By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 50 million sold

Icyedge said:
Stanislav.Ten said:
Alright, just chipping in my two cents, I personally think that PS3 will not make it to 50M unless something major occurs. The high sales have occurred last year due to the major price cuts on Sony's behalf as well as the release of PS3 Slim, which was similar as to when Xbox 360 Elite was released, there was a sales boost and the momentum carried on forward for several months, then the sales had reverted back to normal. If Sony are to achieve the same sales this year they will have to;

a)Slash the prices again(Operating at a loss already, I do not think they can afford to do this unless they start charging for PSN or other PS3 features)

b)Release some major titles - GT5, GT5 not even having a release date would possibly indicate that it is highly doubtful that it will come out this year, *MIGHT* be in time for Christmas for the little boost of sales.

Following the "a" strategy, the price slash, Sony will begin to lose even more capital, making the PS3 a further disappointment, PS2 at the same period in it's lifecycle was currently at approx. 50m sales, whether this upsets Sony in a way or not I do not know. The slash in price will just cause more loss for the company and cause implications such as introduction of fees for services to get some of the lost capital back.

Following the "b" strategy is highly doubtful, as GT5 does not even have an official set deadline date it is highly unlikely, yet there is a chance that it will come out this year, if it comes out in times for Christmas then it can be bundled mad and advertised like crazy, but chances are by then it will be too late to regain the lost time due to the "stale" period in which nothing new will occur. I must admit last years PS3 lineup was amazing, this years.. Not so much. Everything that could have contributed majorly to the sales has already been released - GoW3, Heavy Rain etc, but we'll have to wait till E3 to find out whether there is anything exciting occurring in the year.

On the 360 front however, there is unrest as several exclusive titles have been announced, they'll most likely to be bundled up thus boosting the sales of the hardware, but that is irrelevant except that possible customer base will be lost for the PS3.

It's a tough decision, but I don't think that PS3 will reach the 50M mark, it MIGHT breach the 45M mark, but that is if something extraordinary occurs.

Care to give us this extended list? All companies are waiting for E3 right now, they all have about the same number of things announced. Also the situation is complexier than a point a or b. Your trying to write something logical but its written biase all over it. Like "the sales had reverted back to normal", we would need a serious discussion to define normal here. Or "Sony will begin to lose even more capital, making the PS3 a further disappointment", here your insinuating that the PS3 is a disappointment for Sony at the moment.

"The slash in price will just cause more loss for the company and cause implications such as introduction of fees for services to get some of the lost capital back." Slashing price and selling at a loss is part of their strategy from the start. Up until now it has never cause introduction of fees for services. Youre also making abstraction that at the moment they are loosing less on each console sold than at any moment and of the raising in software/accesories sales.

"but chances are by then it will be too late to regain the lost time due to the "stale" period in which nothing new will occur." Your starting with the prerogative that nothing new will be announced, and is exageration anyway.

"but we'll have to wait till E3 to find out whether there is anything exciting occurring in the year." Then why arent you suspending your judgment.

"It's a tough decision, but I don't think that PS3 will reach the 50M mark" It didnt seems like it was a tough deicision at all, there was nothing positive or neutral in your post.

Also you first claim that: "The high sales have occurred last year due to the major price cuts on Sony's behalf as well as the release of PS3 Slim", but 2 paragraph later you say "I must admit last years PS3 lineup was amazing, this years.. Not so much. Everything that could have contributed majorly to the sales has already been released". Game lineup was important or not? im not sure now.

Well off the top of my head I can recall a few exclusives that may be causing some of the "I might just get a 360 for this game.." sort of thing, Alan Wake - definitely now the PC version has been discontinued, Splinter Cell Conviction which came out during this week - yet to see the sales of the first week, Mass Effect 2, Halo Reach and the announcement of Gears 3, despite being just outside the end of the year during which the PS3 is predicted to sell 50m by the OP but still relatively close to that date(April 2011). If you think about it,

There is an exclusive game that have been postponed for the last 4 years, bound to be hyped beyond belief by now.

Splinter Cell Conviction, in development for several years now with a large fanbase, although the FPS element may turn some of them off..

Mass Effect 2, highly acclaimed by the critics, despite lower sales figures it is still a juggernaut in the making - really surprised at the sales, expected considerably higher.

Halo Reach - The halo series are the juggernauts of Xbox, bound to increase sales provided the Beta is as awesome as they are hyping it to be.

Gears 3 - Another 360 juggernaut, the highest selling exclusive on Xbox, bound to be hyped up beyond belief.

By normal I mean somewhere borderline 200-300k, if averaging such figures up until November it will only result in a sum of 300K*7= 2.1M sales until November, if PS3 averages 700k for the duration of the Christmas period(nov-jan) - around 2.1M on top and then 500K in Feb, 400k in March and etc. It will round up to around 4.6M in sales, which is a strange figure to myself personally as to how 13M were achieved I am confused. Not being biased here but I have no clue how the consoles are being sold in such high numbers - both on the 360 and the PS3 front when the average sales are amounting to around 300-350k a month. Either the sales are ridiculously overtracked or I am just not getting it.

Imo, the Game lineup has just encouraged those who were on the verge of buying PS3 as it is, contributed - but in the slightest, the price slashes and the introduction of "Better, slimmer" models have boomed the sales, I know several of my friends who have gotten rid of their Phats and purchased a Slim instead, for whatever reason I am not sure..

I am stating that nothing new will likely to be introduced that will rival the scale to that of GT5, sure there will be exclusives but nothing will be hyped to an extent that PS juggernaut would if it were to be announced for this years release. I am suspending the judgment in a sense that the PS3 MIGHT achieve similar sales to that of last year without the price slashes and the release of new model to back them up, but no way could the sales mark hit 50M by this time next year. - 45M maybe, not 50. E3 can influence the sales of the console, but not by such a large margin, 3M increase seems like a large mark, optimistic but not realistic.

P.S By "normal" sales I was insinuating around 200-300k averaging a month up until Christmas.

The history is written by the Victors.

Around the Network

Sony is putting alot of resources into both Move and 3D.

3D tech is better now than it was decades ago. Plus we're at a point that consumer tv's can support full 3D in our homes. Plus Sony just announced their 3D tv initiative with the tv, glasses and 4 PS3 games.

Nah. 45-47 tops.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

I think its pretty doable only if Sony stop firing on their own foot. :$
They have good momentum and i see them releasing better and bigger games accompanied with better marketing also. Also with the release of Move if they market it well they can draw some Wii crowd towards PS3.

Plus marketing and advertising should be done more and more.. They still fail in PR.. honestly.. i mean they sold 1.1 Million GOW in Mar and we only get to know about it through NPD.. sony should have started touting about their sales a lot earlier.. 1.1 million sales means almost 1.5 million copies shipped.. So they could have spoken about it, i mean shipped numbers.

But they can falter badly also.. as they have recently shown with PSP Go.. I hope they have learned the lesson... no matter how good and cool the tech is, there is an upper limit on price which you can charge customer for the mainstream electronic gadget.. only if they have shipped Go at 199 it would have sold atleast 2x.. They did the same mistake with PS3 and they did it again with Go.. with PS3 it still made sense that the tech was expensive but with Go i m at lost why they did it. :S literally the one who told the price to be set at 250 should be fired.

So with Move they should price it very attractively.. They dont need to make all the money through Move hardware... and they should have a Move bundle at NOT MORE THAN $300 with PS3.. I hope they learn they cant loose the momentun on PS3 yet again.

There is a Move bundle that a game, the PlayStation Move and the PlayStation Eye that is under $100.
Which means the standalone Move should be $25-$40.
The Move will packaged in with the PS3 as well. I think Sony should make a bundle that has the 250gb PS3, Move/Navigator, PSEye, Champion Sports. All for $349.99.

Around the Network

Hrm... 50 million? I don't think so. I'll allow the PS3 to keep 13 million units for the year- an uptick from Move counters the slim launch effect fading. But that puts Sony at 47 million, 3 million shy. For profitability reasons, I don't see another price cut, but even if there was one, I'd add 1 million per $50 cut. I'm also seeing a X360 pricecut, which will eat into PS3's sales.

As for games helping it, I have to say no- those are needed just to keep it up with what happened last year. The PS3 was not in a vaccuum of no games last year. GT5 will be used to counter boosts from things like FF13. Games will not have a direct impact on year-over-year figures unless there are a TON more games, or a severe lack of games. Thus, I stand by my 47 million with no price cut for time ending March 31, 2011.

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

If Sony can stay even over this holiday season when compared to 2009 then the PS3 will hit 50 million units by the end of the FY.

Because there is about 5 months where PS3 will greatly improve over 2009 months. April-August 2010 will be greatly better than April-August 2009.

Where would the 16m systems be sold in the next year?

You'd need something like 6.5m Americas, 2.5m Japan, 7m Others and demand doesn't look like that high for PS3.

Microsoft and Sony are likely to cut price again this year, but Nintendo probably will too so it may be a bit of a wash on that side. Move / Natal effectively jack up the price of X360 and PS3 so I don't think they impact much until 2011 or later if ever.

PS3 and X360 may have peaked in the year ending March 2010, for X360 because of its age, for PS3 because Wii/X360 will drop below $200 soon.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

^
Wii is already below $200.. :x

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

Stanislav.Ten said:

Well off the top of my head I can recall a few exclusives that may be causing some of the "I might just get a 360 for this game.." sort of thing, Alan Wake - definitely now the PC version has been discontinued, Splinter Cell Conviction which came out during this week - yet to see the sales of the first week, Mass Effect 2, Halo Reach and the announcement of Gears 3, despite being just outside the end of the year during which the PS3 is predicted to sell 50m by the OP but still relatively close to that date(April 2011). If you think about it,

There is an exclusive game that have been postponed for the last 4 years, bound to be hyped beyond belief by now.

Splinter Cell Conviction, in development for several years now with a large fanbase, although the FPS element may turn some of them off..

Mass Effect 2, highly acclaimed by the critics, despite lower sales figures it is still a juggernaut in the making - really surprised at the sales, expected considerably higher.

Halo Reach - The halo series are the juggernauts of Xbox, bound to increase sales provided the Beta is as awesome as they are hyping it to be.

Gears 3 - Another 360 juggernaut, the highest selling exclusive on Xbox, bound to be hyped up beyond belief.

By normal I mean somewhere borderline 200-300k, if averaging such figures up until November it will only result in a sum of 300K*7= 2.1M sales until November, if PS3 averages 700k for the duration of the Christmas period(nov-jan) - around 2.1M on top and then 500K in Feb, 400k in March and etc. It will round up to around 4.6M in sales, which is a strange figure to myself personally as to how 13M were achieved I am confused. Not being biased here but I have no clue how the consoles are being sold in such high numbers - both on the 360 and the PS3 front when the average sales are amounting to around 300-350k a month. Either the sales are ridiculously overtracked or I am just not getting it.

Imo, the Game lineup has just encouraged those who were on the verge of buying PS3 as it is, contributed - but in the slightest, the price slashes and the introduction of "Better, slimmer" models have boomed the sales, I know several of my friends who have gotten rid of their Phats and purchased a Slim instead, for whatever reason I am not sure..

I am stating that nothing new will likely to be introduced that will rival the scale to that of GT5, sure there will be exclusives but nothing will be hyped to an extent that PS juggernaut would if it were to be announced for this years release. I am suspending the judgment in a sense that the PS3 MIGHT achieve similar sales to that of last year without the price slashes and the release of new model to back them up, but no way could the sales mark hit 50M by this time next year. - 45M maybe, not 50. E3 can influence the sales of the console, but not by such a large margin, 3M increase seems like a large mark, optimistic but not realistic.

P.S By "normal" sales I was insinuating around 200-300k averaging a month up until Christmas.

You know that the list you posted, the same thing can be said of the PS3 library and 2010 release. Anyway both companies will announce lots of things at E3, its not going to be stale on either side. About the numbers, you missed a BIG something, sales for PS3 at the moment are averagin at 200K-250K per WEEK lol. 1 million per month at this moment.

"I know several of my friends who have gotten rid of their Phats and purchased a Slim instead, for whatever reason I am not sure.." Did they sold their last one or keep the 2 of them? If they sold their old one then its a new customer not a duplicate purchase. Also im an owner of a BC 60 GB PS3 that I paid 600$ why in hell would I pay to downgrade to slim lol. Your surely exagerating the effect of duplicate purchase, software sales proves my point anyway (in case you dont know Sony sales more software per week than your idol even with a fewer install base, if there would be so much duplicate purchase as you were insinuating earlier this wouldnt be the case).