Quantcast
At what point is this child abuse? Trans kids.

Forums - Politics Discussion - At what point is this child abuse? Trans kids.

Encouraging prepubescent gender transformation is...

A good thing. Not child abuse. 9 15.79%
 
A bad thing. Child abuse. 34 59.65%
 
Depends on the situation. (In comments) 14 24.56%
 
Total:57

I made it a point to not post political topics anymore but I believe this to be important and worthy of discussion despite the stressful debate it may cause. 

At what point is pushing (or even considering) a prepubescent child to question there gender considerd child abuse? For example Charlize theorn...

https://twitter.com/MattWalshBlog/status/1119283010224959490?s=19

Or for something more apparent and I felt, have a read of this. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/580366/

I

n your opinion, is this child abuse or natural and should be encouraged? Should these parents/guardians have some form of intervention to stop this borderline child abuse?

Please be delicate and refrain from crass remarks. 

Last edited by John2290 - on 20 April 2019

 

Everything in the above reply is my opinion, from my own perspective and not representative of reality outside of my own head!

-Android user, please be gentle with critique on my spelling.

Around the Network

Your OP kind of frames the debate by using some loaded language that isn't really present in the examples. You claim that these parents are pushing their children, however in both examples you provided, it appears that the children are the ones who are being allowed to lead and express their own identities in the way they see fit. In my opinion, the only way to see such a thing as child abuse is if your own biases lead you to believe that Transgender identity is wrong in some way.



Where was anyone pushing a child to question their gender? What I read sounded like just affirming what the child said themselves rather than anyone pushing a child to do one thing or another.



...

sundin13 said:
Your OP kind of frames the debate by using some loaded language that isn't really present in the examples. You claim that these parents are pushing their children, however in both examples you provided, it appears that the children are the ones who are being allowed to lead and express their own identities in the way they see fit. In my opinion, the only way to see such a thing as child abuse is if your own biases lead you to believe that Transgender identity is wrong in some way.

Updated the OP to reflect any circumstance. A child with no sexual preferences and an underdeveloped brain can and should not be even considered in this debate until the early teens or puberty and even then it's questionable with teens. 



 

Everything in the above reply is my opinion, from my own perspective and not representative of reality outside of my own head!

-Android user, please be gentle with critique on my spelling.

Torillian said:
Where was anyone pushing a child to question their gender? What I read sounded like just affirming what the child said themselves rather than anyone pushing a child to do one thing or another.

Updated OP. Consider any circumstance, does a child have the ability to make that decision or to even consider it? 



 

Everything in the above reply is my opinion, from my own perspective and not representative of reality outside of my own head!

-Android user, please be gentle with critique on my spelling.

Around the Network
John2290 said:
Torillian said:
Where was anyone pushing a child to question their gender? What I read sounded like just affirming what the child said themselves rather than anyone pushing a child to do one thing or another.

Updated OP. Consider any circumstance, does a child have the ability to make that decision or to even consider it? 

The psychiatric community appears to think so. I tend to defer to the experts where possible. I haven't spent years studying child psychology so I assume they know more about it than I do. Hopefully if a psychiatrist had a question on bioinorganic chemistry they would afford me the same respect. 



...

Agree with op. That first link is just crazy. At 3 years old kids are just starting to talk they have no idea what they are saying.

I say parents should not encourage any of this. Once they become teens then take what they are saying into consideration. Maybe seek guidance. But when they are as young as 3 thats just the parent pushing that belive unto the kids.



It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Depends on the situation. 3 is pushing it but in some kids stuff like this crops up pretty early. Legitimate hormone treatments and the transitioning process probably shouldn't start before around 15 or 16 but it's not absurd for someone younger than that to at least partially understand what's going on in their head.



John2290 said:
sundin13 said:
Your OP kind of frames the debate by using some loaded language that isn't really present in the examples. You claim that these parents are pushing their children, however in both examples you provided, it appears that the children are the ones who are being allowed to lead and express their own identities in the way they see fit. In my opinion, the only way to see such a thing as child abuse is if your own biases lead you to believe that Transgender identity is wrong in some way.

Updated the OP to reflect any circumstance. A child with no sexual preferences and an underdeveloped brain can and should not be even considered in this debate until the early teens or puberty and even then it's questionable with teens. 

First of all, transgender identity is not a sexual preference. I'm not sure if that is what you were implying here, but that point should be made entirely clear.

Beyond that, what is the harm in allowing a child to express themselves as they see fit? In my opinion, a parenting style of forced conformity is often far more damaging to a child's development than allowing them to discover their own identity without undue pressures. Again, the only way in which I can understand someone coming to the conclusion that this is child abuse is if your own biases lead you to believe that Transgender identity is wrong in some way (ex. morally).

Last edited by sundin13 - on 20 April 2019

Puberty doesn't play a role in this discussion because a person's identity has nothing to do with sexuality. Using the word "encourage" is pretty shitty in this case, as it makes it sound like the parents are pushing the kids to make a decision. It's not something you should encourage, but it's something the child should know about and something that should be supported in case the child feels that way.



G O O D B O I