By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 40GB PS3 sells 50,000 in first day in Japan

Wii is selling amazing!!

I was wrong its impossible sony cant keep up with the american market..

although 70k isnt to far from 63k so I was almost at the mark. Come on 174k 360 sales!

mM
Around the Network

Japan am insane double confirmation.

One week, the 360 outsells the PS3.

The next week, the PS3 outsells the Wii.

Krazee!

Kratos said:
Hmm, very nice.
OH NO!
Dolla Dolla don't post Borat please :P

Fine, I won't!

Sike!

Famitsu's most wanted list is usually a good indication of first week sales (taking out of account install base which is of course also a factor, ranking usually goes up near to release and some times a relatively unanticpated game like Wii Sports comes along which doesn't sell amazingly well its first week but keeps on selling and selling)

Last month

1. Dragon Quest IX NDS Square Enix
2. Final Fantasy XIII PS3 Square Enix
3. Biohazard 5 PS3 Capcom
4. Metal Gear Solid 4 PS3 Konami
5. Monster Hunter 3 Wii Capcom
6. Super Smash Bros. Brawl Wii Nintendo
7. Dragon Quest VI NDS Square Enix
8. Dragon Quest IV NDS Square Enix
9. Lost Odyssey Xbox 360 Microsoft
10. Final Fantasy IV NDS Square Enix
11. Shin Sangoku Musou 5 PS3 Koei <= Dynasty Warriors 6
12. Dragon Quest V NDS Square Enix
13. Super Robot Taisen Original Generation Gaiden PS2 Banpresto
14. Super Mario Galaxy Wii Nintendo
15. Devil May Cry 4 PS3 Capcom
16. The Last Remnant PS3 Square Enix
17. Animal Crossing Wii Nintendo
18. Final Fantasy Versus XIII PS3 Square Enix
19. Layton Kyouju to Akuma no Hako NDS Level 5
20. Gran Turismo 5 PS3 Sony

8 PS3 titles amongst 14 home console games, one of which for the PS2. I really don't understand why the majority of VGChartz posters are usually prematurely dissing PS3 potential for the Japanese market.

I really don't understand why Capcom isn't releasing Monster Hunter 3 for the PS2 neither. The vast majority of this game's fanbase actually own specifically this system, and PS3 owners interested in this game could use backwards compatibility to upscale the game to suit their HDTV sets, I believe they must have aquired some special arrangement with Nintendo...

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB: It's because lots of PS3 owners buy famitsu. Many games have been high on that list and failed to achieve anything. Sorry to say but Famitsus most wanted list has been continuously trumped to show PS3 domination in Japan and has failed to ever be backed up by the sales numbers

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

So wait, because of couple of games on the Most Wanted List that didn't sell well, likely because the userbase was small, means that there's some random sort of bias in the magazine's demographic?

Why is it that people insist on making baseless assumptions?

Also, going from beating a console by 7:1 every week to being outsold by it is not a victory.

Around the Network

PS2 software sales are actually dying off pretty quickly. Within 12 months, there won't be *that* much activity left on the platform.

MH3 for the Wii is actually a really good fit. I think it matches the demographics well.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

"Famitsu's most wanted list is usually a good indication of first week sales..."

Has that really been true in the past? I'm not so sure.

@ stranne

So far I think it has been. The best first week sales for the PS3, XBox 360, Wii and PS2 games were usually ranked highly on the list.

@ omgwtfbbq

any games have been high on that list and failed to achieve anything.

Which games are you talking about specifically? Note that games usually get ranked higher nearer to release, so a game which is soon to be released may outrank a game which eventually performs better but is far away from release.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

@ shams

PS2 software sales are actually dying off pretty quickly. Within 12 months, there won't be *that* much activity left on the platform.

MH3 for the Wii is actually a really good fit. I think it matches the demographics well.

According to VGChartz last week, a relatively unknown (completely to me) Ar Tonelico 2 is significantly beating first week sales the Ar Tonelico 1 for the PS2. What data are you basing your assumptions on? Data like this suggests otherwise with regard to sales potential.

Why couldn't Monster Hunter 3 on the PS2 perform as well as Monster Hunter 1 and 2 did on the PS2?

Install Base Wii in Japan: Less than 4 million
Install Base PS2 in Japan: Over 22 million (plus over 1 million PS3 owners with backwards compatibility)

Obviously a vast majority of Monster Hunter fans own a PS2 as the previous games were never released on the GameCube!

Enlighten me please?

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
@ stranne

So far I think it has been. The best first week sales for the PS3, XBox 360, Wii and PS2 games were usually ranked highly on the list.

Aren't many of the games far away from release? If a person says that's his "most wanted" game is X and it's a month from release, I'd say that's a far better indication of a possible sale than if it's a year from release.