By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony: PS3's global install base is ~30 million, overtracked on VGC?

Rounded it's ~30 million as it's not near 40 million yet.

Sony sold 33.5 million PS3 until the end of 2009. (So 5.5 million more PS3s than the XBox 360 sold by the end of 2008, despite the extra delay for countries other than Japan/NA and the difference in entry pricing)

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

If this is true, then it means that Sony overshipped.

MikeB said:

Sony sold 33.5 million PS3 until the end of 2009. (So 5.5 million more PS3s than the XBox 360 sold by the end of 2008, despite the extra delay for countries other than Japan/NA and the difference in entry pricing)

Hilarious. You just had to post the damage control eh? You just couldn't let it go..

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

I wonder what will happen to all that fanboys that screamed that VGC undertracks PS3 :p

ArkZero said:
If this is true, then it means that Sony overshipped.

But some continue to tout PS3 shortages...

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network

Well we know they have shipped 33.5m, so it is clearly not undertracked, the number now is approximately 30m

Neos said:
MikeB said:

Hilarious. You just had to post the damage control eh? You just couldn't let it go..

Indeed, I agree the 30 mill figure must be wrong for other reasons.

But since when did companys not paint the brightest picture? They shipped 33.5, they would say that, not 30 million. No company would round DOWN sales .. for goodness sakes MikeB I wish you would read back your posts before you hit the button.

Demotruk said:
nordlead said:
lol, ok let's not jump on the under/over tracked bandwagon yet. People like to use varying terms to describe all sorts of things. Anyone remember the graph where the Wii install base dropped? They were counting active players, not units actually sold.

Installed base is not a vague term though, it's pretty specific. "Active user base", yeah, tougher to determine, but "installed base" has always meant the amount sold to customers.

but that isn't true at all.

Here, "install base" -

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

well they said near 30 which is true? , 31 is near 30 million.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.