By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 40GB PS3 sells 50,000 in first day in Japan

@ stranne

Aren't many of the games far away from release? If a person says that's he's "most wanted" game is X and it's a month from release, I'd say that's a far better indication of a possible sale than if it's a year from release.

Yes many are, but if they outrank games closer to release IMO it just shows what enormous anticipation there is for that game. Note that for instance parts of Final Fantasy XIII's game engine have been shown on Japanese television, people are exicited about that game, some people thought earlier sequences that were shown was just pre-rendered FMV, but the devs showed the city footage was being rendered in realtime.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

@ stranne

Note that the list seems to be pretty accurate with regard to Dynasty Warriors 6 vs Mario Galaxy first day sales, both games close to release. Although Mario Galaxy could have beaten Dynasty Warriors 6 mostly due to a larger Wii install base, lower entry price or a huge marketing campaign in comparison.

Actually I think Nintendo will market the crap out of Mario Galaxy in comparison, so I think it may have better legs than Dynasty Warriors 6 for the long run.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

That's just 2 (and recently released) games. Try taking a one year-old list and compare it to first day sales.

We'll see when they come out of course, but I don't think any of the PS3 games on your list will make the nex-gen (not handhelds) top 10 LTD (in Japan).

Great numbers.

I wonder what would have happened if Sony introduced the white (or the lovely silver) PS3 for the original launch. Would the sales of the PS3 have fared better in Japan? Maybe Japan doesn't like black that much. This is all speculation of course.

No foreign sky protected me,
No stranger's wing shielded my face.
I stand as witness to the common lot,
survivor of that time, that place.

- From 'Requiem' by Anna Akhmatova

Very nice for PS3, but I don't expect this to last as we've seen with the PS3 and PSP the spikes last no more than three weeks, I expect this to last 2 weeks tops

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
MikeB said:
@ shams

PS2 software sales are actually dying off pretty quickly. Within 12 months, there won't be *that* much activity left on the platform.

MH3 for the Wii is actually a really good fit. I think it matches the demographics well.

According to VGChartz last week, a relatively unknown (completely to me) Ar Tonelico 2 is significantly beating first week sales the Ar Tonelico 1 for the PS2. What data are you basing your assumptions on? Data like this suggests otherwise with regard to sales potential.

Why couldn't Monster Hunter 3 on the PS2 perform as well as Monster Hunter 1 and 2 did on the PS2?

Install Base Wii in Japan: Less than 4 million
Install Base PS2 in Japan: Over 22 million (plus over 1 million PS3 owners with backwards compatibility)

Obviously a vast majority of Monster Hunter fans own a PS2 as the previous games were never released on the GameCube!

Enlighten me please?

With that logic it doesn't make any sense to release games to any other platform than PS2 or DS. Anyway, also Capcom needs at some point of time jump to current gen, with other than old ports and completely new IP:s. Since MH is basically Japan only game, there's no sense to release it to other current gen platform (also outside Japan Wii is soon going to be the most sold console). Also, if you look towards future, and assume MH3 to have legs (selling some copies a week for couple of years), Wii makes more sense than soon to be dead PS2.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

@ bdbdbd

With that logic it doesn't make any sense to release games to any other platform than PS2 or DS. Anyway, also Capcom needs at some point of time jump to current gen, with other than old ports and completely new IP:s. Since MH is basically Japan only game, there's no sense to release it to other current gen platform (also outside Japan Wii is soon going to be the most sold console).
Also, if you look towards future, and assume MH3 to have legs (selling some copies a week for couple of years), Wii makes more sense than soon to be dead PS2.

The PS2 IMO enjoys somewhat a special position this generation, the platform is still "current gen", just cheaper together with a much wider install base than all the other sold home consoles combined.

Surely a platform which outsold all others last christmas and is still selling well is still worthy of software support?

Financially it would make great sense to release a PS2 version. Capcom's reasoning for not making a PS3 version was that a more advanced version of the game would have costed them too much. Well, a PS2 game engine to further build on already exists. What would be a cheaper approach than that?

I guess there are two very plausible scenarios with regard to this game. One being that Nintendo paid Capcom millions to make the game a Wii exclusive, or Capcom is secretly developing the PS2 game together with the Wii version, then first release the Wii version in the hope of sparking raving reviews (for example due to how great a Wii game can look, still unlikely to beat Mario Galaxy or God of War 2 I believe) and then later release the PS2 version which could be pretty much on par and thus reviewers having to give that version good scores as well.

PS3 vs 360 sales

Famitsu numbers are here.

http://www.n4g.com/industrynews/News-83450.aspx

1.) Mario Party DS (NDS, Nintendo) - 242,000 | NEW
2.) Dynasty Warriors 6 (PS3, Koei) - 176,000 | NEW
3.) Super Mario Galaxy (Wii, Nintendo) - 78,000 | 335,000
4.) Dynasty Warriors 6 (360, Koei) - 27,000 | NEW
5.) Final Fantasy Tactics A2 (NDS, Square Enix) - 24,000 | 235,000
6.) Castlevania (PSP, Konami) - 20,000 | NEW
7.) Wii Sports (Wii, Nintendo) - 18,000 | 2,091,000
8.) Nishimura Kyotaro (NDS, Tecmo) - 16,000 | 112,000
9.) Wii Play (Wii, Nintendo) - 15,000 | 1,648,000