By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Tracking Market Share

I just thought I might add, this generation has the best chance of bucking the trend of one dominant console. The simple reason is almost every time, the first console out of the gates get an unassailable lead and has complete developer support by the time the rest of the group are out. This time we have the 360 out first and while it's following the same path as other consoles previously, it completely flopped in Japan. As such, the support from American companies hoping to sell to American gamers is there, but Japan makes a lot of games and won't really back the 360. We may even see 360 win in US, lose in Japan and Europe is anyone's guess, but I'd say they're likely to lose there too except in some countries. So I think in the end the 360 will get a larger userbase than the Xbox, the Wii will get a larger userbase than the Gamecube, and the PS3 will get a smaller userbase than the PS2. There will most likely be one clear winner though, and it will be by a fairly large lead (perhaps double the next console) but there's no way we're going to see the complete domination of last generation by any console.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Around the Network

Source, as I stated in my post, we saw 180m consoles sold last gen THUS FAR. The PS2 continues to sell about 40k a month in Japan, 250k in the US, and most likely, another 250k in other countries around the world, if not more. Therefore, it's still selling around 500-600k a month, and will slowly taper off. It could sell another 10m this year, giving last gen 190m+ as the PS2 should sell into 2008 (albiet very slowly, 300k or less/mo). If the Wii really is selling to a new market, then the total # of overall systems WILL increase merely based on that fact. From the PS1 to PS2 generation, we saw a slight 15% increase in total console sales. I believe this # is due to the improvement of European and emerging nation sales. We could see another 15% this cycle, or even 20% from emerging nations. However, the Wii will most likely open up people to the fold, and could improve the marketshare another 5-10% of units due to this. Because of it, I assume the Wii will get the 22m the GC got, plus another 5-15m from return users/current market purchasers, the 15% increase from last generation (about 3m units) and 5-10% of the total market growth from ultra-new users primarily in Japan. (5-10% would translate anywhere from 10-20m or more). Microsoft will EASILY, and I mean EASILY beat out the first Xbox by leaps and bounds. The 360 has to sell just 3m more units w/w between now and December to truely overtake the Xbox in a time-and-date way (assuming MS pulled the plug 4yrs into sales). Of course they won't, so I'd expect 15-20% more sales for each year that MS keeps the system alive vs. the Xbox. The Xbox, had it of had a lifespan similar to the PS2 (or atleast 6yrs), could of sold 30m units or even 32.5m before ending had MS kept it. The Xbox 360 should, at a minimum, do 30.0-32.5m. However, with no true American successor to the PS2, improved emerging markets, and decent European gains (remember, it's already sold 3m of the 8m that Europe sold for Xboxs, before any price drop, no Halo), we should see sales of 40m or more. I'd put 40m as a minimum for the 360, and could see upwards of 55m if the European situation really improved, and the pricedrop really really helped sales (increased sales #s by 30-40%). Obviously the PS3 has the most to lose, as it won't really get a benefit from emerging market sales, as they can't afford the PS3 en-masse until maybe 2010 or 2011. It won't see the growth that the Wii or Xbox will see. The most important question is: how will emerging countries like China, India, eastern Europe, South Korea, Austrailia, and non-UK west European countries vote on video games? A few ideas per region: Japan should see a dramatic increase in hardware sales due to the Wii. I expect sales of 45m consoles between now and 2012 (24m Wii, 15-16m PS3, 3m X360). America should see a typical increase to around 90-100m consoles (37.5m X360, 30m PS3, 22.5 Wii, between those numbers and 5% more for each console) Europe should see the greatest increase as they become more tolerant of video games, and a greater income in eastern Europe. One of the reasons Germans can't afford games like the UK can is because they're still recovering from the re-joining of East and West, and median incomes aren't very high for around 30m of those germans. Europe, between east and west, should sell around 55m consoles + extra sales to the Mid East and Africa (25m PS3, 15.5m Wii, 15.0m X360) Emerging/Other markets will be the major ones to look at, as various countries will adopt various systems. Austrailia should stay in Sony and MS control, South Korea will go Sony/MS due to online, China will go Wii somewhat, India will be up in the air, and the other various countries will minorly pick between the 3. We should see sales of around 5-10m for each console by the time everything's said and done. Austrailia should provide atleast 2.5m consoles total, with SK, China, India, Taiwan and the Phillipines doing similar numbers, and the other ones (South America, ect) providing 0.5m to 2.0m units per country....Nothing major that'll show up on any press release except for "we shipped X # of systems this quarter). So I think we should see around 200m consoles sold just between Europe, the US and Japan. The rest should/would be from Emerging markets for around 10m to even 30m units sold if China and India start buying video games on some sort of meaningful level...If not more.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Back on topic 5.1.2007 update:

Total Hardware Sold: 19.49 million units

360 - 49.8%

Wii - 33.7%

PS3 - 16.5%

Japan Total Hardware Sold - same as before (update on frontpage to come later)

Americas Total Hardware Sold: 10.07 million units

360 - 60%

Wii - 26.2%

PS3 - 13.8%

Europe Total Hardware Sold: 5.97 million units

360 - 55.3%

Wii - 29%

PS3 - 15.7%

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

I think that the PS3 will be the largest success in Europe. It already has 16% of the market and its been out for only a month ...............

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I agree, although not for the same reason.  PS3 had higher marketshares in the USA and Japan when it launched (at least in Japan, and against Wii in the USA).

PS3 had the strongest launch allocation ever in Europe, so it definitely earned that % there.  But I think it will gain in Europe when Europeans see a price drop, and realize it does much of what 360 does, plus has the Sony gaming franchises (as well as the casual fare like Singstar) they like/love.

It wouldn't surprise me if it takes a long time for PS3 to catchup though, because without a pricedrop, it will not be able to catch 360 or Wii.  For another 6-18 months I think 360 will lead in Europe over Wii.  Then Wii will lead for around a year, as PS3 catches up late in 2008 or late in 2009. 

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

5/9/07 Update

Consoles (Wii,PS3,360) sold worldwide: 19.84 million

Worldwide Marketshare:

360 ~ 48.6%

Wii ~ 34.9%

PS3 ~ 16.5%

Japanese market (of 3.69 million consoles sold)

Wii ~ 65% (Huge recent sales have boosted this % 1%/week)

PS3 ~ 24.7% (Not much Golden Week boost, dropping)

360 ~ 10.3% (Dropping quickly)

Americas market (of 10.24 million consoles sold)

360 ~ 59.6% (Steadily dropping until big games come out in Aug-Dec)

Wii ~ 26.6% (improving with supply, should be 1/2 way to 360 userbase in 4-8 weeks)

PS3 ~ 13.8% (sales still well below 360, despite big Spiderman 3 boost - see American news story)

Others Market (of 5.91 million consoles sold)

360 ~ 53.5% (under 50% in 4 weeks? maybe...)

Wii ~ 30.3% (already well more than 1/2 of 360 sales

PS3 ~ 16.2% (impact of strong launch seems to be diminishing)

After doing this for a few weeks, it is surprising to note PS3 continues to lose marketshare.  While American & Japanese sales are in line with what I expected, I thought PS3 would grow, not shrink, most weeks because it could outsell 360 in Japan & Europe to offset losses to 360 in the USA.  As it stands now, PS3 marketshare is shrinking (though very very slowly) from week to week.  If Wii can get to 70% in Japan by the time Nintendo's traditional heavy hitters are released in Japan (Brawl, Galaxy), then I think that market is for Wii to dominate for at least another two years.

Edit: Litterally after I typed this, the numbers changed again..one moment please...

Edit 2: Fixed!

- Lao Tzu

TheSource said:

After doing this for a few weeks, it is surprising to note PS3 continues to lose marketshare.  While American & Japanese sales are in line with what I expected, I thought PS3 would grow, not shrink, most weeks because it could outsell 360 in Japan & Europe to offset losses to 360 in the USA.  As it stands now, PS3 marketshare is shrinking (though very very slowly) from week to week.  If Wii can get to 70% in Japan by the time Nintendo's traditional heavy hitters are released in Japan (Brawl, Galaxy), then I think that market is for Wii to dominate for at least another two years.

Not by your numbers, these are your PS3 % updates.

11.00%
11.00%
12.00%
16.23%
16.30%
16.31%
16.40%
16.50%
Wow those are big numbers (damn cut and paste!!)

South Korea will go Sony/MS due to online Nexon ( Maple Story) has just become a 2nd party of Nintendo, and I really can´t understand why Softnyx hasn´t planned a DS Gunbound. So, if Nexon actually takes online seriously on Wii and DS, then I can´t see Sony and MS winning Korea.

Yeah..I didn't mean worldwide, especially not Europe where PS3 is probably outselling 360 in at least some countries.  I could have sworn I wrote PS3 continues to lose marketshare in Japan, which I found surprising since it can take marketshare from 360 (and it is), but overall it is still losing marketshare..26% to 24.7%

- Lao Tzu