By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony: PS3's global install base is ~30 million, overtracked on VGC?

I thought they shipped 33.5M by JAN 31?

mM
Around the Network
leo-j said:

Why would you think that when the quarter ended in Dec?

They said 31 million then 33.5 million the day after. Of course not. They should stop throwing out all these different figures.

Ah, i guess it's just as well VGC changed the figures the other week. The situations way too familiar, like when Sony said they shipped 50 million PSP's last February, but they only recently sold that many.

letsdance said:
leo-j said:

Why would you think that when the quarter ended in Dec?

Probably because the end of January is when these reports usually come out.

@OP. Dude, do you know what the word approximation means? It pretty much means ABOUT.
So 31.65 million counts as a close enough approximation its about 5% off. In many sciences, being off by 5% is not enough to say data is wrong.

Around the Network

It is probably un-true but he has a point. "IF" the follow through as source mentions was 30m by holidays then where has this extra 3m shipment come from in the last 2 months? If true would mean the shortages are bollocks as most already thought.

Most likely just a slip of the tongue. But the fact he doesnt know his figures while trying to sell to middle east representitives does sound very unprofessional. If i went into a meeting and was a few million out of our figures i doubt my boss would be happy!

Lol...so...if the ps3 is overtracked, then there's 4M consoles on shelves, then why the hell we're seeing and we're going to see (according to sony) shortages? it doesn't make sense!!! xD

I'm Back! - Proud owner of the best doomed handheld of all time!

Hyruken said:
It is probably un-true but he has a point. "IF" the follow through as source mentions was 30m by holidays then where has this extra 3m shipment come from in the last 2 months?

Sony took an opportunity to mass produce the PS3 when revenue would be highest, not to mentionthey've been trying to hammer home that 13m shipment target for the last year and when Sony wants to meet a shipment target, demand has nothing to do with it (see PSP)

iWarMachine said:
Lol...so...if the ps3 is overtracked, then there's 4M consoles on shelves, then why the hell we're seeing and we're going to see (according to sony) shortages? it doesn't make sense!!! xD

Askew SKUS! Too many 250GB and too little 120GB, demand is placed in opposition of these production levels. Hence "My Best Buy was sold out of the SKU I wanted (120GB, the cheaper one)" becomes "My Best Buy was sold out of PS3's"

Why people see ~30 mi less than 30 mi? Could be over 30 mi, not? Stop with that.

CGI-Quality said:
Another one of these? Man, some of you must really have too much time on your hands, or are just bored.

or both.