By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - America reachest tipping point

America is reaching a ‘tipping point’ when the babies born to minority parents outnumber whites for the first time.

More white women than ever before are postponing having children until they are older, while minority mothers are still having babies at younger ages, according to a US study published yesterday.

Experts claim the immigration boom has accelerated the historic trend that is likely to leave whites in the minority in America by the middle of the century.

Multicultural: Families watch babies in a hospital nursery in Houston, Texas. There will soon be more babies born to minority parents than to white families

Minorities made up 48 per cent of US children born in 2008, according to the latest census estimates, compared to 37 per cent in 19990.

But the new study suggests the number of minority babies born this year is almost certainly going to number more than half of all new births.

‘For America’s children, the future is now,’ said Kenneth Johnson, a sociology professor at the University of New Hampshire who researched many of the racial trends in the report.

‘Census projections suggest America may become a minority-majority country by the middle of the century,’ he added.

He explained that there are now more Hispanic women of prime childbearing age in the US, who tend to have more children than women of other races.

U.S. BIRTH STATISTICS 2008

Percentage of babies born in American broken down by race

52% WHITE

25% HISPANIC

15% BLACK

4% ASIAN

4% MULTIRACIAL

More white women are waiting until they are older to have babies, although it is not yet clear how much effect that will have on the current trend of increasing minority newborns.

The number of white women of prime childbearing age is on the decline, dropping 19 per cent from 1990.

Broken down by race, about 52 per cent of babies born in 2008 were white.

That's compared to about 25 per cent Hispanic, 15 per cent black and 4 per cent Asian. Another 4 per cent were identified by their parents as multiracial.

The numbers highlight the nation's growing racial and age divide, seen in pockets of communities across the US, which could heighten tensions in current policy debates from immigration reform and education to health care and Social Security.

There are also strong implications for the 2010 population count, which begins in earnest next week, when more than 120 million US households receive their census forms in the post.

The Census Bureau is running public service announcements this week to improve its tally of young children, particularly minorities, who are most often missed in the once-a-decade head count.

Whites currently make up two-thirds of the total US population, and recent census estimates suggest the total number of minorities may not overtake the number of whites until 2050.

Right now, roughly one in ten of the nation's 3,142 counties already have minority populations greater than 50 per cent.

But one in four communities have more minority children than white children or are nearing that point, according to the study, which Mr Johnson co-published.

That is because Hispanic women on average have three children, while other women on average have two. The numbers are 2.99 children for Hispanics, 1.87 for whites, 2.13 for blacks and 2.04 for Asians in the US.

The 2008 census estimates used local records of births and deaths, tax records of people moving within the US, and census statistics on immigrants.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1257110/America-nears-tipping-point-babies-born-minority-parents-outnumber-whites-time.html#ixzz0hwqNND0W

Is this something that should be celebrated? What are your thoughts on this?

Around the Network

Meh, it's natural progress.

In the long run we will all just mix up to be one coffee-like colour. Unless we initiate a breeding program for specific races...
Mmmm breeeeeeeeeding....

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

It's just kinda a cycle. It really depends on what the government ends up doing with immigration.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Meh. That doesn't mean it will last forever. A lot of these predictions about the future are said as if they're a certainty. I mean in Australia for example our population was mainly growing through immigration for quite a long time however now we're going through a baby boom. And its not just the immigrants having babies.

"Right now, roughly one in ten of the nation's 3,142 counties already have minority populations greater than 50 per cent."

"minority" "greater than 50%".. by minority they mean non-white, right? gawd, this reminds me of that episode of south park with the pee.

anyway, i think its great. America was never a *white* country in the first place anyway, the natives weren't white. its not like anyone has a claim to the land, and look, now they have a half-black president.

i think its all awesome. when are people going to realise that colour is just another feature, if nobody had any skin we'd all look more or less the exact same. melting pot FTW.

Highwaystar101 said: trashleg said that if I didn't pay back the money she leant me, she would come round and break my legs... That's why people call her trashleg, because she trashes the legs of the people she loan sharks money to.
Around the Network
trashleg said:
"Right now, roughly one in ten of the nation's 3,142 counties already have minority populations greater than 50 per cent."

"minority" "greater than 50%".. by minority they mean non-white, right? gawd, this reminds me of that episode of south park with the pee.

anyway, i think its great. America was never a *white* country in the first place anyway, the natives weren't white. its not like anyone has a claim to the land, and look, now they have a half-black president.

i think its all awesome. when are people going to realise that colour is just another feature, if nobody had any skin we'd all look more or less the exact same. melting pot FTW.

I can't see the word 'minority' without thinking of it xD

trashleg said:

This reminds me of when the NY Times was going to run an article about some Jamaicans. The writer called them black, but the editor wanted him to change it to "African American". The author tried his best to tell the editor that there not American's, there Jamaicans.
Editor didn't care.

This reminds me of when the NY Times was going to run an article about some Jamaicans. The writer called them black, but the editor wanted him to change it to "African American". The author tried his best to tell the editor that there not American's, there Jamaicans.

Editor didn't care.

This doesn't bother me in the slightest *except* for the fact that I think white women are generally cuter than their ethnic counterparts.

DAMN IT!

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

I blame the white women for being frigid.

SamuelRSmith said:
I blame the white women for being frigid.

But at the same time, I thank them for using birth control.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/