By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Digital Foundry : Alan Wake Tech Analysis

Lord Flashheart said:
pizzahut451 said:
slowmo said:
Reasonable said:
Holy heck look at this thread go.

I now live in actual fear of the similar thread for when DF analyze Halo : Reach final code.

Wait for the first analysis on the next PS3 title to go sub HD and all the 3d titles that will be downgraded heavily.  It will be a blood bath of petty users on here getting "revenge".  Besides by that time we'll have renamed the Microsoft forums Sony Discussion part 2.

was there ever a post from you that didnt talked about those bad sony fanboys ruining MS thread???? I would really like to know that.

Was there ever an MS thread that wasn't ruined by sony fanboys

Haven't you talked to slowmo? All MS threads are really Sony Discussions part 2.

I wounldn't say Sony fanboys ruin MS threads, they put them back on track!

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
slowmo said:
pizzahut451 said:
slowmo said:
Reasonable said:

I now live in actual fear of the similar thread for when DF analyze Halo : Reach final code.

Wait for the first analysis on the next PS3 title to go sub HD and all the 3d titles that will be downgraded heavily.  It will be a blood bath of petty users on here getting "revenge".  Besides by that time we'll have renamed the Microsoft forums Sony Discussion part 2.

was there ever a post from you that didnt talked about those bad sony fanboys ruining MS thread???? I would really like to know that.

@dirkd2323 - Both U2 and GOW3 run at 720p 30fps (not 60 fps).

Slight correction: God of War III ran at a variable framerate (30-60fps), while Uncharted 2 was rock solid 30. Regardless, this place has become a haven for WAKE negativity and should just be closed down at this point.

Well having actually played the game myself I can honestly say a lot of the criticism is undeserved.  At no point playing Alan Wake have I noticed the resolution as an issue and the frame rate for all intensive appearances is solid to the human eye.  The only criticism I can lay at the door of the game that significantly lowers the graphical experience is the awful lip syncing, it is a very unwelcome distraction.  Gears, Uncharted and many other games leave the game in the dust in that respect and I don't understand how they got it so bad, they must have played other games in the last few years and realised gamers expectations would be higher in this regard. 

Thanks for the correction by the way, I don;t know where I read GOW3 was 30fps, if I find out then I will not be trusting them.

patapon said:
Lord Flashheart said:
pizzahut451 said:
slowmo said:
Reasonable said:

Haven't you talked to slowmo? All MS threads are really Sony Discussions part 2.

One small correction, fanboys ruin any and every thread they enter, it doesn't matter on their allegiance.  A good sense of humour is always welcome

CGI-Quality said:
slowmo said:
CGI-Quality said:
slowmo said:
pizzahut451 said:
slowmo said:
Reasonable said:

Slight correction: God of War III ran at a variable framerate (30-60fps), while Uncharted 2 was rock solid 30. Regardless, this place has become a haven for WAKE negativity and should just be closed down at this point.

Thanks for the correction by the way, I don;t know where I read GOW3 was 30fps, if I find out then I will not be trusting them.

Not a problem. Glad to hear you're enjoying the game. Just 4 days (technically 3.5) left for me!

You'll love it, the atmosphere and story drag you in! 

I think some 360 owners have not seen the splendour of GOW3 and UC2 on a decent sized and quality HD TV, both are by far the most technically accomplished games on consoles so far. I'm not just talking about the graphics I'm talking about the whole package such as lip syncing, animations, screen tear, framerate, resolution, uncompressed audio etc etc AND awesome gameplay. It has to be seen to be believed. UC2 is still king for me as it does story telling etc better the GOW3 and has better character models but then again GOW3 runs at a higher framerate for most parts of the game.

2008 and before was 360 all the way but 2009 onwards is definately better to be a PS3 owner. Still looking forward to Alan Wake next week. I reckon Gears 3 will be new graphics king for 360 next year. Wake still looks great, it does after all employ 4 x MSAA and a subtle motion blur which is always nice.

But c'mon guys gameplay over graphics man. Always and forever! Mario Kart Wii against mates is just amazing.

Around the Network
slowmo said:
CGI-Quality said:
slowmo said:
pizzahut451 said:
slowmo said:
Reasonable said:

Well having actually played the game myself I can honestly say a lot of the criticism is undeserved.  At no point playing Alan Wake have I noticed the resolution as an issue and the frame rate for all intensive appearances is solid to the human eye.  The only criticism I can lay at the door of the game that significantly lowers the graphical experience is the awful lip syncing, it is a very unwelcome distraction.  Gears, Uncharted and many other games leave the game in the dust in that respect and I don't understand how they got it so bad, they must have played other games in the last few years and realised gamers expectations would be higher in this regard. 

Completely agree with the bolded from both! Also amazed at the gaming community's short term memory... Let's bring up GTA4, many considered aesthetically superior on PS3 despite having a lower resolution than it's 360 counterpart.

My point is resolution doesn't make a game prettier... higher resolutions require more detailed high quality textures. If the resolution is too high and the textures don't follow through than said texture will be too soft as seen in example from the game Lair...

As for frame rate personally whenever any game hits 60 fps my eyes literally orgasm secreting a sticky white fluid, while my hdtv screen becomes smooth as butter. I notice a couple instances of it occurring in GoW3 and it was a joy to see. I can deal with 20-30 fps, but oh what a joy it is to see 60 fps consistently. I always turn on higher framerate option in Bioshock games (although that game has framerate problems up the whazooo I feel like)

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-

patapon said:
Lord Flashheart said:
pizzahut451 said:
slowmo said:
Reasonable said:

No, just ruin them

slowmo said:
dahuman said:
slowmo said:
Reasonable said:

You know, if John Carmack already acknowledges that the PS3 is more powerful than the 360 overall, then all else is moot to me atm. It's already a known fact that id said that the PS3 Rage would look better too, and I can't wait to see that thing on my PC. I love how he doesn't sugar coat shit and just says it, and I respect them for not making "equal" versions like other lazy ass devs and actually tries to push all hardwares. It's also going to be interesting when Crysis 2 comes out, I really want to see how the engine performs on the consoles personally.

Those Carmack comments can be twisted either way, personally I think using dev comments as some form of "proof" is ridiculous debating practice.  If you want to start silly games with dev quotes then call Raz in her and he'll give you 10 pages of debate proving the opposite of what you believe is true.  There is enough evidence to show that at the moment the PS3 appears to be marginally more powerful, this may of course change in the future though.

Na I just listen to John Carmack, I don't really give a rat's ass about what other devs say, not to mention my PC easily rapes HD consoles, prolly not even 20% of the power of my PC.

NightAntilli said:
dahuman said:
Yet another thread that had potential turned into a pile of shit, good job people, that's what I come to the forums for! I live for this shit!

On a side note, I think a guy was asking about AW not being in the same league as the big boys like UC2 or God of War 3, well, it isn't, as much as I hate pulling the meta card, it's the opinions of the reviewers averaged to get a general idea of how the masses would view the game, and currently, AW has a very good score of 84, but it's not the awesome scores of 96 of UC2 or the 93 of God of War 3. I fail to see why it matters however provided that it's supposed to be entertainment and if the people playing it are entertained, then the people in Remedy did their jobs right.

Oh and Selnor, we've talked about this, 720p+4xMSAA=not possible with current gen consoles, what you should pay attention to is the tessellation unit in the ATI hardware, not that eDRAM part. 30% more optimization in the current AW Engine would be used elsewhere, more stable frame rate, more visual effects or detail in objectss, but don't expect the level of jump from UC to UC2 from it. I bring up the tessellation unit for a simple reason, it would not be used to get more detailed graphics like the DX11 PC games because the 360's power is limited, but what it can do is save a lot of memory and create room for other things, if the devs can make good use of it anyways.

The jump from UC1 to UC2 isn't really that big at all.. And please spare me the "have you even played the game" crap (not necessarily aimed at you, but at the rest in here). They fixed the screen tearing (which cleared up the image a LOT, look at this: http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/digitalfoundry-uncharted-the-v-sync-difference?size=hd ), added SSAO, some other minor improvements and different color palette and done.. They could easily do the same with AW. Though AW might need a bit more work. UC1's biggest problem was the performance. AW's biggest problem is animations. And oh, lemme give you two screens of UC1 and UC2 and you be the judge.. Even though the 2nd one is a bullshot in both these examples..

http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/8537/imguncharted20drakes20fm.jpg

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/997/6867h.jpg

or

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/3032/e3uncharteddrakesfortun.jpg

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/6259/uc2attrainshootouts.jpg

But yeah, you're right about the consoles being too weak for 720p+4xMSAA in general, though there are some games that pull it off with a consistent framerate, like Dirt 2, NFS Shift and F.E.A.R. 2. 

They've pretty much changed half the game in UC2, not to mention UC1 was pretty much a wax game, I was hardly impressed with UC1 and though it was just "decent," where UC2 went ahead and won so many awards for one game in the recent years that it's ridiculous. Shots are pointless when the important part is seeing the action in motion and the reception of the audiences. You really have to hand it to the guys at ND because they really did make something impressive with UC2.

I'm sorry, I meant actual good looking games can't pull off 720p at 4xMSAA =P. Dirt 2 looks pretty nice in DX11 though.

@dahuman: You're confusing presentation and art style with graphics. We were talking about the potential technical jumps of AW that according to you could never reach the level of improvement from UC1 to UC2, weren't we? I give you evidence that the technical jump isn't THAT big, and all you can say is how many awards it got? You say that to dismiss what's been put in front of you.. Suddenly you turn to subjective claims and opinions to determine technical jumps.. Yeah.. Real sound argument there.. But whatever keeps your boat floating.

And are you saying Dirt 2 doesn't look good? O.o I would hardly call this a bad looking game..

http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/8/2/6/0/1/6/Dirt_360_003.jpg.jpg

No that's no bullshot. It's a direct feed screenshot of the X360 version, taken by DF. Anyway, even if that's not a good enough example. What about GRID then? F.E.A.R. 2? HAWX? Resident Evil 5? Are you gonna say those are not good looking either? Sounds like you're in some serious circular reasoning..

Truth does not fear investigation