By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Red Steel 2 bombed

HappySqurriel said:

As I was saying on another thread, somewhere around 60% to 65% of million selling Wii games have a significant 4 player local multiplayer mode; and around half of the rest have a significant 2 player local multiplayer mode. Local multiplayer is one of the most important features to the Wii and is probably of similar importance to having good-graphics and online multiplayer combined on the HD consoles. Unless the game has a genre defining single player experience, I think it would be foolish to release any Wii game without local multiplayer.

I agree. I found the first game to be alright (though a few technical bugs were annoying), but the multiplayer was actually pretty fun. When I heard that Red Steel 2 has no multiplayer, it turned me off quite a bit. I may pick up the game down the road when it's in the bargain bin unless I get to try it out some time before then and find I really really like it, but even then, I'd likely wait for a sale.

Around the Network

BMaker11 said:

Don't even try that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ok2VEGqP20

I don't know how many times I've seen this commercial, prime time or not. I would say I've at least seen that commercial as much as the Kevin Butler commercial for God of War 3 (although GoW is a big franchise, I'm just saying Red Steel 2 got just as much TV time)

You can't say that even though you saw several commercials, it wasn't enough. Maybe Wii owners just didn't want this game en masse. You ever think about that? You can advertise a game to hell, and it can still sell like ass if nobody wants the product. Or can I say the ad campaign for Halo 3 wasn't enough because I wanted it to sell 20M?

Also, why'd you put MKWii on there? Didn't that sell like 16M copies?

Wow, that's actually an amusing commercial. I know I've seen one or two different commercials on tv, but not that one. The ones I've seen were just so-so from what I remember (apparently not too memorable).

Mummelmann said:
BMaker11 said:
Mummelmann said:
The Conduit a well known bomb? I've never seen a single Wii fan in here admit that before so that's not exactly true.

They never admitted to any game bombing, no matter what the sales.....because apparently if a game sells 200 copies on the Wii, it's a success because the Wii is *so* cheap to develop for

However blunt that sounds, I realize you have a point.

Guys, you do realize this is a joke thread. But some people will just read the title and go on from there.

Specifically regarding The Conduit being a "well known bomb" - HD fans should email its developers and let them know, since while they didn't come out and say it was a big success, they did come out and say they were quite happy with it selling over 350k copies. Obviously they are lying, HD fans know better, and The Conduit 2 is an April's Fool joke.

Regarding the "point", it is true of many HD fans as well - no matter what a Wii 3rd party core game does, and no matter what its publishers and/or developers say, they will call it a bomb

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

bmmb1 said:
Mummelmann said:
BMaker11 said:
Mummelmann said:
The Conduit a well known bomb? I've never seen a single Wii fan in here admit that before so that's not exactly true.

They never admitted to any game bombing, no matter what the sales.....because apparently if a game sells 200 copies on the Wii, it's a success because the Wii is *so* cheap to develop for

Guys, you do realize this is a joke thread. But some people will just read the title and go on from there.

Specifically regarding The Conduit being a "well known bomb" - HD fans should email its developers and let them know, since while they didn't come out and say it was a big success, they did come out and say they were quite happy with it selling over 350k copies. Obviously they are lying, HD fans know better, and The Conduit 2 is an April's Fool joke.

Regarding the "point", it is true of many HD fans as well - no matter what a Wii 3rd party core game does, and no matter what its publishers and/or developers say, they will call it a bomb

I can't speak for every HD gamer in the world but the only Wii game I see as a true bomb is Crystal Chronicles and most people actually agree. But, yes, you're right about people calling nearly all 3rd party "core" games bombs, I guess perhaps because many see the insane numbers 1st party titles pull and then compare them.

Mummelmann said:
BMaker11 said:
Mummelmann said:

There is no point.  Just a generalization.

I am a Wii fan and I point out several of their bombs.   

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network
amp316 said:

1) It is well known that core games don't sell on the Wii.  Madworld, House Of the Dead: Overkill, Manhunt 2, No More Heroes, and Mario Kart Wii are all sales failures.  People just want to play sodoku, minigames, and exercise with their Wiis.  Just face it people.

2) Piracy is a huge issue.  If it weren't for piracy, New Super Mario Bros. Wii would have sold 95 million copies by now.     

Erm...how is Mario Kart Wii a sales failure? Its sold over 21 million copies. And how would NSMB Wii have sold that many when the Wii itself hasnt?

Also you can also say Red Steel 2 has bombed because its the second instalment. If you look at the sales chart all the sequels on the Wii bomb even when their prequel do really well. Red Steel has sold 1.2 million copies, way more than what Red Steel 2 will reach. Similarly the first Shaun White Snowboarding sold around 1.3 million but its sequel has sold only a few hundred thousand. Maybe these arent 'bombs' but their sales suck compared to the original game