By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Japan is the second best selling country for the ps4

Tagged games:

zorg1000 said:
Wyrdness said:

It pertains to what you siad because his point is tackling the very notion that Japan is irrelevant which if you're arguing against him that becomes your stance.

I literally just told you i dont think Japan is irrelevant for Sony.

Yeah and I've just told you why his numbers still paint a significant picture.

Around the Network

Meh, Sony just doesn't care much about Japan anymore, which may hurt them in the long run. They left it on their brand power and Nintendo's blunders to do a lot of the work for them..

Those "niche" Japanese games that some love to disregard and trivialize when it's convenient, play their part in making Playstation such a reputable brand, even when they don't seem to sell all that well on paper. When the average gamer frequently hears that "PS4 has more and better games!!! IT'S THE BEST PLACE TO PLAY!!" they'll subconsciously want to get the system, without necessarily realizing or caring that their purchase wasn't really too different from Xbox, seeing as north 95% of the games they'll buy are also available on Xbox. So those excellent games that are setting PS apart from Xbox, end up boosting hardware sales via pure reputation, without them necessarily selling gangbusters (they mostly serve to add to that narrative that it has MORE and BETTER games!) A consumer wants the console with the more options and potential regardless of whether or not these options are right up their alley. This little extra something makes a difference.

With Switch being a huge success, it may not only double or triple PS4's install base in Japan, but potentially, a large group of the third party Japanese crowd who are typically associated with Playstation, might migrate to Switch as more multiplats are made for the system, resulting its becoming the lead platform for many Japanese third parties. And that could play such a big role in building Switch's and Nintendo's reputation not only in Japan, but worldwide, while Playstation gradually loses some of what made it an exceptional platform.

One thing that went wrong with Sony is that -unlike Nintendo- apart from Gran Turismo (and Crash?), they never developed or published a series that did exceptionally well in both Japan and the west. If IPs like PaRappa The Rapper, Arc The Lad, Everybody's Golf were as successful in the west -during the PS1 generation- as they were in Japan, Sony may have ended up being a lot more Japanese than it is right now!

Sony's lack of Japanese-ness is the long term result of their Japanese titles consistently failing to please or reach players outside of Japan.. they couldn't expand their Japanese studios or the budget of their Japanese IPs because of that frequent failure.

"Not caring for Japan" is a lot more critical to Playstation's growth and brand power than people think.

Wyrdness said:
zorg1000 said:

I literally just told you i dont think Japan is irrelevant for Sony.

Yeah and I've just told you why his numbers still paint a significant picture.

And i never said they didn't, i said they dont paint the whole picture.

You keep trying to argue with things i never said so please just stop quoting me.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

One thing to consider.
Yes in raw numbers Japan as a country is 2nd. Yes, all of you can say that we cannot compare it by region but here's the thing.

EU and NA most of the time share the same taste in genres in gaming.
FPS is dominant on this 2 region. Third person action games, Open world games ( AC, GTA, Watch Dogs, Horizon, Witcher and etc. ) as well.
These 3 are the dominant genre when it comes to sales.

Japan- mostly JRPG and MonHun.

Sony console now is not the same console before. PS1 and PS2 are dominated by Japanese games.
PS3 and PS4 are now dominated by Western games.
Their first party games which is from the Western side gives Sony the most sales. As opposed with only few from Japan Studio and PD.
When PS4 launch first in the west and Japan later on is very evident on which market they prioritize.

But yes Japan is important and Sony still cares. That's why you have exclusive deals from them from Japanese 3rd party studios. 

But what I like with Sony now is they are investing more in the emerging markets.
Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia has their own PSN now. That's what is great with Sony. They are always first when it comes to establishing a market.

Japanese 3rd party devs are also expanding on Asian markets lke Singapore, HK and SEA.
A lot of anime games are being localize in English or Chinese for this market.

zorg1000 said:
Dont just look at the number, look at the size of the market.

PS4 accounts for over 1/3 of all hardware sales in the UK since 2014.

PS4 accounts for about 1/2 of all hardware sales in Germany since 2014.

PS4 accounts for under 1/4 of all hardware sales in Japan since 2014.

PS4 may have sold more in Japan than any individual European country but it represents a much smaller percentage of the overall market.

Yeah but... the same is true with the US isn't it? The PS4 may have sold more in the US than any individual European country but it represents a much smaller percentage of the overall market.

Around the Network
NoCtiS_NoX said:
One thing to consider.
FPS is dominant on this 2 region. Third person action games, Open world games ( AC, GTA, Watch Dogs, Horizon, Witcher and etc. ) as well.

Dont forget sports sims. FIFA in Europe & Madden/NBA in America are huge.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:
One thing to consider.

I think you're kind of underrating FIFA there by putting it in the same category as Madden/NBA. If those two are huge then FIFA is stratospheric

zorg1000 said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:
One thing to consider.

I didn't include sports game because the appeal for those games are universal. 
Even in Japan you see sports game that sells well.

Ka-pi96 said:
zorg1000 said:
Dont just look at the number, look at the size of the market.

PS4 accounts for over 1/3 of all hardware sales in the UK since 2014.

PS4 accounts for about 1/2 of all hardware sales in Germany since 2014.

PS4 accounts for under 1/4 of all hardware sales in Japan since 2014.

PS4 may have sold more in Japan than any individual European country but it represents a much smaller percentage of the overall market.

Yeah but... the same is true with the US isn't it? The PS4 may have sold more in the US than any individual European country but it represents a much smaller percentage of the overall market.

According to this site PS4 accounts for over 1/3 of all hardware sales since 2014 so similar to UK.

Ka-pi96 said:
zorg1000 said:

I think you're kind of underrating FIFA there by putting it in the same category as Madden/NBA. If those two are huge then FIFA is stratospheric

Kinda but soccer is THE sport in Europe while America is mixed between football, basketball & baseball.