By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - IGN: Best Movies of 2000 - 2009

gamefreak4ever said:
Boutros said:

2002 IS UP!

10. Signs

Studio: Touchstone Pictures

US Box Office to Date: $228 Million

You've heard the expression three strikes and you're out? Well M. Night Shyamalan kinda got that mixed up: His first three truly commercial features hit it out of the park before the director struck out on each successive picture. But Signs was one of the good -- almost great -- ones, the story of a father, widower, and former priest (Mel Gibson) who must confront the prospect of an alien invasion of Earth. Too bad about that whole clunky "swing away" thing, though. More

9. Minority Report

Studio: 20th Century Fox

US Box Office to Date: $132 Million

Sci-fi novelist Philip K. Dick's source material has been adapted to film more times and with better results than any other science fiction writer out there today. Minority Report is no exception to this rule. Combining the star power of Tom Cruise with the direction of Steven Spielberg, this film wowed audiences with its future tech and quality storytelling. More

8. Gangs of New York

Studio: Miramax

US Box Office to Date: $78 Million

Compared to his director-for-hire work on The Departed, Gangs is Scorsese's most personal film to date -- a flawed but damned impressive story about the birth of an ideal (America ) in the blood-stained alleys of the Five Boroughs. Daniel Day-Lewis' Bill the Butcher is one of the best villains ever made, delivering a perfect performance in a film with a scale only Scorsese's anamorphic canvas could satisfy. More

7. Road to Perdition

Studio: DreamWorks Pictures

US Box Office to Date: $104 Million

Featuring Paul Newman's final on-screen performance, Oscar winner Sam Mendes' sumptuous but somber graphic novel adaptation cast Tom Hanks against type as a 1930s Chicago hit man who must protect his son while on the run from the syndicate. The stellar cast includes Jude Law, Daniel Craig and Stanley Tucci. More

6. The Bourne Identity

Studio: Universal Pictures

US Box Office to Date: $122 Million

The first installment -- and only one directed by Doug Liman -- in the franchise based on Robert Ludlum's books turned Matt Damon into a bankable an action star. It was a throwback to 1970s espionage thrillers, and featured amnesiac assassin Jason Bourne at his most vulnerable, romantic and talkative. More

5. Adaptation

Studio: Sony Pictures Entertainment

US Box Office to Date: $22 Million

Are you a pretentious over-analytical self-professed artiste? If so, Adaptation is the movie for you. One of the only movies where Nicolas Cage doesn't lean on car chases and guns to advance the plot, it delves deep into the mind of writer extraordinaire Charlie Kaufman. And it's the closest thing to Cage's real hair we're probably gonna get. More

4. 28 Days Later

Studio: Fox Searchlight

US Box Office to Date: $45 Million

While there's some debate as to whether the original 28 Days film or its sequel was ultimately superior, there's no denying that Danny Boyle's take on the 21st century zombie defined the genre for much of the decade. Fast-moving undead and a raw, DV-quality atmosphere were a mainstream first, but hardly a last, for the zombie genre in the early part of this decade. More

3. The Ring

Studio: DreamWorks Pictures

US Box Office to Date: $129 Million

The grandfather of the J-horror remake, Gore Verbinski's adaptation of The Ring did something that few remakes can accomplish -- improve upon the original. With its surreal imagery and confident direction (Verbinski would later go on to direct the Pirates of the Caribbean films), The Ring is easily among the top 10 horror films of the decade. More

2. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Studio: New Line Cinema

US Box Office to Date: $342 Million

The bridge that ties the first two films together, The Two Towers is often overshadowed by the other installments because of its status as a middle child. But let's not forget that it features the Battle of Helms Deep, one of the most ambitious battle scenes of the series, and possibly in all of cinema to date. More

1. Spider-Man

Studio: Sony Pictures Imageworks

US Box Office to Date: $404 Million

You will believe a spider can swing! Sony married the perfect director with one of -- if not the -- greatest superheroes when they hired Sam Raimi to bring the wallcrawler to life. A true fan of the comic, Raimi paid as much attention to Peter Parker as he did to his CGI-enhanced counterpart, and the series is still going strong today as a result. More

Spiderman did its thing in part 1...started to suffer as each part contined...

Wut? Spider-Man 2 was the best one.

Around the Network

Yey! LotR!

Shaun of the Dead will be 1st for 2004

Carl2291 said:
Yey! LotR!

Shaun of the Dead will be 1st for 2004

I've never seen that movie but 2004 is for Spider-Man 2

I'll bet that Eternal Sunshine takes first place for '04. It even got a "best movie of the decade" from some movie critic group thing. Or maybe Scooby-Doo 2 will take first... who knows?

rynnthz said:
I'll bet that Eternal Sunshine takes first place for '04. It even got a "best movie of the decade" from some movie critic group thing. Or maybe Scooby-Doo 2 will take first... who knows?

Scooby-Doo 2 was actually good lol

Not top 10 material but rather good nonetheless.

Around the Network
Boutros said:

Here are the movies I wanted to see in the 2002 list:

Big Fish
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the Kin
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
Kill Bill: Vol. 1

Finding Nemo
The Matrix Reloaded
The Matrix Revolutions
The School of Rock

X-Men 2
Cold Mountain

I can understand why School of Rock and maybe both Matrix movies are not in their list but there's no Big Fish? They've never seen that movie confirmed lol

Cold Mountain should have been there too. It was epic.

I love Big Fish as well but I don't think a lot of people enjoyed it as much as I do. Most of them are just like "ya it's not bad..."

For the 2003 list, as much as I like Kill Bill Vol 1 and X2 as well as Big Fish, Oldboy is #2 that year behind The Return of Kings. (And yes I dig LOTR movies)

My personal list for 2004 (in no particular order):

Spider-Man 2
The Incredibles (This would be my number 1 movie of the year)
The Bourne Supremacy
Million Dollar Baby
Sideways
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Shaun of the Dead

and.... Mean Girls. (It's a great movie!)

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

saicho said:

Spider-Man 2
The Bourne Supremacy
Million Dollar Baby
Sideways
Shaun of the Dead

I really like your list.  And yeah, Mean Girls is a great movie.  My list would look pretty much the same, I think...

As for surprises that might be on there, what about HP & the Prizoner of Azkaban?  It was pretty good--a big jump from the previous two HP movies, and it has a top quality director.  Also, since we've seen Elf & Bad Santa, what about something like either 50 First Dates or Harold & Kumar?  Others with a shot: Kung Fu Hustle, Napoleon Dynamite, Saw (?), Shrek 2 & Team America.

Damn, actually more good movies that year than I'd thought...

And this is why IGN shouldn't rate anything.

I guess City of God isn't too mainstream for IGN...... *rolls eyes*
It's your last chance IGN! COG better be on 2004's list

And YAY @ Oldboy!

saicho said:
Boutros said:

Here are the movies I wanted to see in the 2002 list:

Big Fish
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the Kin
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
Kill Bill: Vol. 1

Finding Nemo
The Matrix Reloaded
The Matrix Revolutions
The School of Rock

X-Men 2
Cold Mountain

I can understand why School of Rock and maybe both Matrix movies are not in their list but there's no Big Fish? They've never seen that movie confirmed lol

Cold Mountain should have been there too. It was epic.

I love Big Fish as well but I don't think a lot of people enjoyed it as much as I do. Most of them are just like "ya it's not bad..."

For the 2003 list, as much as I like Kill Bill Vol 1 and X2 as well as Big Fish, Oldboy is #2 that year behind The Return of Kings. (And yes I dig LOTR movies)

Spider-Man 2
The Bourne Supremacy
Million Dollar Baby
Sideways
Shaun of the Dead

lol yeah Mean Girls was fun.