By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Tracking Market Share

When you are used to 80%, not so good.

Around the Network

If it wasn't for Japan, the 360 would have no prob holding on to it's lead. Sadly it's sales suck over there so it'll have to watch as the Wii, & eventually the PS3, run past it to the finish line. ;)

WiiFit will be 2008 #1 selling game in NORTH AMERICA!  
End of '08 Predictions: Wii - 48m X360 - 25m  PS3 - 19m
Wii monthly NA sales will top 400k every month in '08. *Jan sales ruined it. Grrrr!*
WiiFit will top 1m in sales in its first month of release in North America.
MGS4 will NOT be released in '08. *Darn it!* FF13 will NOT be released in '08.
Rockband Wii will top 600k in first month sales in North America.
WiiFit will pass the PS3 WW sales by Xmas '09.

Yup nice work, keep it up :)

16% isn't great, when people expect you to have 60% plus. The PS3 would have to reach (approx) 41.3m to have a 60% marketshare - assuming the Wii/360 don't sell another unit. Its almost 10% of the way there ;)

If the Wii/360 have a combined base of 30m by the end of the year (say 15m each),  that number becomes 75m. I doubt the PS3 will sell 71m units this year ;), so I can't see it getting close to 60% marketshare anytime soon.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

They're *still* underestimating the Wii. Don't they all? Tsk tsk.

End of Year: Worldwide sales

XBox 360 = within 13 million range (might get near 14 million but won't quite cross the threshhold)

Wii = AT LEAST 20 million (yes 20 million)

PS3 = within 7 million range (to be optimistic)

7th gen console worldwide percentages

XBox 360 = approx. 32.5 %

Wii = approx. 50 %

PS3 = approx, 17.5 %

32.5% + 50% + 17.5% = 100%

Approximates were given based on how far Wii passes 20 million and exactly where in the given range PS3 & XBox 360 fall under. Percentages may be off by 1 or 2 % plus or minus. However 'ranges given' I feel will be correct.

Oh and Wii takes top spot worldwide this July. Almost forgot that. 

Time will tell. It always tells. It's the tattletale.

John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

AAAAA+++++ post. Will read again.

Great job, TheSource. I hope this becomes a permanent fixture on Vgchartz. 

Around the Network

How do you know PS3 will never catch up to 360? it's way too early to predict any of that...

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

@johnlucas: I'm starting to believe you almost every single word... As a nintendo_fanboy, i was always sceptical reading your posts because they were so optimistic and I was just not used to see nintendo doing something right. But I remember how you pointed out once that it takes ages for the x360 to pass the 10 millions, and this really is true. It is over 9 millions since I started coming to this site but it is still nowhere near to pass them...

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

ckmlb said:
How do you know PS3 will never catch up to 360? it's way too early to predict any of that...
 He is using trends that are being established right this very moment and logical deductions. 

Well just think of it this way, at the current rate it's taking 360 4 months to gain its next 1 million units.

Keep it up source!!!

ckmlb said:

It's too early to predict anything. People who say the PS3 can't catch up to the 360 are really quite ignorant of a few certain things: Sony's incredibly strong brand name in the video game industry, it's strong start in Europe, and the fact that the 360 is relying on 60% of it's sales from the Americas, where it still gets outsold by the PS2. The PS3 has concerns, but no one seems to talk about the concerns for the 360 which are there as well. As far as I can see both are going to get schooled by the Wii this year, and it'll be 2008 and 2009 when the HD Gaming war is settled.