By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Has the Wii already peaked?

Here's are a few statistics from the Wii in it's last 4 years of sales. 

World Wide sales

2006: 2.93 million

2007: 16.38 million

2008: 24.43 million

2009: 21.90 million

Now here's the numbers for the first 2 months of sales for the year

January 1st to March 1st

2007: 2.12 million

2008: 2.69 million

2009: 3.63 million

2010: 2.70 million

With only a few big games announced to release in 2010, it looks like it'd be hard to believe the Wii will sell more then it's 2008 year. But the Wii's first two months sales of the year is on par with 2008's numbers, but it's still a little vague since in 2009 the Wii sold a million more then 2008 during it's first two months.

Really anything could happen, so what do you guys think, has the Wii already peaked or do you think it can surpass it's best year in 2008 of 24.43 million?

If you think the Wii has already peaked do you think it can even sell more then it's 2009 sales of 21.90 million or will sales just continue to go down more and more each year?

Around the Network

and I thought the Wii's lineup this year is better than ever...

It peaked in 2006.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

2008 will be very tough to beat. Beating 2009 is likely.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Most likely. The noveltey has worn off a bit, and the (graphically weak) hardware is showing its age (painfully so, compared to PS3/360). I think most people who ever wanted a Wii have one by now.
Additionaly I get the feeling that many Wii owners are starting to buy HD consoles because they are dissatisfied with Nintendo's software flow AND want better graphics.

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance

Around the Network

Wii is on the decline and still beating the other 2 easily...

Yes, and so have the other 2 consoles.

2010 should be a better year sales-wise than 2009 was for the Wii though.

At one point, Nintendo obviously thought so, since they scaled back production.

And now we find ourselves back to shortages, so... I'd say possible, but far from certain.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Chrizum said:

ya think ?

If Natal turns out good in combination of another price cut (maybe even slim ?), I could see a new peak for the 360.

Furthermore I see the on going success of the PS3 slim, but I didn't look up enough data to come to a conclusion here.

Chrizum said:

Agree

Disagree - i think all 3 consoles will be down YoY in 2010.