By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Red Steel 2 bombed

amp316 said:
Pyro as Bill said:
amp316 said:
tuoyo said:
Lol Mr Goldeneye what does Mario Kart Wii have to do with hardcore sales?

I said core sales.  Are you saying that Mario Kart Wii isn't a core game?

Mario Kart has local multiplayer therefore it's a party game. It is also an arcade game which makes it 'casual'.

Casual party games aren't core.

According to your definition of party games it looks like Madworld and House of the Dead are party games.

Also, any arcade game being casual must mean that something that I thought was pretty difficult like the original Donkey Kong or Defender is a casual game.

I wasn't aware of any of this.

You learn something new every day. 

Correct.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network

The whole topic of wasting money on those celebrities is pointless. In the conduite no one even knows who those "celebrities" are, and the only people know that their attatched to the game are the same people who have been following the title from the begining( people who are already gona buy da game)

All they needed to do is advertise the game in front of childrens television like ben 10 and nick tv and sell to an easy audience. Most people probably don't know Red Steel 2 even exists, so unless they get lady gaga to voice the main character, no celens gonna make a difference

Hardcore games on a console that doesn't appeal to hardcore gamers tend to not do well. Look at Cursed Mountain for another example.
Plus the highest selling wii games, going by VG figures, are bundled games. Mario Karts (21 mill a failure??), wii sports, just dance etc are being bundled with wii's and due to the length of time these games are bundled with the wii, it really helps propel sales far higher than bundling a game with other consoles. Just imagine the sale figures for Motorstorm or Oblivion if they were still being bundled with the PS3 or 360.
If Red Steel 2 was bundled with the wii, you'd see it's sales sky rocket. However I think with a few wii devs having gone under and others talking badly of it, it'd seem that unless you can get your game bundled with the wii, ensuring sales on the console is a dangerous walk.

what is mario kart bundled with? a plastic wheel?

so is formula 2009 and yet it isnt getting high sales.

its only been 2weeks and in its 1st 2weeks it outsold "just dance" witch want on to sell 2million btw so you guys should really give it the whole 10weeks before calling it a flop..............

Just dance 52k redsteel2 89k first 2 weeks.............

Around the Network

I would be surprised if it sold another 89k next week alone.............

greenmedic88 said:
Mr Khan said:
greenmedic88 said:
SaviorX said:
gurglesletch said:
SaviorX said:
FonzGemini said:
Bring this game to PS MOVE and let's show Nintendo how core games should sell.

Bioshock would like to have a word with you.

Yes, since releasing a port of a 360 game a year later is the same thing as a wii to ps3 port.

Riddle me this Batman.

When do you think a Red Steel 2 Wii to Ps3 port would come out?

Ubisoft is releasing No More Heroes on PS3 and Xbox 360.

If it generates enough revenue as an experiment, I don't see why they wouldn't consider doing a Red Steel 2 port for PS3 Move as a budget release.

Absolutely unrelated. The No More Heroes PS360 port has no motion controls and likely isn't coming to America. That's more of a fan-game than any serious attempt at bringing Wii games across.

Besides, Red Steel 2 would have to be good enough to *sell* PS Move to sell on PS3, due to the vast userbase differences even if we just consider Motion Plus

Personally, I don't think it would sell well on the PS3. There are a lot of other titles that are of much higher quality for consumers to choose from.

It would only make sense as a budget release/quick and dirty port. It's perfectly possible to still pull a small profit from such a title.

Anyway, if Ubisoft wants to release NMH in Japan, again why not Red Steel in Japan (doesn't make a difference where it's being released) for reasons other than it may simply not have the small fan base that a game like NMH has. 

Ubisoft has nothing to do with the Japanese PS360 port of No More Heroes. Marvelous Entertainment is the Japanese publisher of the NMH games. Ubisoft only has the publishing rights for NMH in America, and they already turned down the HD port. Unless someone else picks up the publishing rights to it, you won't see Heroes Paradise outside of Japan, period.

i played just a tad bit of this game and so far its disappointing... from what Nintendo fans were saying i expected a lot more.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

amp316 said:

I know what many of you are saying.  You're saying that it's way too early to call it a sales failure and that it's well known that Nintendo games have legs.  Sorry but it's already dead.  All I have to do is compare it's sales to another well known bomb for the Wii known as the Conduit.

First week sales of Red Steel 2:  68,048

First week sales of the Conduit:  82,953

I wrote an entire thread about why the Conduit bombed and let's look at my main reason.  The Conduit bombed because of the celebrity involvement of Kevin Sorbo and Rick Nielsen.  It was decided that High Voltage getting celebrities to be involved with their game was a good idea but these two guys were the wrong celebrities.  They should have gotten Marc Singer from the Beastmaster to do voice acting and Yngwie Malmsteen to play guitar instead of those two.  That being said, at least High Voltage tried.

Ubisoft did not get any celebrities at all to be involved in their game.  They didn't try at all in this respect.  Why didn't they get a celebrity to be the voice actor for the main character?  Obviously the Hero is a knock off of the Man With No Name, but I can understand why Clint Eastwood would cost too much money and Charles Bronsan died a couple of years ago (man did I love him).  Who should they have gotten?  How about Kevin Costner?  He's been in a couple of Westerns and hasn't been doing much work lately.  Truth be told, he's not a very good actor and he'd be happy to be doing anything that isn't a movie about baseball.  Also,  Ennio Morricone obviously wouldn't be available to do the soundtrack, but they could get John Bon Jovi to do it.  He's written songs about cowboys and even though I think that his music sucks, it would have gotten the interest of middle aged women that play Wii Fit.

Some other brief points:

It is well known that core games don't sell on the Wii.  Madworld, House Of the Dead: Overkill, Manhunt 2, No More Heroes, and Mario Kart Wii are all sales failures.  People just want to play sodoku, minigames, and exercise with their Wiis.  Just face it people.

Lack of advertising is also a problem.  Even though I have seen several commercials in primetime it wasn't enough.  It's never enough until the game sells as much as I want.

Piracy is a huge issue.  If it weren't for piracy, New Super Mario Bros. Wii would have sold 95 million copies by now.

Lastly, the controls are also a problem.  Don't get me wrong, they work really well but swinging around a remote acting like it's a sword makes you look stupid.  Hardcore gamers wouldn't be caught dead using lame motion controls like that.

So there you have it.  Red Steel 2 bombed and there's nothing that you can say or do to dispute this fact.           

Don't even try that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ok2VEGqP20 

I don't know how many times I've seen this commercial, prime time or not. I would say I've at least seen that commercial as much as the Kevin Butler commercial for God of War 3 (although GoW is a big franchise, I'm just saying Red Steel 2 got just as much TV time)

You can't say that even though you saw several commercials, it wasn't enough. Maybe Wii owners just didn't want this game en masse. You ever think about that? You can advertise a game to hell, and it can still sell like ass if nobody wants the product. Or can I say the ad campaign for Halo 3 wasn't enough because I wanted it to sell 20M? 

Also, why'd you put MKWii on there? Didn't that sell like 16M copies?

TheGameFather said:
I think its pretty obvious RS2 failed because the Jews run the world and start all the wars.

wtf..reported