graphics eva!!! If it wasn't Killzone 2, it was Uncharted 2 then it's God of War 3. On the other side of the coin, Metro 2033, Alan Wake and as I said earlier, I look forward to Reach threads popping up.

What REALLY annoys me is when a bandwagon is formed for a game thought to be 360 exclusives (Splinter Cell, Mass Effect 2, Brink) are hyped to infinity and beyond and called best graphics eva contenders but the moment a whisper appears that it might appear on the ps3, all support for it is dropped and it's like it never existed.

A part of me thinks that if AW was multi, Selnor wouldn't actually be helming the bandwagon...just a theory but whatever.

Proof.

Proof 360 owners have have acted like Ps3 owners on the same scale or any scale. That is what PS3 owners do and the reverse. As soon as a 360 exclusive comes out on the PS3 all the hate and ridicule is gone from them.

Part of me thinks is Alan Wake was PS3 exclusive PS3 owners would have a problem with jumping on the hate bandwagon ...just a fact but whatever.

Well...Selnor did hype the shit out of Lost Planet 2, then when it got announce multiplat,...well, no more hype, to say the least

Euphoria14 said:
Who cares, the game still looks absolutely fantastic!

But, not as good as 3D Dot Game Heroes...am I right?

@ Kushalafang

Hardware limitations?  Yea, that's a hoot, huh?  The only real limitation I can think of that the PS3 really suffers from is only having a 2x Blu-ray drive.  But that must not be that big a deal, as evidenced by Uncharted 2, GoW3, and FF13 not having to have installs.

thismeintiel said:
Euphoria14 said:

@ Kushalafang

Hardware limitations?  Yea, that's a hoot, huh?  The only real limitation I can think of that the PS3 really suffers from is only having a 2x Blu-ray drive.  But that must not be that big a deal, as evidenced by Uncharted 2, GoW3, and FF13 not having to have installs.

Yep honestly that comment was like 'hey I gotta compliment ps3 stuff now since in comparison they are kicking butt at the moment, but I hate that damn console so much so a underhanded bitch word is a must so hence" situation tbh :D funneh really

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Kushalafang said:
selnor said:

I am not after a shit storm guys. I have been a substantial arse of a fanboy in the past.

But yeah here.

"Alan Wake's expert use of light, shadow and atmospheric effects is one of the highlights of the game. There's nothing quite like it on any other console game and it's a substantial tech achievement."

Now I know MikeB is trying to downplay the comment. But he has casually missed of the end of the comment. If they arent meaning these things to be the best, then they wouldnt end with it's a substantial tech achievement.

What baffles me, is people here see what they want.

I never said Alan Wake was the best, even based on what I read. What I said was the following:

Alan Wake leads in Lighting, Effects and attention to detail according to the tech analysis. Also it has an impressive draw distance to boot. Clever ways of making 540p not even seem like 540p and an impressive way for the human eye to not detect screen tearing.

Now, take it how you will. Without a doubt Alan Wake is right up there with the top boys from the videos. And I'm sure Alan wake will blow anyone away that sees it on an HDTV. Again Remedy have optimized their engine further since going gold. Of which they have found an extra 30 percent. And they believe they can draw more out of the CPU yet again. So what would that translate to. 720P 4xAA? higher res textures? higher character models?

Who knows. But certanly Remedy are nor finished with the 360 by the sounds of things.

Anyone who starts with all the BS I used to do saying that any 1 game is easily beating another now is seriously dillusional. I was. I got caught up in the fanboy BS. Bottom line is Uncharted 2 looksamazing. GOW 3 looks amazing. Alan Wake looks amazing. KZ2 looks amazing. At the end of the day, all of these games will drop your jaw to the floor at some point or another. That is very obvious.

So everyone quit trying to twist a tech analysis ( you should see the comments on DF comments page on thsi article. PS3 fans have gone nuts, claiming biased towards 360 at DF just because they say it has the best lighting etc. I mean they have gone really nuts. And they haven't even played it ).

Enjoy it, and be happy that the 360 is obviously nowhere near it's limit yet. :)

PEace guys.

Actually the PS3 fans in the comments section are pissed because of this statement: "Few can argue with the assertion that Sony's mammoth network of first-party games studios has produced astonishing software in recent times. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and God of War III see the PS3 producing state-of-the-art visuals and gameplay that seem to hurdle the hardware limitations of the console running them almost effortlessly."

Take from that comment what you will.

Lol, any console that's 4+ years old has hardware limitations, given that if they were a PC they're components would probably be obsolete within a year or  two of release.

That's why engines are so important-not just because they act on the strengths on the consoles, but more significantly because they work within the weakness and limitations of a console. Limited ram is a good example of a hardware limitation.

thismeintiel said:
Euphoria14 said:

@ Kushalafang

Damn right!

Unlike Alan Wake 3D Dot Game Heroes had a reviewer flat out say that it has the best graphics ever.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!