Forums - Gaming Discussion - Japan is the second best selling country for the ps4

Tagged games:

All this generation we've listened to people act like Japan is irrelevant to Sony and the ps4. Saying this like Sony don't care and Japan isn't important . 

 

Well I checked the numbers and it looks like Japan is second only to the US.  It beats the UK and germany.  And this is despite launching later then these regions. Funny how these same people describe ps4 sales as amazing in the UK and germany. And they wouldn't dare call the UK/German market irrelevant and unimportant to Sony. 

 

PS4 Sales by country: 

#1 US 20m 

#2 Japan 5.4m 

#3 Germany 4.7m

#4 UK 4.3m

#5 France 3.7m

 

Let this kill the myth that Japan is not important to Sony and they'd not be bothered without it. They care a lot, I guarantee you that. 



Around the Network

This just shows us that the PlayStation 4 sells well in a wide variety of countries, as the top five indicated here all make up only 58% of all PS4 sales.



 
I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

Coincidentally it's the country they're getting their ass kicked in



TheWPCTraveler said:
This just shows us that the PlayStation 4 sells well in a wide variety of countries, as the top five indicated here all make up only 58% of all PS4 sales.

Well said. The point is Sony care about a lot of countries and treat them all as important. That's why it's a global juggernaut and dominates the  console industry WW.



In all seriousness when people think of Japan as unimportant to PS4's success it's because they are comparing it as a region, like this site is set up as Japan vs. Europe vs. NA, so they see the lop sided sales and that leads to misconceptions. I'm glad you made this thread to clear things up.



Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Coincidentally it's the country they're getting their ass kicked in

I was going to say the same thing, only with a little less bravado lol. When it comes to dedicated consoles, Nintendo reigns supreme in Japan right now. When you look at the overall numbers, EU is the only territory where Sony is dominating with ease.



In my opinion there are two sides of the story:

- I agree that PS4 is doing really well in absolute sales numbers in Japan. Especially when we consider that Japan is more handheld orientated.

- Companies get measured with their competitors. When a whole industry is doing really well, then you normally only considered by stockholders as "successful" when you are over the average of all your competitors added up.



Kerotan said:

All this generation we've listened to people act like Japan is irrelevant to Sony and the ps4. Saying this like Sony don't care and Japan isn't important . 

 

Well I checked the numbers and it looks like Japan is second only to the US.  It beats the UK and germany.  And this is despite launching later then these regions. Funny how these same people describe ps4 sales as amazing in the UK and germany. And they wouldn't dare call the UK/German market irrelevant and unimportant to Sony. 

 

PS4 Sales by country: 

#1 US 20m 

#2 Japan 5.4m 

#3 Germany 4.7m

#4 UK 4.3m

#5 France 3.7m

 

Let this kill the myth that Japan is not important to Sony and they'd not be bothered without it. They care a lot, I guarantee you that. 

Well, I never bought into the myth, that Japan is or becomes irrelevant for gaming. It isn't. PC and Xbox isn't doing too hot there, but for everything else Japan is the biggest or second-biggest market. I personally also think (and thought back then) that launching the PS4 later in Japan was wrong and hurting Sony.



3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019

Predictions: Switch / Switch vs. XB1 in the US / Three Houses first quarter

Where is Lawlight and that Megiddo guy? Straight from the horse's mouth.




Japan is becoming less relevant for Sony. You have to ask yourself - why aren’t they making Japanese-centric games? A JRPG? An anime game or anime tie-in game?

Even more than that, we have to look at the Japanese culture and way of life. They live in small boxes and spend a lot of their time outside. Console gaming just doesn’t suit them anymore.