By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 50 million sold

2012 isn't even in the discussion.

Sony's fiscal year of 2011 ends in March 2011. It started this past March, because that's when FY 2010 ended.

Around the Network

Is a possibility with PS3 being 3D compatible and Move, which makes the best of Natal and Wii.

I will say 46 numbers on Vgchartz (not shipped by Sony).

@Tridrakious Right now Sony IS on fiscal year 2010. March 31st was the end of fiscal year 2009. The fiscal year gets its name for the year it starts not the year it ends.

One more thing, 50 million? the PS3 is close to 35 million right now, they just sold more than 13.5 million last fiscal year (ended March 31st 2010). It's a given they will ship and sell more PS3s this year, why?

1- PS3 price since beginning of the year (both calendar and fiscal)

2- A lot stronger marketing effort (compared to fiscal year 2009, anyone can see the difference just in advertising which is only a -big- part of that)

3- Stronger software line-up all year which includes sales from flagship titles like God of War (even on the new fiscal year), and the upcoming release of BIG behemoth Gran Turismo 5, among other surprises to be revealed along the way for this fiscal year.

4- PlayStation Move is set to cause quite a stir. PS3 Move (bundles, especially) will move (arrg, not a stupid pun) hardware by the end of this calendar year, you can expect it to have an impact, so no surprises there.

5- Last but not least, rise of Blu-ray popularity will play its part even when the PS3 is/will be an expensive player on the market. You can add 3DTV gaming/movies here and any impact it'll have on hardware sales.

By the end of fiscal year 2010 (March 31st 2011), I could speculate the PS3 will have an installed base of over 48 million. I don't think it's so hard for Sony to accomplish that after the results they got from last year.

gekkokamen said:

@Tridrakious Right now Sony IS on fiscal year 2010. March 31st was the end of fiscal year 2009. The fiscal year gets its name for the year it starts not the year it ends.

One more thing, 50 million? the PS3 is close to 35 million right now, they just sold more than 13.5 million last fiscal year (ended March 31st 2010). It's a given they will ship and sell more PS3s this year, why?

2- A lot stronger marketing effort (compared to fiscal year 2009, anyone can see the difference just in advertising which is only a -big- part of that)

3- Stronger software line-up all year which includes sales from flagship titles like God of War (even on the new fiscal year), and the upcoming release of BIG behemoth Gran Turismo 5, among other surprises to be revealed along the way for this fiscal year.

4- PlayStation Move is set to cause quite a stir. PS3 Move (bundles, especially) will move (arrg, not a stupid pun) hardware by the end of this calendar year, you can expect it to have an impact, so no surprises there.

5- Last but not least, rise of Blu-ray popularity will play its part even when the PS3 is/will be an expensive player on the market. You can add 3DTV gaming/movies here and any impact it'll have on hardware sales.

By the end of fiscal year 2010 (March 31st 2011), I could speculate the PS3 will have an installed base of over 48 million. I don't think it's so hard for Sony to accomplish that after the results they got from last year.

You pretty much said exactly everything I was thinking, lol. I think that once they are able to producing enough to meet demand and with even heavier marketing like they've been doing with the kevin butler ads that there's even a chance that 50 million could be met but march'11

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

Around the Network
gekkokamen said:

If that is right, then thank you for the FY correction.

Either way I'm talking about the period of time that ends March 2011.

gekkokamen said:

Excellent analysis.  I disagree with #4, though.  I see Move mostly selling to the current install base, with just a few new customers getting the bundle.  But, I'm hoping Move will surprise me.  I think #5 is the most overlooked point.  As HD-TV's become more and more widespread, so will the people who want the new tech to make the most of their new TV.  And Blu-ray is where it is at.  As prices continue to fall, Blu-ray sales continue to rise.  This only bodes well for the PS3, as those who want a current gen gaming system and the most advanced movie experience will choose it.  I think 50 mil will be very possible.  And if not 50 mil, then it will be close enough to not matter.