By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - IGN: Best Movies of 2000 - 2009

2004 IS UP!

10. The Bourne Supremacy

Studio: Universal Pictures

US Box Office to Date: $176 Million

With this exciting sequel, director Paul Greengrass injected more political subtext (and plenty of shaky cam work) into the saga of Jason Bourne, who comes out of hiding to hunt down those responsible for his girlfriend's murder. His mission also brings him that much closer to uncovering his forgotten past. More

9. Team America: World Police

Studio: Paramount Pictures

US Box Office to Date: $33 Million

Not many films are just as funny in concept as they are in execution, but Team America is definitely one of them. Created by Trey Parker and Matt Stone (of South Park fame), this political parody centers around a Broadway actor trained to stop terrorists and the Film Actors Guild (led by Kim Jong-il) as the newest member of Team America -- the world's police. If that doesn't hook you, how about the fact that the cast is composed entirely of marionettes? More

8. Dawn of the Dead

Studio: Universal Pictures

US Box Office to Date: $59 Million

Clearly taking his cue from 28 Days Later, Zack Snyder's arguably superior version of George Romero's Dawn of the Dead employed the newly crowned fast-moving zombie to tremendous effect. But not only was the film fast, violent and scary as hell, it boasted a strong script with solid performances and actual character. In a horror movie! Think of that! More

7. Shaun of the Dead

Studio: Focus Features

US Box Office to Date: $14 Million

Shaun made Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg brands in both the U.K. and the U.S. by turning the zombie movie into something equal parts horror and comedy -- with a good measure of dramatic stakes thrown in. Shaun is one of the genre's Top Five, and one of the best reasons why it's good to be a fanboy. More

6. Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy

Studio: DreamWorks Pictures

US Box Office to Date: $85 Million

Arguably the first in Will Ferrell's long, long list of almost solely improvised movies, Anchorman came as a breath of fresh air against the old Hollywood standard of rehashing lines from a script. It's basically, "Give me a plot and five of my friends, and we'll do the rest." Since then, Ferrell's been trying to recreate Anchorman's magic to no avail. Keep trying sir, Step Brothers wasn't half bad. More

5. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures

US Box Office to Date: $250 Million

Let's forget for a moment the fact that this is a popular set of children's books that you end up borrowing from your 12-year-old sister after she's done with them. This movie has everything you want: serial killing, magic, and Gary Oldman. Where Chris Columbus previously took the series more towards a children's slant, newly acquisitioned director Alfonso Cuarón made it darker and more character driven. More

4. The Incredibles

Studio: Walt Disney Pictures

US Box Office to Date: $261 Million

Pixar continued its reign as the king of computer animation in 2004 with its stylish take on the superhero genre. While clearly influenced by established comic book archetypes, The Incredibles still feels fresh thanks to the heartwarming love story between Mr. Incredible and Elastigirl, and their family of "supers" coming together to fight the bad guy. More

3. Kill Bill Vol. 2

Studio: Miramax

US Box Office to Date: $66 Million

The Bride's vendetta comes to an end with some of the best dialogue Quentin Tarantino has ever written. The Bride takes on a more tragic edge as she closes in on Bill, and Bill becomes that rare villain we truly hate to love. Vol. 1 gets most of the action out of the way, so Vol. 2 can give us a dramatic conclusion to the whole bloody affair. More

2. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Studio: Focus Features

US Box Office to Date: $34 Million

What if science could erase your broken heart, but then you realize that actually losing that love was better than not having it at all? Sunshine asks that question, and Charlie Kaufman's script uses the eclectic romance between Joel and Clementine to answer it. Michel Gondry's trippy direction provides the most unique take on love's labor lost. More

1. Spider-Man 2

Studio: Sony Pictures Entertainment

US Box Office to Date: $374 Million

Sorry, The Dark Knight fans, but for some of us on the IGN staff this film stands as the greatest superhero movie ever. Following Peter Parker's increasingly troubled dual existence as Spider-Man, the picture shines not just for its Spidey action scenes but also for the little touches: the citizens carrying the unconscious wallcrawler on the train; MJ's ditched wedding run through the park; the "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head" interlude. Just perfect. More

Around the Network

Spider-Man 2 #1!
I love IGN!

Here are the movies I wanted to see in the 2004 list:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Million Dollar Baby
Spider-Man 2
Dawn of the Dead

The Day After Tomorrow

I can understand why The Day After Tomorrow is not there but Million Dollar Baby was awesome. Strange.

Here are the movies I want to see in the 2005 list:

Sin City
V for Vendetta
Batman Begins
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
The 40 Year Old Virgin
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
King Kong
War of the Worlds
Hide and Seek

A lot of great movies in 2005.

Spiderman 2 is #1?! Well, I was close with Eternal Sunshine. Disappointed that there was no Scooby-Doo 2...psych.

Around the Network
rynnthz said:
Spiderman 2 is #1?! Well, I was close with Eternal Sunshine. Disappointed that there was no Scooby-Doo 2...psych.

You can go laugh of the Spider-Man haters here:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=97699&page=1

hihihihi

I hope spiderman doesn't make it to the list of it's year, It was awful compared to the other 2, I also hope avatar and slumdog millionare to enter in 2009 list (or slumdog was from 2008?)

morenoingrato said:
I hope spiderman doesn't make it to the list of it's year, It was awful compared to the other 2, I also hope avatar and slumdog millionare to enter in 2009 list (or slumdog was from 2008?)

Slumdog Millionare was from 2008. Also, Dark Knight should get best for 2008, anyway.

Boutros said:

Sin City
V for Vendetta
Batman Begins
The 40 Year Old Virgin
King Kong
War of the Worlds
Hide and Seek

To me, the list fell apart after The 40 Year Old Virgin.  I have seen 4 out of the 5 movies (except Hide and Seek). While I think they were good, they were definitely not the best of the year especially King Kong and War of the Worlds.

My list (in no particular order):

Batman Begins
The 40-Year-Old Virgin
Brokeback Mountain (my #1 movie of the year)
Sin City
Munich
A History of Violence
Serenity (my favorite movie of the year)
Crash

Also, I didn't include the Prisoner of Azkaban on my list last year or Goblet of Fire this year. While I remember I enjoyed the movie and thought they were really good, I don't actually remember what happened in the two movies which is why I chose not to put them on my list.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

saicho said:
Boutros said:

Sin City
V for Vendetta
Batman Begins
The 40 Year Old Virgin
King Kong
War of the Worlds
Hide and Seek

To me, the list fell apart after The 40 Year Old Virgin.  I have seen 4 out of the 5 movies (except Hide and Seek). While I think they were good, they were definitely not the best of the year especially King Kong and War of the Worlds.

My list (in no particular order):

Batman Begins
The 40-Year-Old Virgin
Brokeback Mountain (my #1 movie of the year)
Sin City
Munich
A History of Violence
Serenity (my favorite movie of the year)
Crash

Also, I didn't include the Prisoner of Azkaban on my list last year or Goblet of Fire this year. While I remember I enjoyed the movie and thought they were really good, I don't actually remember what happened in the two movies which is why I chose not to put them on my list.

Ok Narnia might not be that great but King Kong was awesome.