By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony: PS3's global install base is ~30 million, overtracked on VGC?

User: Is the PS3 overtracked on VGChartz?

Cleverbot: Are you such a dreamer, to put the world to rights.

User: So you're saying it's not overtracked?

Cleverbot: I am watching you, take care.

User: Is it or is it not overtracked?

Cleverbot: It is not.

/thread.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

I don't understand anything with numbers: once it's 31M, after 33M AND NOW 30m. If it's true; it could thats 360 underestimed in  many europeens countries! 30M ps3 seems very low, it's almost 7 to 8 millions gap in favour of 360! it seem impossible or that ps3 overtake 360 more slowly than we expected...

If Cleverbot says it's not overtracked, it's not over tracked.

4 ≈ One

Seece said:
LOL OVERTRACKED? Can PS3 fans take anymore?

Judging by recent shipment figures I would say a big fat no!

You know that some people bought there 360s twice cause it broke right?I know a couple of people that did this and its not 1 360=1 person its more like 2-4=1 person

install base = shipped. Yes i know they are using the definition of the word wrong, but we've seen Sony and Microsoft use install base to = shipped many times. There used to be a million threads about it in 2007 and people arguing over the meaning of install base. It was probably just a mistake, the 33.5 million number is correct for shipped.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network

30m sounds like such a nice round number to stick with, it just rolls off the tongue.

MikeB said:
Rounded it's ~30 million as it's not near 40 million yet.

Sony sold 33.5 million PS3 until the end of 2009. (So 5.5 million more PS3s than the XBox 360 sold by the end of 2008, despite the extra delay for countries other than Japan/NA and the difference in entry pricing)

lol right, right. I guess Xbox 360 is at 40 million then. It'll be at 45 million once it reaches 43 million according to your logic.

Not a 360 fanboy, just a PS3 fanboy hater that likes putting them in their place ^.^

Notice : "Approximately" ?

In threads like these I skim through the entire thread until I see someone with a red name reply, thanks TheSource 

Installed base.... SOMETIMES refers to systems still active.

He could be quoting that.