By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Japan is the second best selling country for the ps4

Tagged games:

zorg1000 said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:
One thing to consider.
EU and NA most of the time share the same taste in genres in gaming.
FPS is dominant on this 2 region. Third person action games, Open world games ( AC, GTA, Watch Dogs, Horizon, Witcher and etc. ) as well.
These 3 are the dominant genre when it comes to sales.

Dont forget sports sims. FIFA in Europe & Madden/NBA in America are huge.

I didn't include sports game because the appeal for those games are universal. 
Even in Japan you see sports game that sells well.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
zorg1000 said:
Dont just look at the number, look at the size of the market.

PS4 accounts for over 1/3 of all hardware sales in the UK since 2014.

PS4 accounts for about 1/2 of all hardware sales in Germany since 2014.

PS4 accounts for under 1/4 of all hardware sales in Japan since 2014.

PS4 may have sold more in Japan than any individual European country but it represents a much smaller percentage of the overall market.

Yeah but... the same is true with the US isn't it? The PS4 may have sold more in the US than any individual European country but it represents a much smaller percentage of the overall market.

According to this site PS4 accounts for over 1/3 of all hardware sales since 2014 so similar to UK.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Ka-pi96 said:
zorg1000 said:

Dont forget sports sims. FIFA in Europe & Madden/NBA in America are huge.

I think you're kind of underrating FIFA there by putting it in the same category as Madden/NBA. If those two are huge then FIFA is stratospheric

Kinda but soccer is THE sport in Europe while America is mixed between football, basketball & baseball.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Ka-pi96 said:
zorg1000 said:

Kinda but soccer is THE sport in Europe while America is mixed between football, basketball & baseball.

Dunno what sport you're talking about. The main sport in Europe is football...

Haha well i cant call both of them football

Ka-pi96 said:
zorg1000 said:

Haha well i cant call both of them football

Well I don't know about anyone else, but I call one of them Americaball. You can probably guess which one

Ive always thought tackleball would make sense.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:

Japan was always strongest single market in gaming (if we dont count Xbox) after US and after hole Europe, there is reason why people are comparing US, Europe and Japan sales.
Japan always had much bigger sales compared to any European country, so difrence betwine PS4 Japan numbers and Germany and UK number are actualy very low, for isntance PS3 sold more 4-4.5m consoles in Japan compared to UK, while with PS4 difrence is only 1m curently and that difrence can easily become smaller.
PS4 sales in Japan compared to rest of world PS4 sales are definitely lowest compared to previous Sony consoles, including PS3. PS3 Japan sales were around 12% of world wide PS3 sales, PS4 Japan sales are curently around 8% of world wide PS4 sales and that perceant can easily go even lower.

So yes, Japan is becoming less relevant for Sony, PS4 sales everywhere outside Japan are amazing and Sony know that Switch will own Japan in any case, so I think they are not worry at all about Japan market beacuse they know they will have great sale reagardles Japan market.

So basically you agree with me. All you can say now is less relevant which still means it's relevant and important to them. As a single country only the US is more important. 

zorg1000 said:

PS4 may have sold more in Japan than any individual European country but it represents a much smaller percentage of the overall market.

Yeah yeah yeah but that's not what this thread is about. The point is the country is still very relevant and important to them which it is. You can't deny that.

RolStoppable said:
On one hand I am surprised that Kerotan calls out Sony fans, but on the other hand it actually makes a lot of sense. If Japan is brushed off as irrelevant due to its low PS4 sales, then Kerotan's narrative of excellent PS4 sales in Japan has no chance of working at all. He can't have members of his own team undermine him so much.

The rumor is that Sony paid to get Monster Hunter World (Monster Hunter 5 according to Capcom) on the PS4 and have Switch left out at the same time. If this can be confirmed to be true in the near future, then it will be irrefutable that Sony still cares about Japan.

Beyond that, Japan is obviously home to many prestigious third party publishers, so it's important to maintain a good presence in the country. Sony understands as much.

I made this thread because certain posters with agendas keep downplaying it in Japan by saying Sony don't care about Japan or it's not important.

zorg1000 said:
Wyrdness said:

Yeah and I've just told you why his numbers still paint a significant picture.

And i never said they didn't, i said they dont paint the whole picture.

You keep trying to argue with things i never said so please just stop quoting me.

Funny how painting the whole picture for you doesn't include things like heavily aging population, long work hours, small apartments, handhelds suit lifestyle far more. Oh yeah because they makes ps4 sales seem better given the situation. Anyway that's the bigger picture so try not to leave that part out in future.

Kerotan said:
Miyamotoo said:

Japan was always strongest single market in gaming (if we dont count Xbox) after US and after hole Europe, there is reason why people are comparing US, Europe and Japan sales.
Japan always had much bigger sales compared to any European country, so difrence betwine PS4 Japan numbers and Germany and UK number are actualy very low, for isntance PS3 sold more 4-4.5m consoles in Japan compared to UK, while with PS4 difrence is only 1m curently and that difrence can easily become smaller.
PS4 sales in Japan compared to rest of world PS4 sales are definitely lowest compared to previous Sony consoles, including PS3. PS3 Japan sales were around 12% of world wide PS3 sales, PS4 Japan sales are curently around 8% of world wide PS4 sales and that perceant can easily go even lower.

So yes, Japan is becoming less relevant for Sony, PS4 sales everywhere outside Japan are amazing and Sony know that Switch will own Japan in any case, so I think they are not worry at all about Japan market beacuse they know they will have great sale reagardles Japan market.

So basically you agree with me. All you can say now is less relevant which still means it's relevant and important to them. As a single country only the US is more important. 

I haven't seen anybody say that Japan was totally irrelevant. You're arguing against a point that nobody is making.

zorg1000 said:

Yeah yeah yeah but that's not what this thread is about. The point is the country is still very relevant and important to them which it is. You can't deny that.

And you can't deny that it's becoming less relevant over time.

RolStoppable said:
On one hand I am surprised that Kerotan calls out Sony fans, but on the other hand it actually makes a lot of sense. If Japan is brushed off as irrelevant due to its low PS4 sales, then Kerotan's narrative of excellent PS4 sales in Japan has no chance of working at all. He can't have members of his own team undermine him so much.

The rumor is that Sony paid to get Monster Hunter World (Monster Hunter 5 according to Capcom) on the PS4 and have Switch left out at the same time. If this can be confirmed to be true in the near future, then it will be irrefutable that Sony still cares about Japan.

Beyond that, Japan is obviously home to many prestigious third party publishers, so it's important to maintain a good presence in the country. Sony understands as much.

I made this thread because certain posters with agendas keep downplaying it in Japan by saying Sony don't care about Japan or it's not important.

Who? Do you have am example of someone saying Japan doesn't matter to Sony?

zorg1000 said:

And i never said they didn't, i said they dont paint the whole picture.

You keep trying to argue with things i never said so please just stop quoting me.

Funny how painting the whole picture for you doesn't include things like heavily aging population, long work hours, small apartments, handhelds suit lifestyle far more. Oh yeah because they makes ps4 sales seem better given the situation. Anyway that's the bigger picture so try not to leave that part out in future.

How is listing off the reasons that Japan is less relevant to Sony than it used to be supposed to be an argument that it's still very relevant?

Answers in bold.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Miyamotoo said:
Lawlight said:

The Switch did not affect the PS4 that much, if at all. The PS4 will be flat from last year in its 4th year. It wouldn’t have grown with or without the Switch.

Thats a point, it will be flat in Japan while it will be best year in rest of world. Of Course that sales could be better without Switch, beacuse Switch is in same time home console also.

Yeah, most Japanese people are buying the Switch as a handheld. And in the rest of the world, the PS4 is the market but not Japan so it having its best year in the rest of the world doesn’t mean that it’ll be the same in Japan.

Lawlight said:
Miyamotoo said:

Thats a point, it will be flat in Japan while it will be best year in rest of world. Of Course that sales could be better without Switch, beacuse Switch is in same time home console also.

Yeah, most Japanese people are buying the Switch as a handheld. And in the rest of the world, the PS4 is the market but not Japan so it having its best year in the rest of the world doesn’t mean that it’ll be the same in Japan.

But in same time in Japan when someone that prefers more home console gaming but also like handheld gaming, can easily choose Switch over PS4 especialy with all that hype around Switch in Japan. And that wasnt case last year.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Coincidentally it's the country they're getting their ass kicked in

It's funny how people turn to "we don't need it" once the odds stop looking so good. We Nintendo fans can be that way with third parties, as if the platform wouldn't be better WITH the support. "Ah, we don't need ______ dev. Their games are hot garbage anyway."

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7