By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Japan is the second best selling country for the ps4

Tagged games:

zorg1000 said:
Wyrdness said:

It doesn't mean the market is irrelevant like some are trying to claim, the main bulk of Japanese developed games don't do that well outside of the country especially in Europe, that 1/4 in Japan still pulls in far more for them than the rest of the world combined. This is why many games right now are being announced as PS4 and Switch with no X1 version, some people are trying to push a notion that Sony would be alright with out Japan when all that would do is surrender almost all third party support in the country to a competing platform.

Well i never personally said that Japan is irrelevant for Sony, just that his numbers in the OP dont paint the whole picture.

Under what I've just told you his numbers paint a significant story.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
zorg1000 said:

Well i never personally said that Japan is irrelevant for Sony, just that his numbers in the OP dont paint the whole picture.

You havent told me anything that pertains to what i said.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

American domination though.

zorg1000 said:
Wyrdness said:

It pertains to what you said because his point outlined in the thread is tackling the very notion that Japan is irrelevant and not important which if you're arguing against him that becomes your stance.

Normchacho said:
DialgaMarine said:

I see a lot of comments from aggressive Nintendo fans trying to bash the PS4. They seem way too eager to forget that Wii U was a thing, and was actually a direct competitor to the PS4 there, as both are dedicated home consoles and were competing for that demographic. Don’t suddenly pretend that that fight didn’t go well in PS4’s favor. Let’s be honest; if Switch didn’t have the heavy portability factor, and was a dedicated home console like PS4/ Wii U, it’s sales would be significantly different. You’re trying to compare apples to oranges. 

This is true even if you ignore the PS4 vs. Wii U aspect. Japan just by and large doesn't buy home consoles anymore.

Hell, the gaming market in Japan is currently more than 75% handhelds not including the Switch (29 million handhelds, 8.8 million home consoles) Look at that compared to the other countries the OP was talking about.

Japan:  76.7% handheld. 23.3% home console.

Germany: 38.6% handheld. 61.4% home console.

UK: 33.7% handheld. 66.3% home console.

France: 50% handheld. 50% home console.

US: 33.4% handheld. 66.6% home console.

Nobody else is even close in their preference for handhelds. in most other major markets handhelds account for about 1/3rd of the dedicated gaming market, not more than 3/4 of it. There are several reasons why Nintendo decided to make the Switch portable. One of them is absolutely the shift in the Japanese market.

If Sony is leaving the handheld market, why on earth would Japan still be as important to them? (that's a more general question, it's not directed specifically at you)

Very true, though I would say this thread does prove that there is at least somewhat of a market for home consoles there. Home consoles are at an obvious sales disadvantage, but PS4 can easily sell 10 million + consoles there, which is still no number to scoff at, especially after looking at the home console competition there. I think Sony is handling the market very intelligently by removing their main first party focus from there, but still putting money into third party content so that there is little loss, but still a good amount of gain. 

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
zorg1000 said:

It pertains to what you siad because his point is tackling the very notion that Japan is irrelevant which if you're arguing against him that becomes your stance.

I literally just told you i dont think Japan is irrelevant for Sony.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Wyrdness said:

It pertains to what you siad because his point is tackling the very notion that Japan is irrelevant which if you're arguing against him that becomes your stance.

Yeah and I've just told you why his numbers still paint a significant picture.

Wyrdness said:
zorg1000 said:

Yeah and I've just told you why his numbers still paint a significant picture.

And i never said they didn't, i said they dont paint the whole picture.

You keep trying to argue with things i never said so please just stop quoting me.

One thing to consider.
Yes in raw numbers Japan as a country is 2nd. Yes, all of you can say that we cannot compare it by region but here's the thing.

EU and NA most of the time share the same taste in genres in gaming.
FPS is dominant on this 2 region. Third person action games, Open world games ( AC, GTA, Watch Dogs, Horizon, Witcher and etc. ) as well.
These 3 are the dominant genre when it comes to sales.

Japan- mostly JRPG and MonHun.

Sony console now is not the same console before. PS1 and PS2 are dominated by Japanese games.
PS3 and PS4 are now dominated by Western games.
Their first party games which is from the Western side gives Sony the most sales. As opposed with only few from Japan Studio and PD.
When PS4 launch first in the west and Japan later on is very evident on which market they prioritize.

But yes Japan is important and Sony still cares. That's why you have exclusive deals from them from Japanese 3rd party studios. 

But what I like with Sony now is they are investing more in the emerging markets.
Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia has their own PSN now. That's what is great with Sony. They are always first when it comes to establishing a market.

Japanese 3rd party devs are also expanding on Asian markets lke Singapore, HK and SEA.
A lot of anime games are being localize in English or Chinese for this market.

NoCtiS_NoX said:
One thing to consider.
EU and NA most of the time share the same taste in genres in gaming.
FPS is dominant on this 2 region. Third person action games, Open world games ( AC, GTA, Watch Dogs, Horizon, Witcher and etc. ) as well.
These 3 are the dominant genre when it comes to sales.

Dont forget sports sims. FIFA in Europe & Madden/NBA in America are huge.