By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 40GB PS3 sells 50,000 in first day in Japan

"Sales of Sony's PS3 video games console surged 300 per cent after the company released a cheaper model in Japan last week, according to leaked survey data.

Sony Japan introduced the new PS3 model with a 40GB hard disk drive on November 11. One day later, local PS3 weekly sales figures had soared from an average of 16,000 to almost 66,000."

"PS3 takes top spot

The huge increase in sales enabled the PS3 to take the top spot in full-sized console sales from Nintendo's Wii console for the first time. The Wii typically sells less than 35,000 per week in Japan, although sales have risen to 37,500 following the release of the popular game, Super Mario Galaxy."

http://www.texyt.com/40GB+Sony+PS3+sales+50,000+Japan+Enterbrain+Famitsu+00120

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

Almost 70k. Solid. Where is John who claims PS3 can't outsell Wii in Japan. He appears as some kind of guru here.

Hmm, very nice.
OH NO!
Dolla Dolla don't post Borat please :P

PSN ID: clemens-nl                                                                                                                

i've seen articles to the countrary.

http://www.jolt.co.uk/index.php?articleid=9982

i think i'll wait a day or two to believe any of these sources.

And only one day sales. Impressive.

Around the Network

If this is true then i'm impressed, wonder how far it'll fall next week

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

There are so many conflicting claims here, but I'm leaning towards believing the 40 GB PS3 will outsell Wii for a week or two. The second week depends on what the actual numbers are for this week.

I concur Couchmonkey. I think that the PS3 will out sell the Wii for the week. Although the contradictory reports make it difficult to get a true grasp on the situation.

@ kitler53 )

Uhmm.. the source-site to the news you posted says in german "36k 40GB PS3s were sold on day one (31k white + 5 k black)" ,so if the 20GB+60GB models together sold 20-30k (DW6 won't only have an influence on the 40GB model) these reports aren't conflicting...

kitler53 said:
i've seen articles to the countrary.

http://www.jolt.co.uk/index.php?articleid=9982

i think i'll wait a day or two to believe any of these sources.

Interesting.

We're pitting what looks like a blog that says 50,000 versus a German gaming site (gamefront.de) and Turkmenistan gaming site (gamer.tm) which say 37,000. Even putting aside the "Don't trust the early numbers" mantra, the credibility difference is staggering.

Only fanboys would take that blog number seriously. The rest of us will cautiously wait and see what the truth of the matter turns out to be.