By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Microsft's New Japanese Campaign Work?

Will Microsft's New Japanese Campaign Work?

Yes 14 13.46%

No 72 69.23%

Too early to tell 18 17.31%

Total:104

Microsoft and Capcom made news last night when announcing Monster Hunter Frontier coming this Summer for Japan. With this announcement Microsoft will also be running a new campaign for the 360. The ads revolve around 3 businessmen working for Microsoft securing Japanese games for the 360. The first games was Monster Hunter Frontier and they are teasing 2 more announcements.

We can assume a Mistwalker game might be one based on the revelation that an announcement was close for the next project and I really don't know what the 3rd game might be.

As of right now I am leaning towards too early to tell but the ads are very good.

Check out the ads

http://kotaku.com/5457124/new-xbox-japan-ads-are-reminiscent-of-old-dreamcast-ads

Just want to play good games

Around the Network

THis makes perfect sense.

The 3 men represent the 3 biggest 3rd party franchises in Japan.

Basically they have MH

next FF probably with FF13 international edition or FF14

then Dragon Quest!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

maybe something unexpected like how monster hunter was cuz who would of thought that monster hunter would come to the 360 even as a mmo

Monster hunter will be on the ps3 soon enough, just another in a long line of MS bullshitting about their bought timed exclusives being exclusives and I seriously doubt it will work, the only reason MS is winning in NA is because people were too stupid to realize all of their exclusives were just timed and it came out a year earlier, but in japan the ps3 had plenty of exclusives of it's own so if MS couldn't get their foot in the door then they have no chance now

As a Japanese workmate and a fellow gamer once told me "You can't buy the Japanese".

If they have no respect for the hardware then nothing is really gonna change that.

He also said paying for Live is a big joke in Japan if you go by the internet chat.

That's his opinion anyway.

I remember the massive campaign for Star Ocean. Did that help?

Time will tell I suppose.

Around the Network
freedom_is_illusion said:
Monster hunter will be on the ps3 soon enough, just another in a long line of MS bullshitting about their bought timed exclusives being exclusives and I seriously doubt it will work, the only reason MS is winning in NA is because people were too stupid to realize all of their exclusives were just timed and it came out a year earlier, but in japan the ps3 had plenty of exclusives of it's own so if MS couldn't get their foot in the door then they have no chance now

Or maybe people weren't stupid enough to jump in the PS3 bullshit of paying $600 for a console hence Sony losing its power house name here. How does that sound for you?

It's going to take a lot more than 3 or 4 games for the Xbox 360 to become a real player in the Japanese market. It's going to take exclusive games released on a monthly basis with Microsoft explicitly stating that they are not timed exclusives for them to have any real impact.

They could have had a good start had they simply paid even more money to make the third party games they were getting in Japan true exclusives rather than timed exclusives. Now they have to work extra hard to gain the trust they have lost.

Of course if Natal takes off many of its games by the very nature of the hardware will stand a better chance of remaining exclusive even without Microsoft having to intervene.

Soonerman said:
freedom_is_illusion said:

Or maybe people weren't stupid enough to jump in the PS3 bullshit of paying $600 for a console hence Sony losing its power house name here. How does that sound for you?

1. it would have been cheaper in the long run and thats how much the hardware costed at the time so they weren't ripping anyone off

2. PS2 was still an option until the ps3 price dropped in price

3. The 360 wasn't exactly 300 when it came out either you know

They need to make a powerhouse console like the original xbox, make it as small as the wii and buy every JRPG out there. Or! Be innovative like Nintendo

Legend11 said:
It's going to take a lot more than 3 or 4 games for the Xbox 360 to become a real player in the Japanese market. It's going to take exclusive games released on a monthly basis with Microsoft explicitly stating that they are not timed exclusives for them to have any real impact.

They could have had a good start had they simply paid even more money to make the third party games they were getting in Japan true exclusives rather than timed exclusives. Now they have to work extra hard to gain the trust they have lost.

Of course if Natal takes off many of its games by the very nature of the hardware will stand a better chance of remaining exclusive even without Microsoft having to intervene.

I seriously doubt Natal is going to take off, it's going to be overpriced and probably have basically wii ports, people are only going to be interested in Natal for braging rights, their pretending it's going to be almost virtual reality but it's not even going to be close and one can only guess how many annoying bugs will make it not work right