By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony: PS3's global install base is ~30 million, overtracked on VGC?

Sony is pimping its products to the Middle Easterners in Dubai and provided the following:

For PlayStation®3, the global installed base of which is approximately 30 million units with more than half a million units in the Middle East, Sony will provide firmware updates making PlayStation®3 units compatible with 3D stereoscopic games. And with a separate firmware update, they will also become compatible with “Blu-ray 3D” discs.

What's going on? Are we still overtracking the PS3 in here?

eyeofdubai

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

Around the Network

Noooo, why did you bring this up =(

Meltdowns incoming

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

LOL OVERTRACKED? Can PS3 fans take anymore?

Judging by recent shipment figures I would say a big fat no!

Neos said:
Noooo, why did you bring this up =(

Meltdowns incoming

LoL. Time to grab some popcorn and a helmet. Because there might be a massive ban hammer incoming.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

lol, ok let's not jump on the under/over tracked bandwagon yet. People like to use varying terms to describe all sorts of things. Anyone remember the graph where the Wii install base dropped? They were counting active players, not units actually sold.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network

*sigh*...... can we stop!? VGC sales are the current sales...enooooo
ugh!

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

They've said it was 31 million before, so I guess it's somewhere near 31 million. That's a hell of a lot of PS3's that were shipped but not sold, though..

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

can i have some popcorn too? this is gonna be fun.. =]

End of 2010 Predictions (Original Prediction Made: Jan. 1, 2010---Revised April 1, 2010---Revised Again July 1, 2010---Revised Again on Nov. 1, 2010)

PS3: 46 MIL (April Revision: 44 MIL, July Revision 43 MIL, Nov. Revision 45MIL)

360: 44 MIL (April Revision: 46 MIL, July Revision: 48 MIL, Nov. Revision 49MIL)

WII: 82 MIL (Apr. Revision: 84 MIL, Jul. Revision: 82 MIL, Nov. Revision: 82MIL)

THE MUST BUY LIST of 2010: Gran Turismo 5

THE BOUGHT LIST of 2010: White Knight Chrnociles, Heavy Rain, Final Fantasy 13, God of War 3, Modnation Racers, Sports Champions

nordlead said:
lol, ok let's not jump on the under/over tracked bandwagon yet. People like to use varying terms to describe all sorts of things. Anyone remember the graph where the Wii install base dropped? They were counting active players, not units actually sold.

Installed base is not a vague term though, it's pretty specific. "Active user base", yeah, tougher to determine, but "installed base" has always meant the amount sold to customers.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.