By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Microsft's New Japanese Campaign Work?

Will Microsft's New Japanese Campaign Work?

Yes 14 13.46%

No 72 69.23%

Too early to tell 18 17.31%

Total:104

No because it's been said a million times before, and it is as true now as it always has been the japanese by and large are incredibly brand loyal and as such even though the 360 did better than it's predesessor it still is not as widely accepted as it's sony and nintendo counterparts, and the hardware failure and reliabilty issues does not help their cause.  That being said i applaud microsoft's effort at getting games more tailored to the japanese market, but sometimes as is the case with this situation it will not be enough to gain any semblance of a market share.

Around the Network
nightsurge said:
CommonMan said:
freedom_is_illusion said:
Legend11 said:
It's going to take a lot more than 3 or 4 games for the Xbox 360 to become a real player in the Japanese market. It's going to take exclusive games released on a monthly basis with Microsoft explicitly stating that they are not timed exclusives for them to have any real impact.

They could have had a good start had they simply paid even more money to make the third party games they were getting in Japan true exclusives rather than timed exclusives. Now they have to work extra hard to gain the trust they have lost.

Of course if Natal takes off many of its games by the very nature of the hardware will stand a better chance of remaining exclusive even without Microsoft having to intervene.

I seriously doubt Natal is going to take off, it's going to be overpriced and probably have basically wii ports, people are only going to be interested in Natal for braging rights, their pretending it's going to be almost virtual reality but it's not even going to be close and one can only guess how many annoying bugs will make it not work right

I would say welcome to the site, but I get the feeling this ain't your first rodeo.

Me thinks the same, CommonMan.  He already just had his thread about "360 Exclusives that went to PS3" locked.

Even though the thread didn't break a single rule, are the mods just 360 fanboys or do they just lock anything thats negative no matter how true it is

axumblade said:
Legend11 said:
It's going to take a lot more than 3 or 4 games for the Xbox 360 to become a real player in the Japanese market. It's going to take exclusive games released on a monthly basis with Microsoft explicitly stating that they are not timed exclusives for them to have any real impact.

They could have had a good start had they simply paid even more money to make the third party games they were getting in Japan true exclusives rather than timed exclusives. Now they have to work extra hard to gain the trust they have lost.

Of course if Natal takes off many of its games by the very nature of the hardware will stand a better chance of remaining exclusive even without Microsoft having to intervene.

I seriously doubt Natal is going to take off, it's going to be overpriced and probably have basically wii ports, people are only going to be interested in Natal for braging rights, their pretending it's going to be almost virtual reality but it's not even going to be close and one can only guess how many annoying bugs will make it not work right

1. we don't know the price of natal or anything like that. Everything is based on speculation at this point.

2. We don't know if there will be any or many Wii ports because it uses a different technology from the Wii and most of the "shovelware" ports wouldn't appeal to the 360 audience. If there are ports, I could see them being for decent games on the Wii, which won't hurt anything. 

3. Bragging rights? How old are you? 

4. The bugs thing is given with almost any new technology but I could see that being the main issue. Fortunately, Microsoft seem to be trying to make sure the technology works as well as possible for whenever it is released. Otherwise, NATAL would have likely been a holiday 2009 release instead of a ??? 2010 release. 

1. True but I believe MS themselves said it would be around the 200 range

2. Ever think the wii has so much shovelware because of the control system? And Natal will just get sholvelware too?

3. 360 users are already bragging about it don't make this about me

4. lol what? MS trying to make sure they release a quality product that works lol thats funny, do I have to remind you that 360s still aren't within industry standards for electronics are 4 years?

1. Msft has never ''NEVER'' said a price point of any sort.

2. Sure...but we didn't see NiN going around making sure each Dev. was onboard.

3.Sure..and vice versa..

4. Your trolling.

5. Current 360's are in the norm for fail rates...by all in all...you just ignore that uber warrenty.

TRios_Zen said:
@freedom_is_illusion: So am I to understand that since I bought AND LOVE my 360, I'm stupid?

WOW, truly you are a paragon of unbiased intelligence, spreading your light amongst the darkened masses!

On topic for the non-haters: no I think the Japanese market is a tough nut to crack, but I applaud Microsoft for being in it for the long-haul. If they stick with it I expect it will pay dividends eventually.

Lets count the ways MS have screwed you over

1. Paying for live

2. Unreliable system

3. the points system for buying stuff is designed to make you pay more then you need

4. claiming timed exclusives are exclusives

5. advertising multiplats as exclusive

6. cheaping out on the controller design 

7. Making next to no games

8. Having an incredibly limited variety in exclusives

9. overcharging for harddrives and memory cards while making it so no other ones besides their brand names will work

10. going with dvd instead of hd-dvd which is holding back all multiplats 

so yea I'd say you are stupid for buying and loving a 360 as for the being in it for the long haul, MS has yet to make a game, they are just buying up games that already exist and they aren't even buying them, they are just paying for a timed exclusive they aren't in it for the long haul if they were they'd make some games, they are just trying to weasel in by buying a timed exclusive of a brand name the japanese like

axumblade said:

Oh jeez. I smell a ban coming. >_< 

again I have broken no rules, but since one of my threads which didn't break any has gotten locked I guess I can't put it past the mods to ban someone who is following the rules

Around the Network

Strictly speaking it's too early to tell, but I think it's pretty obvious the most likely scenario is 'no'.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

It won't work. Even if it stays exclusive, too many times have former exclusives turned out to be nothing more than timed.

To answer this question, all we need to do is look at when the 360 was first launched in Japan.

This chart can be found here.

Now, notice anything odd? Like...the complete lack of any games that would appeal to the Japanese? Microsoft didn't even have Dead or Alive 4 ready for the Japanese launch, the one game that the Japanese would buy in even the smallest numbers. If memory serves, the 360 started out even more slowly than the original Xbox. And that was when Microsoft sealed their own doom in Japan.

You can't have an appealing console without an appealing launch. Even Sony, who really messed up the PS3's launch in several ways, had Resistance in America and a Gundam game in Japan. The 360 had pretty much nothing to offer. And then, Microsoft practically ignored the system for a full year, finally releasing Blue Dragon at the end of 2006 in a desperate attempt to salvage the 360 in Japan. But it was already too late. Even the string of big exclusive RPGs (Infinite Undiscovery, Star Ocean 4, Tales of Vesperia) failed to bring the 360 to any level of significance in Japan. Microsoft can fight as hard as they want for more sales and marketshare in Japan. It just won't do. I love the 360, and I wish it was more successful in Japan, but it's not going to happen. Microsoft ruined its chances long ago.

I will say the campaign cant hurt....LOL But will it help I dont think much. The Japanese are not xbox fans I dont think anything is going to change that. I will say the box did way better this gen than last in japan and these announcements MAY help when they finally release the next xbox.

You may say why because they will remember the support the 360 got from Japanese developers

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

I don't see it working; MS seems to have lost Japan completely (apparently, some shops won't pay more than ¥500 for used 360s because they have so much trouble selling them).

Also, every thread I've seen where the main focus is 360 sales in Japan seems sooner or later to turn into a flamewar where people say that the Japanese won't buy them because they're xenophobic, so Inb4 flamewars