By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 40GB PS3 sells 50,000 in first day in Japan

Looking at my own region I think Sony may well be correct that the PS3 is currently the best selling console in Europe, quite a few people I know bought a PS3 just recently.

Hopefully we receive reliable data from the US as well, before the PS3's release I had a bet with someone as I was expecting a global sales victory versus the XBox 360 for christmas 2007 (not 2006 and not against the Wii due to pricing).

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

Unbelievable!! I expected mario to increase wii sales to at least 70-80 k for 2 weeks... now ps3 is in the lead though like the PSP will start to go down, but if it should stabalize at a much higher level competing with the wii...
But for dynasty wars to beat SMG(not that dynasty wars is a bad game), is just sad... are japanese starting to lose interest in the wii?? It wil be clear after wiifit, but still disappointing

Heh. I guess all those naysayers who said it wouldnt sell because "The Japanese care too much about BC" are gonna have to eat some crow! (I wasnt one of em!) 

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )

If true those are some great numbers for Sony. At this point of the year thy may just keep this momentum up all the way through the first 2 weeks of january. I think Devil May Cry 4 is coming to Japan in December (I might be mistaken) and if that is the case PS3 may be the best selling home console in japan this christmas. All of the Wii's succecces is riding on Wii Fit. In any case this war is starting to heat up.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

friedtofu said:

Heh. I guess all those naysayers who said it wouldnt sell because "The Japanese care too much about BC" are gonna have to eat some crow! (I wasnt one of em!)

That depends on what happens in the next few weeks. Seriously, how many sales spikes do some people have to see before they learn how they work?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

very impressive,I actually expected less.If DW had more than one day on sale it could have beaten mario....

well this PROVES good software will lead to great sales (price to ofcourse)

m very happy for the PS3!!WELL DONE!! that to on its 1st b'day

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

So DW5 outsold Mario Galaxy on a system with half its installed base? WHOA! Also, with White Knight Story launching this December in Japan, and DMC4 coming in January, I don't see the PS3 in Japan slowing down too much. Add that to the fact that its the holiday season, and the PS3 might actually outsell the Wii this holiday season in Japan.

how did dynasty warriors outsell SMG? its says 180k, mario sold 260k in its first week in japan.

how did dynasty warriors outsell SMG? its says 180k, mario sold 260k in its first week in japan.