By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Red Steel 2 bombed

I know what many of you are saying.  You're saying that it's way too early to call it a sales failure and that it's well known that Nintendo games have legs.  Sorry but it's already dead.  All I have to do is compare it's sales to another well known bomb for the Wii known as the Conduit.

First week sales of Red Steel 2:  68,048

First week sales of the Conduit:  82,953

I wrote an entire thread about why the Conduit bombed and let's look at my main reason.  The Conduit bombed because of the celebrity involvement of Kevin Sorbo and Rick Nielsen.  It was decided that High Voltage getting celebrities to be involved with their game was a good idea but these two guys were the wrong celebrities.  They should have gotten Marc Singer from the Beastmaster to do voice acting and Yngwie Malmsteen to play guitar instead of those two.  That being said, at least High Voltage tried.

Ubisoft did not get any celebrities at all to be involved in their game.  They didn't try at all in this respect.  Why didn't they get a celebrity to be the voice actor for the main character?  Obviously the Hero is a knock off of the Man With No Name, but I can understand why Clint Eastwood would cost too much money and Charles Bronsan died a couple of years ago (man did I love him).  Who should they have gotten?  How about Kevin Costner?  He's been in a couple of Westerns and hasn't been doing much work lately.  Truth be told, he's not a very good actor and he'd be happy to be doing anything that isn't a movie about baseball.  Also,  Ennio Morricone obviously wouldn't be available to do the soundtrack, but they could get John Bon Jovi to do it.  He's written songs about cowboys and even though I think that his music sucks, it would have gotten the interest of middle aged women that play Wii Fit.

Some other brief points:

It is well known that core games don't sell on the Wii.  Madworld, House Of the Dead: Overkill, Manhunt 2, No More Heroes, and Mario Kart Wii are all sales failures.  People just want to play sodoku, minigames, and exercise with their Wiis.  Just face it people.

Lack of advertising is also a problem.  Even though I have seen several commercials in primetime it wasn't enough.  It's never enough until the game sells as much as I want.

Piracy is a huge issue.  If it weren't for piracy, New Super Mario Bros. Wii would have sold 95 million copies by now.

Lastly, the controls are also a problem.  Don't get me wrong, they work really well but swinging around a remote acting like it's a sword makes you look stupid.  Hardcore gamers wouldn't be caught dead using lame motion controls like that.

So there you have it.  Red Steel 2 bombed and there's nothing that you can say or do to dispute this fact.           

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network

We need to get some of the wii fit crowd to play Red Steel 2!

So then them hardcore people can buy it to film their girlfriends playing it.

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

I agree, they should pull it off the market before they lose anymore money.

I own all of lastgen systems as of October 2008. (Finally got a Dreamcast)

I own every currentgen system except PS3.

I'm buying it next week, I hope this will help...

Go buy Metroid OTHER M!

Wii code: 6775-1034-2238-1634

PSN: birdie93      XBL: luthor93

3DS: 3909-7597-9889

You can add me, I won't stop you!

My website: www.fight4custom.com

Not bad. I think you should have gone further with your Conduit comparison, you stopped too soon, but it did bring several smiles to my jaded face.

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

Around the Network
bmmb1 said:
Not bad. I think you should have gone further with your Conduit comparison, you stopped too soon, but it did bring several smiles to my jaded face.

If I did that I would have been in danger of typing to many words.  People don't usually like reading long threads.

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

RolStoppable said:
What I got from this thread is that we'll see Red Steel 3 in 2011. Also, your bias blinds you.

What bias is that?  All of my points are valid and non-partisan.

The game sucked so bad to. I should know I watch a bunch of trailers and think it sucks

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

i like to play games lying in my coffin with only a dimlight and the bare minimum of movement

this game isn't for me,i did play red steel though,i bet red steel 2 is alot better

Above & Beyond

I cannot argue with you. Your argument is flawless.

Despite that, I think sales may actually increase for the second week in Others, or at least not drop by more than 20%.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."