By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - IGN: Best Movies of 2000 - 2009

The 2007 list made the most sense all you have to do is replace 300 as the top movie with No Country for Old Man or Their will be Blood and you have a very good top ten list.

Around the Network
saicho said:
Boutros said:
Wildvine53 said:
Boutros said:
Wildvine53 said:
Boutros said:
Wildvine53 said:
Movies I think should be in the Top 10 of "08

Wall-e
Speed Racer
Sex and The City
Igor

I just want to be sure of something here. Are you serious?

very serious! I know some people didn't think Igor was very good, but most of the people who thought that didn't even see it

I haven't seen it indeed.

It's nice to see Speed Racer in your list though. I liked the movie a lot. It had a lot of style.

Another Speed Racer Fan! I honestly Loved Speed Racer, Seeing it in Imax was stunning, and Christina Ricci was awesome as Trixie

I wish I would have seen it in Imax or in theaters. It was still awesome in Blu-Ray though.

I love Christina Ricci ever since Casper.

I didn't expect to see anyone list Speed Racer as the best movies in 2008 and now we have two!

Speed Racer is not a bad movie. It actually turned out to be a lot better than I expected but it's nowhere close to best 10 movies of the year.

On 2007 List:

I actually don't think it's that bad a list other than missing Enchanted, 3:10 to Yuma and Juno (never watched Into The Wild). Zodiac is a good movie although it's a bit too long for me. Not a great movie for me though.

What I want on 2008 List:

Slumdog Millionaire
Iron Man
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
WALL·E
The Dark Knight
Horton Hears a Who

Never get to watch Frost/Nixon or Milk though.

And for me, Kung Fu Panda was a good movie. It was very disappointing.

Kung Fu Panda was disappointing?

It was the total contrary for me. It blew me away! Biggest suprise of the year!

Boutros said:
Movies I want to see in the 2008 list:

Slumdog Millionaire
Iron Man
WALL·E
Cloverfield
Hellboy II: The Golden Army
Kung Fu Panda
Quarantine
Speed Racer (lol)

Kung Fu Panda over WALL·E please!

DIE!

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

dtewi said:
Boutros said:

Slumdog Millionaire
Iron Man
WALL·E
Cloverfield
Kung Fu Panda
Quarantine
Speed Racer (lol)

DIE!

AAAYYYAAA!!

I kill you!

2008 IS UP!

10. Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Studio: Universal Pictures

US Box Office to Date: $63 Million

While this number 10 spot could have just as easily gone to Tropic Thunder or Pineapple Express, we chose Forgetting Sarah Marshall as the best comedy of the year. Written by and starring Jason Segel, this hilarious movie boasts a realistically painful break-up story, Kristen Bell in a bikini and a Dracula rock opera with puppets. What's not to like? More

9. Slumdog Millionaire

Studio: Fox Searchlight

US Box Office to Date: $141 Million

Like its central character, this unassuming indie drama from British director Danny Boyle came from seemingly out of nowhere and became a national sensation in 2008. The tale of an orphaned boy from Mumbai who becomes a prominent contestant on the Indian version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire struck a chord with mainstream audiences who had never seen anything like it before. More

8. The Strangers

Studio: Rogue Pictures

US Box Office to Date: $53 Million

A simple idea, executed simply, proves once-and-for-all that huge production values and constant, MTV-style editing aren't necessary to make a terrifying and financially successful horror film. Without pandering to the ADD film crowd, The Strangers evoked real tension through long, quiet sequences and first-rate sound design. We dare you not to scream at least once. More

7. The Wrestler

Studio: Fox Searchlight

US Box Office to Date: $26 Million

The underdog making a heartfelt comeback is a story Hollywood has often told, with varying success. But The Wrestler approaches the subject matter with an unapologetic look at a broken, not sprained, wrestler who means well, but ultimately doesn't want his comeback to have a happy ending. Watching Mickey Rourke struggle with this marks one of the best comeback performances in years. More

6. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Studio: Paramount Pictures

US Box Office to Date: $128 Million

Fincher's look at 80 years in the life of a man who ages backward does share some obvious similarities with Forrest Gump -- also scripted by Eric Roth -- but Fincher's control of sentiment and presentation allowed The Curious Case of Benjamin Button to be both insightful and romantic without ever falling into emotional schlock. That, plus Brad Pitt's remarkable performance and some amazing CG, makes for an overall classic drama. More

5. Let the Right One In

Studio: Magnolia Pictures

US Box Office to Date: $2.1 Million

Less a horror movie than a skewed love story, Swedish director Tomas Alfredson's vampire film reminds us that we need to get out and see more international cinema. Starring two children, one as a centuries-old bloodsucker and the other as her potential new life partner (or is that death partner?), Let the Right One In is scary for sure, but not in the usual way at all. More

4. Cloverfield

US Box Office to Date: $80 Million

So it's a mix of Ghostbusters meets Godzilla meets 9/11 with a camera shakiness that makes you want to throw up half the time. But other than that, Cloverfield is another example of the impressive innovation that the sci-fi genre is embarking on. A bunch of yuppie New Yorkers die in it too, which is also nice. More

3. Wall-E

Studio: Walt Disney Pictures

US Box Office to Date: $224 Million

Celebrated largely for its opening half-hour, WALL.E proved that adorable robotic pantomime and some well-placed, old-timey music could trump a dialogue-laden script any day of the week. The story of a lonely janitorial robot's first contact with true love, WALL.E also embraced the decade's predominant cinematic message: the environment. Stay Green, America! More

2. Iron Man

US Box Office to Date: $318 Million

Robert Downey, Jr. and director Jon Favreau turned a mid-level Marvel hero into the decade's most welcomed new Avenger on the block. Fueled by the stuff of pure summer entertainment, Iron Man made Downey a bankable actor, as opposed to just a really talented one, and proved that Marvel has the market cornered on turning their heroes into movie stars. More

1. The Dark Knight

Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures

US Box Office to Date: $533 Million

The most commercially successful comic book film adaptation ever made, The Dark Knight boasts great performances across the board, not the least of which is the late, great Heath Ledger's brilliantly diabolical turn as The Joker. This is an epic crime saga and psychological drama masquerading as a superhero movie. More

Around the Network
Boutros said:
dtewi said:
Boutros said:

Slumdog Millionaire
Iron Man
WALL·E
Cloverfield
Kung Fu Panda
Quarantine
Speed Racer (lol)

DIE!

AAAYYYAAA!!

I kill you!

Like she can beat Tai Lung!

SUPER NERVE STRIKE! (or whatever)

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

of the 200 8 list Iv only seen The Dark Kngiht : /

I hope avatar goes 2009!!

For 2009 in random order:

The hangover
Wolverine
Up
Inglorious bastards
The watchmen
Fantastic Mr Fox perhaps?
Sherlock Holmes.
Paranormal activity

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

Top 5 Movies of 2009

1. Inglourious Basterds
2. UP
3. Up in the Air
4. District 9
5. Avatar(would be better...if it were released before Dances with Wolves)