By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 50 million sold

I can say yeah it can get to that.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

Around the Network
SmoothCriminal said:
It'll be close. It depends on Sony's marketing. It's always kinda sucked, but they've been getting better. If they can keep improving, then yes they can.

Its not really about their marketing being bad, but more about the ressource they can use for marketing. Which should be bigger now compare to before. But surely cannot rival the ressource of Microsoft until the console sales with a profit.

Alright, just chipping in my two cents, I personally think that PS3 will not make it to 50M unless something major occurs. The high sales have occurred last year due to the major price cuts on Sony's behalf as well as the release of PS3 Slim, which was similar as to when Xbox 360 Elite was released, there was a sales boost and the momentum carried on forward for several months, then the sales had reverted back to normal. If Sony are to achieve the same sales this year they will have to;

a)Slash the prices again(Operating at a loss already, I do not think they can afford to do this unless they start charging for PSN or other PS3 features)

b)Release some major titles - GT5, GT5 not even having a release date would possibly indicate that it is highly doubtful that it will come out this year, *MIGHT* be in time for Christmas for the little boost of sales.

Following the "a" strategy, the price slash, Sony will begin to lose even more capital, making the PS3 a further disappointment, PS2 at the same period in it's lifecycle was currently at approx. 50m sales, whether this upsets Sony in a way or not I do not know. The slash in price will just cause more loss for the company and cause implications such as introduction of fees for services to get some of the lost capital back.

Following the "b" strategy is highly doubtful, as GT5 does not even have an official set deadline date it is highly unlikely, yet there is a chance that it will come out this year, if it comes out in times for Christmas then it can be bundled mad and advertised like crazy, but chances are by then it will be too late to regain the lost time due to the "stale" period in which nothing new will occur. I must admit last years PS3 lineup was amazing, this years.. Not so much. Everything that could have contributed majorly to the sales has already been released - GoW3, Heavy Rain etc, but we'll have to wait till E3 to find out whether there is anything exciting occurring in the year.

On the 360 front however, there is unrest as several exclusive titles have been announced, they'll most likely to be bundled up thus boosting the sales of the hardware, but that is irrelevant except that possible customer base will be lost for the PS3.

It's a tough decision, but I don't think that PS3 will reach the 50M mark, it MIGHT breach the 45M mark, but that is if something extraordinary occurs.

The history is written by the Victors.

With PS Move & Gran Turismo 5...I definitely believe so.

While it will break 45m, I'd speculate, but 50m would be pretty close. It could do it. Not impossible, unlikely, but not impossible.

Around the Network
Stanislav.Ten said:
Alright, just chipping in my two cents, I personally think that PS3 will not make it to 50M unless something major occurs. The high sales have occurred last year due to the major price cuts on Sony's behalf as well as the release of PS3 Slim, which was similar as to when Xbox 360 Elite was released, there was a sales boost and the momentum carried on forward for several months, then the sales had reverted back to normal. If Sony are to achieve the same sales this year they will have to;

a)Slash the prices again(Operating at a loss already, I do not think they can afford to do this unless they start charging for PSN or other PS3 features)

b)Release some major titles - GT5, GT5 not even having a release date would possibly indicate that it is highly doubtful that it will come out this year, *MIGHT* be in time for Christmas for the little boost of sales.

Following the "a" strategy, the price slash, Sony will begin to lose even more capital, making the PS3 a further disappointment, PS2 at the same period in it's lifecycle was currently at approx. 50m sales, whether this upsets Sony in a way or not I do not know. The slash in price will just cause more loss for the company and cause implications such as introduction of fees for services to get some of the lost capital back.

Following the "b" strategy is highly doubtful, as GT5 does not even have an official set deadline date it is highly unlikely, yet there is a chance that it will come out this year, if it comes out in times for Christmas then it can be bundled mad and advertised like crazy, but chances are by then it will be too late to regain the lost time due to the "stale" period in which nothing new will occur. I must admit last years PS3 lineup was amazing, this years.. Not so much. Everything that could have contributed majorly to the sales has already been released - GoW3, Heavy Rain etc, but we'll have to wait till E3 to find out whether there is anything exciting occurring in the year.

On the 360 front however, there is unrest as several exclusive titles have been announced, they'll most likely to be bundled up thus boosting the sales of the hardware, but that is irrelevant except that possible customer base will be lost for the PS3.

It's a tough decision, but I don't think that PS3 will reach the 50M mark, it MIGHT breach the 45M mark, but that is if something extraordinary occurs.

Care to give us this extended list? All companies are waiting for E3 right now, they all have about the same number of things announced. Also the situation is complexier than a point a or b. Your trying to write something logical but its written biase all over it. Like "the sales had reverted back to normal", we would need a serious discussion to define normal here. Or "Sony will begin to lose even more capital, making the PS3 a further disappointment", here your insinuating that the PS3 is a disappointment for Sony at the moment.

"The slash in price will just cause more loss for the company and cause implications such as introduction of fees for services to get some of the lost capital back." Slashing price and selling at a loss is part of their strategy from the start. Up until now it has never cause introduction of fees for services. Youre also making abstraction that at the moment they are loosing less on each console sold than at any moment and of the raising in software/accesories sales.

"but chances are by then it will be too late to regain the lost time due to the "stale" period in which nothing new will occur." Your starting with the prerogative that nothing new will be announced, and is exageration anyway.

"but we'll have to wait till E3 to find out whether there is anything exciting occurring in the year." Then why arent you suspending your judgment.

"It's a tough decision, but I don't think that PS3 will reach the 50M mark" It didnt seems like it was a tough deicision at all, there was nothing positive or neutral in your post.

Also you first claim that: "The high sales have occurred last year due to the major price cuts on Sony's behalf as well as the release of PS3 Slim", but 2 paragraph later you say "I must admit last years PS3 lineup was amazing, this years.. Not so much. Everything that could have contributed majorly to the sales has already been released". Game lineup was important or not? im not sure now.

If a price cut takes place before the holiday, then yes!

With PS Move coming hell yeah it will do 50m. Maybe 60m.

There has been some very valid points brought up.

But I'm also going to throw in these two games for this year.

Metal Gear Solid: Rising and Resistance 3 for this year.
MGS:R is a departure from the "standard" MGS formula. So it could attract new people to the base in addition to the existing base, which is already PlayStation focused.

by march 2010 yeah sound likely, if it fall short just by a few millions