By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Okay, what is the deal.....with Waluigi?

Waluigi had some funny quips in the startup and ending clips to Mario Power Tennis. Other than that, he hasn't gotten too much attention.

Around the Network

Oh, and others have mentioned Wario. I heard he was the result of a mock drawing of Mario from a different R&D department in Nintendo (the one responsible for Metroid and the GB games I beleieve, since they were annoyed at having to make Shiggy's creations on the Gameboy, instead of something new)

fordy said:

Oh, and others have mentioned Wario. I heard he was the result of a mock drawing of Mario from a different R&D department in Nintendo (the one responsible for Metroid and the GB games I beleieve, since they were annoyed at having to make Shiggy's creations on the Gameboy, instead of something new)

Haha I hadn't heard about the mock drawing part, but that makes sense.

That was Gunpei Yokoi's R&D team.  They made Kid Icarus, Metroid, and the Game Boy, and then they made Super Mario Land.  They didn'ty want to just make a portable Mario game, so they made it really different with airplane levels and submarine levels and madness, Tatanga instead of Bowser, and Daisy instead of Peach.  Then they created Wario for the sequel because they needed a villain with more personality than Tatanga.  Then Wario was so badass he got to star in 4 or 5 of his own handheld platformers before Mario got his own again.

Hm, Wikipedia says Wario was originally designed by Hiroji Kiyotake, the same guy who designed Samus.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ca6yD4rQIeo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ca6yD4rQIeo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Who???? oooooh that guy who knows?

Faxanadu said:
Souldnt it be rather Tuigi or Puigi, and not Waluigi?

Think about it.

That would make sense if Nintendo was JUST flipping the W to make Wario's name. But as stated previously, it's a name that's lost in translation. "Warui" is Japanese for "bad", so "Wario" isn't a far cry from "bad Mario" in Japanese.

And the same goes for "Waluigi", especially considering the English "L" in Japan is translated as an "R".

And I like Waluigi.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network
thetonestarr said:
Faxanadu said:

Think about it.

That would make sense if Nintendo was JUST flipping the W to make Wario's name. But as stated previously, it's a name that's lost in translation. "Warui" is Japanese for "bad", so "Wario" isn't a far cry from "bad Mario" in Japanese.

And the same goes for "Waluigi", especially considering the English "L" in Japan is translated as an "R".

And I like Waluigi.

See, that is the great thing abou Wario. It resembles the name and the M got also "twisted". So it is a double word play. Warui = Wario.

But Waluigi no one will ever get, especially outside of Japan. hence, the "twisted" letters would make more sense, as the universal language.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

famousringo said:
JerzeeBalla said:
The worst part is his name, even THAT was lazy. Mario has Wario. Simple play on the name. Naturally Wuigi doesnt fly, so they needed something else. But Luigi just gets a Wa- thrown in front? It could have been something silly like Luwigi, Weegeelu or something stupid, but at least it would have shown an ounce of effort.

'Warui' is the Japanese word for bad. So Waluigi is literally 'bad Luigi.' It's a pun which is lost in translation.

There's even a second pun lost in your translation as well. ;)

Yes, "warui" means "bad". -> Waluigi = bad Luigi.

So far so good.

If you say his name several times in a row you'll get the word "ijiwaru" (waluIGIWARUigi...). Ijiwaru means "malicious", "ill-tempered", "cruel" or "nasty".

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

Faxanadu said:
thetonestarr said:
Faxanadu said:

Think about it.

And I like Waluigi.

See, that is the great thing abou Wario. It resembles the name and the M got also "twisted". So it is a double word play. Warui = Wario.

But Waluigi no one will ever get, especially outside of Japan. hence, the "twisted" letters would make more sense, as the universal language.

I don't disagree that Wario is a better name. However, I'm fairly certain that was mostly accidental.

SW-5120-1900-6153

His name bothers me more than he actually does.

Every time that you say Waluigi out loud, a dog whimpers.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Ninpanda said:

She should be the one you wanna save, not the one you wanna stab on a dark alley and perform anal rape upon... (Or is that just me..? )

No matter. Waluigi is still pretty f***ing annoying and should be killed off alongside Birdo. All that Peach needs is a different voice actor and same goes for Daisy, alongside a change in her tomboy-ish attitude.

O no you didn't! No-one is gonna trash-talk my lady and get's away with it! I can totally agree that they need to re-cast Leslie Swan as Peach's voice actress, but saying all of that is just crossing the line!

It seems I really need to save my beloved character to dispose a mo-fo like you. Don't make come over there b***h-slapping you 'till you apoligize to your highness...

As for Daisy, she's fine as she is. A girl who has no reason to think out-loud. I was also shocked to find out Birdo is male that thinks he's the oppisite sex, but that I learned to live with.

Finally, on Waluigi's case. I don't mind the character. he definitly diversifies the mushroom kingdom cast in turns of personality. I didn't like his name until I found out about why Nintendo chose it, as manuel explained, made it more sense. And since then I love to hate him as one of the many "malicious" character in a happy go lucky universe.

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!