By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Tracking Market Share

Kwaad said: You know that the PS3 processor is faster than a C2Q, and about the same speed as the new cheap NV graphics card. Add in some memory, HDD, case, your looking at spending around 2200$ (note the processor, that is why it's so high) the PS3 is a powerhouse. The PS3 in 5 years will produce graphcis that look MUCH better than crysis.
I think you missed my point ... In 2003, 2004 and 2005 you could buy a $400 PC which was far more powerful than the PS2 and yet people continued to buy a far weaker system to play games on; the only people who are big into PC gaming are "Hard-Core" gamers who want the better Graphics, AI, Physics and Online Community and the super causal market who play flash games because they are fun, free and readily available. The things people claim "Will drive sales for the PS3" have never driven people to get into PC gaming which has excelled at them since the mid 90's.

Around the Network

HappySqurriel said: In 2003, 2004 and 2005 you could buy a $400 PC which was far more powerful than the PS2 and yet people continued to buy a far weaker system to play games on; the only people who are big into PC gaming are "Hard-Core" gamers who want the better Graphics, AI, Physics and Online Community and the super causal market who play flash games because they are fun, free and readily available. The things people claim "Will drive sales for the PS3" have never driven people to get into PC gaming which has excelled at them since the mid 90's.
You do realise a 600$ computer today, can NOT run a game that looks as good as FF12... right? EDIT: wanna find me a 130$ computer better than that trusty old PS2? EDIT2: You do know that a 350$ computer... can NOT run Doom3. (a 2.5 year old game) EDIT3: You do know that a 8800GTX has quite a bit more power than the RSX on the PS3. PCs are already faster than a PS3.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Kwaad said: HappySqurriel said: In 2003, 2004 and 2005 you could buy a $400 PC which was far more powerful than the PS2 and yet people continued to buy a far weaker system to play games on; the only people who are big into PC gaming are "Hard-Core" gamers who want the better Graphics, AI, Physics and Online Community and the super causal market who play flash games because they are fun, free and readily available. The things people claim "Will drive sales for the PS3" have never driven people to get into PC gaming which has excelled at them since the mid 90's. You do realise a 600$ computer today, can NOT run a game that looks as good as FF12... right? EDIT: wanna find me a 130$ computer better than that trusty old PS2? EDIT2: You do know that a 350$ computer... can NOT run Doom3. (a 2.5 year old game) EDIT3: You do know that a 8800GTX has quite a bit more power than the RSX on the PS3. PCs are already faster than a PS3.
Where do you shop? The gold plated PC store?
Doom 3 Requirements id Software (Todd Hollenshead specifically) have finally spoken and have revealed the official minimum requirements these are: Minimum: P4 1.5Ghz CPU (or equivalent). 384MB of RAM. 64MB graphics card (see below for chip details). 2GB of free hard drive space. Lowest supported GPU is a Geforce 4 MX (worse than Geforce 3). Supported cards: GF 4 MX. GF 3. GF 4. GF FX (and higher). Radeon 8500s, 9000s and higher. PC Gamer were the first to review they themselves recommend: 2Ghz CPU. 512MB RAM. Radeon 9800. 5-channel sound card and speakers.
If you look at games which are already available for the PS3 and PC (Oblivion, Fear) the PC version has more effects, a higher resolution and several times the frame rate; your high end PCs are way more powerful than a PS3 and in 2 years an entry level PC will be more powerful than a PS3.

You can not compare a PC to a console. A console is a completely differant beast. The reason consoles sell better and why the PS3 will sell better with the aspects mintioned is because it is easy to use and stable. Consumers do not flock to PC for games because of the complexity of how it works. Most people do not understand about upgrading CPUs',GPU's, RAM, DX9 to 10, XP or Vista all of that is to much for your average consumer. That is why playstation has done so well along with all other consoles. It is a stable platform. You can buy any game with the playstation name on it and it will run on you system. You don't have to instal it, their is no worry weather your GPU is up to par, or weather you have the right drivers, its all about plug and play. What the PS3 is is everything that is great about PC, TV, Video games, and community all wraped into a streamlined easy to use experiance at a price that is affordable. I made a PC in may of last year that cost 2500 dollars, and it is no where near as powerful.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

With the PS3 a developer can make a game with 100's of charictors on screen, with real world phyisics, world class AI, amazing animation, distructable enviornments, use motion control, and to add on to that it can have extreamly detailed graphics.
You do realize you live in a world where Nintendogs, Brain Age and Wii-brand are setting sales records and climbing all-time sales lists, right?
What the PS3 is is everything that is great about PC, TV, Video games, and community all wraped into a streamlined easy to use experiance at a price that is affordable. I made a PC in may of last year that cost 2500 dollars, and it is no where near as powerful.
Considering most people already own a PC, which does every PC-function EXCEPT gaming better than PS3 does, including "community" aspects, and considering most people are so far uninterested in the extra "TV" functionality like Blu-Ray, most people see PS3 as a $500-600 gaming system.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network

I believe that Wii can almost tie with Xbox 360 by the end of the year, and stay with a good advantage for PS3; maybe something like X360 39%, Wii 39%, PS3 22%. 2008 will probably be the year when Wii is going to the be the top-selling console, and X360 and PS3 will start to fight for the second place. If the Sony's console loses more of his exclusive franchises, Microsoft's console certainly will stay with #2.

It sounds good when you say "For the People", but what you really want is... a stronger army than the Knights, and the evil power to control the people.

(Ramza Beoulve, Final Fantasy Tactics)

Kwaad said: HappySqurriel said: In 2003, 2004 and 2005 you could buy a $400 PC which was far more powerful than the PS2 and yet people continued to buy a far weaker system to play games on; the only people who are big into PC gaming are "Hard-Core" gamers who want the better Graphics, AI, Physics and Online Community and the super causal market who play flash games because they are fun, free and readily available. The things people claim "Will drive sales for the PS3" have never driven people to get into PC gaming which has excelled at them since the mid 90's. You do realise a 600$ computer today, can NOT run a game that looks as good as FF12... right?
LOL.. you are dreaming... right? I was at a swap meet (computer market) yesterday for the first time in ages (picked up a 19'' LCD Phillips, new case for my PC + Bluetooth dongle for $320 AU) and was amazed how much prices had come down. To claim that someone couldn't put a *PS2* level PC together for $600(US) is just insane ;) Lets also remember that a computer is MUCH better than a console in general. Its getting more and more easy to plug computers into TV's, have wireless controllers and make them a de-facto console. Not to mention that they are UPGRADABLE, which is something consoles may(?) never be. This is the other reason I was thinking that the PS3 just *isn't* value for money. Take $1500AU (PS3 + basic accessories + game) and you get yourself one HELL of a good PC. It may not beat the PS3 - but it DOESN'T HAVE TO. Looks great, plays thousands of (free?) games - and does a hell of a lot more than PS3.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Kaio_felipe said: I believe that Wii can almost tie with Xbox 360 by the end of the year, and stay with a good advantage for PS3; maybe something like X360 39%, Wii 39%, PS3 22%. 2008 will probably be the year when Wii is going to the be the top-selling console, and X360 and PS3 will start to fight for the second place. If the Sony's console loses more of his exclusive franchises, Microsoft's console certainly will stay with #2.
I like your numbers - look pretty close to me. Sony could always pull something out of the bag, but its just as likely to go the other way, i.e.: 360 41%, Wii 40%, PS3 19% Or if Nintendo can boost the Wii production to say 1.2mill by May (and sellout throughout the year): PS3 18% (6mill), 360 39% (13mill), Wii 42% (14mill) - Xmas 2007 (the wildcard is still the PS2?)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

I'm more bullish than you shams on all three... I think it will be more like by the end of the year: Wii 18 million ~ 43% 360 15.5 million ~ 37% PS3 8.5 million ~ 20% I think 360 drops steadily through September in marketshare as Wii and PS3 gain. Then 360 gains on PS3 in Sept-Oct, and holds its own against Wii. But when Wii sells well in all three markets in Nov-Dec, it gains on both 360 and PS3, which sell at about the same rates worldwide (Amazing + Ok + horrible for 360 vs Good + ok + ok for PS3 in the Americas, Europe, Japan respectively).

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Kwaad's strong Sony bias is crystal clear in every post that he makes, where it's not even warranted. As the PS3 is struggling, no sane person is saying that Sony is going anywhere. They've built some nice momentum for the Euro launch, even though the Wii sales out of every unit there & is still supply constrained. Erik's right, where's the detail & advanced AI in Nintendogs, MK:DS, AC:WW, BT, NSMB, etc.? Some will say that handhelds shouldn't be categorized in the same group as consoles, & I partially agree only as households can possess multiple handhelds. (multiple children, parents, etc.) Yes, Nintendo has succeeded in *growing* the market undoubtedly. But here's the correlation: the DS has a much, much more powerful & feature-rich competitor in the Sony PSP. A well ingrained brand name the world over, what happened? Price? No, the initially strong Euro PSP/PS3 launches demonstrate otherwise. Franchises? No, most were all accounted for on the PSP. UMDs? Where have they gone? 2-million+, & one multiple million selling title within 5 mos. on the Wii. The Wii also has two technical behemoths to compete with as well, and is doing so. The DS is devouring everything & picking up sales momemtum in NA now as well. The Pokebomb drops this month, the April NPD should be very interesting. Kwaad the dollar can only be split so many ways, & each household or individual has a set amount of disposable income. When tracking or attempting to forecast or predict future market share shifts, this needs to be kept in mind. For every DS Lite being purchased that's subtracting essentially two potential PS3, XBX 360, & Wii software pieces that could have been purchased. Two DS or PSP games another, etc, etc. There are far too many variables & extraneous influences that dictate market share, 100's of characters with facial animation, & advanced physics I assure you aren't 2 of those factors.

"The things we touch have no permanence."