By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - IGN: Best Movies of 2000 - 2009

Nice list OP, District 9 is a nice movie.

Around the Network

that's weird, boutros hasn't updated this.. (avatar won!! )

morenoingrato said:
that's weird, boutros hasn't updated this.. (avatar won!! )

Sorry! I was gone all day.

I'll update now!

2009 IS UP!

10. The Hangover

Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures

US Box Office to Date: $277 Million

This isn't the first bachelor-party-in-Vegas comedy, but it might be the funniest. The chemistry between straight-man Stu (Ed Helms), playboy Phil (Bradley Cooper) and oddball Alan (Zach Galifianakis) works like a well-oiled machine. The off-the-wall humor and irreverent tone were just what audiences craved amidst a summer crowded with big event films and special-effects extravaganzas. More

9. Zombieland

Studio: Columbia Pictures

US Box Office to Date: $76 Million

This zombie road movie is one of the best horror-comedies since Shaun of the Dead. Following zombocalypse survivors Tallahassee and Columbus to an amusement park where the undead don't so much walk as get smashed is more fun than it should be -- it could have been lame, B-grade schitck. Instead, Zombieland keeps the characters in the foreground while not afraid to get meta about the genre it both parodies and revitalizes. More

8. Fantastic Mr. Fox

Studio: Fox Searchlight

US Box Office to Date: $19 Million

Stop-motion animation is just what Wes Anderson needed to avoid feeling one-note, and the story of Mr. Fox and friends trying to outsmart angry farmers comes off as his best film since Rushmore. Anderson makes the 2-D world these puppets live in endearing, while creating a movie that more than does Roald Dahl's source material proud. More

7. Paranormal Activity

Studio: Paramount Pictures

US Box Office to Date: $108 Million

With a budget of $11,000, Paranormal Activity emerged seemingly from nowhere with its Blair Witch-esque approach to horror. Utilizing the "found footage" technique, the film never appeared overly gimmicky in its gripping portrayal of a rapidly escalating haunting. Arriving at the tail end of 2009, we expect to see our fair share of Paranormal rip-off's in the decade to come. More

6. Inglourious Basterds

Studio: The Weinstein Company

US Box Office to Date: $121 Million

Pretentious and bloody as hell? Definitely. But Quentin Tarantino fans wouldn't have it any other way, as the writer-director's long-gestating story about a crew of Nazi killers killing Nazis made its way to the big screen. Tarantino's love for the movies is in every frame, and Christoph Waltz's Col. Landa is Basterds's best contribution to the halls of movie villainy. More

5. Moon

Studio: Sony Pictures Classics

US Box Office to Date: $5 Million

Sam Rockwell lives on the moon with a robot who sounds like Kevin Spacey. What more do you need to know?! How about this: Moon is a throwback to the classic sci-fi of the early 1970s, where ideas, performances and mood were just as important as, if not more important than, space battles and big explosions. More

4. Star Trek

Studio: Paramount Pictures

US Box Office to Date: $258 Million

For the first time in the franchise's history, Trek delivered on the promise of Space being the final frontier. J.J. Abrams' reboot made it cool for anyone to be fans of guys called Kirk and Spock. ILM's spectacle mixed well with Abrams' focus on character and drama, making Star Trek the best type of summer entertainment. More

3. Up

Studio: Walt Disney Pictures

US Box Office to Date: $293 Million

Pixar does it again with an imaginative and fanciful film about an old man, an eager young boy, a talking dog and an exotic giant bird. As improbable as it sounds, it all works together in a story that hits every emotional beat with precision. And it looks beautiful, too. More

2. District 9

Studio: TriStar Pictures

US Box Office to Date: $116 Million

Good sci-fi forces us to question parts of our humanity. Great sci-fi does that and throws in a MechWarrior suit chase/shoot out. District 9 provides an original take on aliens visiting Earth, treating the new arrivals as shanty-town refugees and addressing themes of racism and moral responsibility without letting the pulse rifles and CG distract from a very compelling, very emotional, story. More

1. Avatar

Studio: 20th Century Fox

US Box Office to Date: $368 Million

James Cameron's long-awaited sci-fi epic almost literally brought viewers to another planet thanks to its groundbreaking, photorealistic visual effects and 3-D, yet it told a story -- about a soldier who goes native and defends an indigenous civilization from his own war-mongering people -- as familiar and old as the Wild West. More

No Drag Me to Hell? :O

Well...good list other than that.

Around the Network

Can't wait for the overall list.

I hope to see Spider-Man 1 and 2.

Decent List, but Where is Coraline?

Warrior of Light #66

"I'm not illiterate, my parents were married!"

3DS FC: 2878 9589 2016

Fantastic Mr Fox! I called that one!

And sorry Boutros, I knew that Paranormal Activity would win over Drag me to Hell. To be honest, I found the former also a more enjoyable romp as a horror but then again, I've always been more of a sucker when it comes to suspense then to gore.

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

I loved that Let the Right One In made the 2008 list it almost makes up for them not putting The Pianist and Hotel Rwanda on earlier lists.

Esmoreit said:
Fantastic Mr Fox! I called that one!

And sorry Boutros, I knew that Paranormal Activity would win over Drag me to Hell. To be honest, I found the former also a more enjoyable romp as a horror but then again, I've always been more of a sucker when it comes to suspense then to gore.

I haven't seen Paranormal Activity and I'm sure I would love it but above Drag Me to Hell...I don't know.