By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 50 million sold

Tridrakious said:
Another thing to think about is Sony has probably ramped up manufactoring to meet demand and within the FY Sony will discontinue the production run of the PS2.

Moving those lines into PS3 development as well.

The PS2 sold just under 50k units this week, and moved over 300k units of software.

The PS2 isn't going away just yet

Around the Network

The PS2 and PSP are amazing moneymakers for Sony, they're just pure profit.

If they get rid of the PS2 this year, it'll be a stupid decision, might as well ride the river of cash it's STILL bringing in!

Considering that last fiscal year PS3 sold pretty poorly half of the whole fiscal year (before Slim) and it still managed to sell over 13 million I say why not. This year they easily sell couple million more units during the first half and with GT5 and Move they have pretty good chance to match last year holiday sales also. It is possible.

Carl2291 said:
psrock said:
TWRoO said:
leo-j said:
TWRoO said:
15 million in less than a year? no I don't think so.

remember your little thread saying that even with a price cut, sony wont make the 13 million prediction for april 2010?

I don't remember making a thread, though I do remember claiming similar things in some posts regarding a $50 cut, perhaps I also said it wouldn't happen with a $100 cut, but I said nothing about a new model. All that pushing Sony has done and they only just managed 13 million.

Don't get me wrong though, I do think it could be close. I think it should finish the fiscal year 2011 with 13-14 million. (so about 47-48 million in total)

" ONLY" 13 million. Most people in this site including me saw it as impossible. We laughed at Sony for suggesting such number. The source had articles to show how impossible it would be, now we are saying "only",  give me a break.

Add in the fact that there has been shortages... And it makes the 13 Million even more impressive.

I can't wait to see how many Sony have actually shipped.

I didn't say only 13 million, I said they only just managed their target, I can't remember my specific posts from when their projection was released, but I vaguely remember saying it would take a lot more than (another) $100 cut, which it did.

Now if it turns out VGC has been tracking low and Sony Shipped 15 million+ this past year, then very well, I was wrong then and will be wrong again come next year (well wrong about it not making 50 million, but I am basing that off current VGC numbers after all)

At the current rate the PS3 will struggle to exceed 15 million by next April, and assuming VGC is correct it is actually 16 million it needs. Perhaps if Sony is willing to give another big price cut they could just make it, but without a cut I think 13 million is a good estimate for the year, to gain 3 million it would have to be another $100.

I think the PS3 will be between 49-51m.

360 50-52

I guess we'll start seeing a lot of badly developed JRPGs in 2012. Most of the PS2 developers right now produce bad games for PS2 standards, let alone this generation...

Around the Network

Most of the JRPGs this gen have been bad anyways, well, for the PS3, most of them have been terrible ports, I mean, I was gonna' buy Resonance of Fate the other day, but have you seen how bad it looks compared to the 360 version? I thought Japanese devs were pro PS3, turns out triAce are different D: they even did a bad port of Star Ocean IV if you ask me! D:

But I think the PS3 this year could beat last years easily, I mean, there's still the holiday releases such as Gran Turismo 5, and I'm sure Socom 4 is out this year, or is it next? and there's PS Move too, and 3D, I don't see why it won't beat last years numbers by ATLEAST 2-3m...

The HD console momentum could swing back to the 360 late this year. 360 pricing, and to a lesser extent Natal, have the potential to advance the 360 and dampen down the PS3. So what MS does with the 360 may negatively affect PS3's chances of selling >15 million in FY11.

On the positive side of the ledger are GT5, Sony's own PS3 pricing plans, and Move. I don't see Move being huge, I think it will do OK but ti's not going to change to console landscape. GT5 will shift some HW possibly as much as a few 100K consoles. Sony could afford a $50 price cut later this year on the 120Gig, but with Move coming out at about the time Sony would be in a position to cut the price, if they decide to pack in the Move with all skus then that $50 cut would end up being a virtual cut. Perhaps if they sell a non-move 120Gig sku at a $50 price cut it would improve sales.

I don't see PS3 doing 16 million this year without a cheaper price tag. 13 million should be easy to manage.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

ok so we are talking 12months then the answer is NO unless sony has a price cut down to 250$.................then maybe

I believe it can be done and with Move around the corner AND GT5 anything can happen!

Tridrakious said:
I only want people to post if they are going to add to the discussion.

I want people to bring up games, features, services, etc. that supports there claims.

I don't want to see only Yes and No posts.

Would be a good idea to support your claims to begin with then. You didnt mention any reason why you think it will surpass 50 Million. Not that I dont agree it can do it, but you didnt tell us what makes you think that but you openly ask others to do it.

Edit: I see you did explain a few post later