By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Digital Foundry : Alan Wake Tech Analysis

@scoobies. Finally someone on here that can answer questions even when he's not asked them.
We will but wonder if that's what MikeB meant and as for you're last paragraph, a point that will be lost on non-360 owners in this and any other AW thread but well put.

Around the Network
themanwithnoname said:
Carl2291 said:
coolbeans said:
Carl2291 said:
coolbeans said:
Carl2291 said:
coolbeans said:
^What reviews are you gathering?

Just take a look at Selnor's prediction thread, it says all i need to say

You might need to say a bit more than that .  That's for best graphics not a review thread to see whether or not it can hang with the "big dogs",  I don't recall seeing that in his thread.

That's what i meant!

I thought the thread was about graphics lol.

You said wasn't in the ring with the big boys.  Does that mean it's not in league with GoW3+U2 or something else entirely?  I've seen enough reviews make the statement that it is in league with the best on consoles but doesn't seem to be the best which is what sel's thread was about.

Well... It isn't. Because of one major detail.

It isn't HD.

Did you read the article? It says the resolution was a good decision.

True. They did. That doesn't mean it would have looked worse in HD though.

Guys, why are we discussing graphics? It's so pointless. Besides, the real important thing about video games is...SALES!! And Alan Wake isn't going to sell anywhere near Uncharted.

Oh yea, and...and...ATTACH RATES! How could I forget attach rates? Since the PS3 has a slightly lower install base, and since Alan Wake isn't going to sell as much as Uncharted, Alan Wake will have a lower attach rate than Uncharted.

And also, we all know the real graphics king is coming this Tues, 3D DOT GAME HEROES!! It will have better lighting and shadows and overall graphics than any title before it.

I want to address a few inaccuracies I've seen posted in this and other AW threads. First off screen tearing is rarely an issue. And no i'm not a 360 ass kisser, RE5 and ME1 I found to be at some points nearly unplayable thanks to the tearing issues on 360. But in AW it is very rare and considering the scale of the game, it is far more forgivable than some lesser 360 titles which suffer from it a lot more.

Some of the textures are awful, the animations are weak, and some of the random character models are pretty last gen. But what this game does well is the effects and lighting, in many was these cover some of the prime flaws.

I said it on page 1 and I'll say it again, this is a must play title for any horror fan with access to a 360. GOTY? Likely only for a few, but it is certainly a quality offering, and I commend Remedy for the work they have done.

XBL: WiiVault Wii: PM me  PSN: WiiVault

PC: AMD Athlon II Quadcore 635 (OC to 4.0ghz) , ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (x2)

MacBook Pro C2D 2.8ghz, 9600m GT 512 iMac: C2D 2.0, X2600XT 256

Are attachment rates, for when atcual sales go against your argument

Around the Network
Lord Flashheart said:
Yakuzaice said:
Lord Flashheart said:
Yakuzaice said:
Lord Flashheart said:

So he can bring up other games to make unfair comparisons.

I understand.

I can't do the same or ask he uses a game with a comparable dev time?

I understand. I'm in the wrong.

MikeB didn't first bring up Uncharted 2, the article and Selnor did.  The development time tangent was somewhat odd, but your comment didn't make any more sense.  You complained that using a sequel was unfair, and yet ignored the original game.  Then you brought up Gears for no apparent reason.  Nobody said that every 360 game takes 5 years.  You might have had a point if Remedy had done Gears and Naughty Dog had done Gran Turismo 5.  The discussion was comparing the graphics of Uncharted 2 and Alan Wake, and thus the talent Naughty Dog and Remedy have with working on their respective systems.

You brought up Jak 3 and X so I bought up two games that didn't take long to release. Why did you bring them up?

Selnor never mentioned dev times for U2. MikeB did and it was out of place. If he wants to make comapirsons on dev times he should pick more comparable games. How is that difficult to understand? I didn't ignore the first one. I mentioned it in the first post? I don't have someone else who hasn't read the whole conversation have I? the discussion I was in was about dev times as started by MikeB so have a go at him?Who implied that every 360 game takes 5 years?

have you actually read the replies or just skimmed them? Again what is your point?

/exasterbated

Hmm, that's a tough one.  Maybe because we were talking about Uncharted and I was giving a timeline of Naughty Dog's releases before the first Uncharted game came out?

The only thing you mentioned about Uncharted 1 was that Uncharted 2 benefited due to work put into the first game.  Then you disregarded it as an example of development time for a game that wasn't a sequel.  You acted as if the only reason there was a two year development time was because it was a sequel, and then brought up Gears of War, GT5, and God of War when I commented that the first Uncharted was developed in a similar amount of time.

Are you reading the posts?  I said that his development time tangent was odd, but it still stemmed from the original comparison between Alan Wake and Uncharted 2.  You brought up Gears of War as an example of a 360 game that didn't take 5 years, so clearly you felt you had to assault some notion that 360 games all took 5 years.

If you had explained yourself like that it would have made sense but you didn't.
Anyway it is an unfair comparison. Why does it matter how long AW took to make or U2? How does the fact U2 took less time impact AW? That was the issue I and others had with him. What does the dev time for both games have to do with anything?

What does the timeline of naughty dog have to do with anything? or remedy? I bought up GT5 before you came into this. It suits whatever point MikeB was trying to make better than U2. Who did I assault? Again where did this notion that all 360 games take 5 years come from? Seriously where are you getting all this from? Why can't you answer my questions? you just (finally) clarified some of the points you made avoiding the issue. Why aren't you having (or assaulting) a go at MikeB over this. I asked a legitimate question to him and you jumped in sticking up for him.

MikeB was banned for an unrelated post, so arguing with him would be quite the waste of time (not that this isn't).  The whole argument of development times was his.  My issue was your complaint that Uncharted 2 had some sort of advantage due to being a sequel.  Instead of the logical shift to looking at the original, you decide to make the leap to GT5 a game that hasn't even been released.  How would that make a good comparison?

Once again, you had brought up Gears in some attempt to prove that 360 games don't all take 5 years.  I never said anything about them taking that long.  I didn't even mention any 360 games in my original post.  Yet you felt the need to inform me in the very first line of your response that Gears 1 and 2 did not take 5 years to develop.  Why?

You guys think this thread got crazy, read that articles comments section. Also you wanna see a game on PS3 that looks exactly like ALAN WAKE look up Siren:Blood Curse dreadfully underrated game.

Who cares, the game still looks absolutely fantastic!

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Yakuzaice said:

MikeB was banned for an unrelated post, so arguing with him would be quite the waste of time (not that this isn't).  The whole argument of development times was his.  My issue was your complaint that Uncharted 2 had some sort of advantage due to being a sequel.  Instead of the logical shift to looking at the original, you decide to make the leap to GT5 a game that hasn't even been released.  How would that make a good comparison?

Once again, you had brought up Gears in some attempt to prove that 360 games don't all take 5 years.  I never said anything about them taking that long.  I didn't even mention any 360 games in my original post.  Yet you felt the need to inform me in the very first line of your response that Gears 1 and 2 did not take 5 years to develop.  Why?

Several things
1. the issue about development was his and I thought it was an unfair comparison.

2. I never said U2 had an advantage. It was pointless because it wasn't like for like. U2 did continue the ground work from U1 so why not use that? Same dev time right so in your eyes slightly fairer but still unrelated to the discussion.

3. GT5 has been in dev for the longest on the PS3 so if people are going to compare dev times then as AW has the longest on 360 use the longest on PS3. Makes sense right. Of course the whole point of dev times has no merit but he bought it up so it was only fair for me to point out it should be like for like. Game A looks good on console A, unrelated game B looks good on unrelated console B. But game B took less time to make. Erm, so what? but that's was the avenue he went down. If you have issues with me am I not allowed to have issues with him?

4. I never said they all took that long. I've asked you who said that but you can't answer that because no-one did. It was a silly unfounded comment that you can't take back. I informed you GoW 1 and 2 didn't take 5 years because  you informed me poorly that Jak 3 & 4 took how ever many years which I later found out when you finally explained your point was brought up to show naughty dog, a studio bigger than remedy had been working on other games. If you had said that in your first post I would have pointed out that, like your Jak comment, was not needed here.

5. You have misunderstood but continued down this path and got even more confused. If your point was U2 didn't have an advantage then why couldn't you say that? Why does it take you several post later to explain yourself? His comment was completely not needed in the discussion but as he bought it up and I wanted it to be fairer you seem to have a problem with that and not the fact dev times meant nothing. You wanted to back him up for some reason?

You are right. This has been pointless for me but maybe you'll understand several post later. /amazed at this

Rainbird said:
selnor said:
Woe guys.

I havent said Alan Wake is the best. According to DF Alan Wake has the best lighting, Effects and Attention to Detail this gen. They said that. With 30 percent more already available, it will be interesting to see where they go.

I said up there with those games. Not beating them. Man guys.

Now I'm being stupid for posting after my previous post, but I don't see anywhere that DF have said that. They said the attention to detail in the engine was second to none, but that's the only thing I can find that has any semblance to what you said.

I am not after a shit storm guys. I have been a substantial arse of a fanboy in the past.

But yeah here.

"Alan Wake's expert use of light, shadow and atmospheric effects is one of the highlights of the game. There's nothing quite like it on any other console game and it's a substantial tech achievement."

Now I know MikeB is trying to downplay the comment. But he has casually missed of the end of the comment. If they arent meaning these things to be the best, then they wouldnt end with it's a substantial tech achievement.

What baffles me, is people here see what they want.

I never said Alan Wake was the best, even based on what I read. What I said was the following:

Alan Wake leads in Lighting, Effects and attention to detail according to the tech analysis. Also it has an impressive draw distance to boot. Clever ways of making 540p not even seem like 540p and an impressive way for the human eye to not detect screen tearing.

Now, take it how you will. Without a doubt Alan Wake is right up there with the top boys from the videos. And I'm sure Alan wake will blow anyone away that sees it on an HDTV. Again Remedy have optimized their engine further since going gold. Of which they have found an extra 30 percent. And they believe they can draw more out of the CPU yet again. So what would that translate to. 720P 4xAA? higher res textures? higher character models?

Who knows. But certanly Remedy are nor finished with the 360 by the sounds of things.

Anyone who starts with all the BS I used to do saying that any 1 game is easily beating another now is seriously dillusional. I was. I got caught up in the fanboy BS. Bottom line is Uncharted 2 looksamazing. GOW 3 looks amazing. Alan Wake looks amazing. KZ2 looks amazing. At the end of the day, all of these games will drop your jaw to the floor at some point or another. That is very obvious.

So everyone quit trying to twist a tech analysis ( you should see the comments on DF comments page on thsi article. PS3 fans have gone nuts, claiming biased towards 360 at DF just because they say it has the best lighting etc. I mean they have gone really nuts. And they haven't even played it ).

Enjoy it, and be happy that the 360 is obviously nowhere near it's limit yet. :)

PEace guys.