By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - IGN: Best Movies of 2000 - 2009

No Pianist makes me sad :(

Around the Network

Why isn't the Pianist in the 2002 top list?! Fuck IGN.

And Spiderman #1?! I'm not sure i would even put it in my 2002 top ten. it was a good movie, but it's not near the greatest.

2003 IS UP!

10. Elf

Studio: New Line Cinema

US Box Office to Date: $173 Million

Most of today's modern Christmas favorites are lumped into two categories: it's either too vulgar for children or Tim Allen stars in it. So where does a family find solace during the frigid holiday cold? In Will Ferrell and his portrayal of Buddy, the lovable human/elf that makes us all want to morph back into a kid again. He also gets hit by a car a couple times, which he kind of deserves for making Semi-Pro. More

9. Bad Santa

Studio: Dimension Films

US Box Office to Date: $60 Million

In a year with several enjoyable holiday flicks, Bad Santa is the one we remember most fondly. On the surface, this film comes off as a raunchy, vulgar crime comedy starring Billy Bob Thornton. But as you make your way through the movie, you realize its black heart is beating. While it will never take the place of our favorite childhood holiday classics, this twisted Christmas film does manage to find its way onto our TV screens every year. More

8. Oldboy

Studio: Show East

US Box Office to Date: $0.7 Million

Whether it's pulling out teeth with a hammer, eating a live, writhing squid or inadvertently banging a family member, there's plenty of shock value to go around in Oldboy. There's also a lot of hardcore ass-kickery and inspired filmmaking, as well, making Oldboy one of those films that sustains itself beyond its twists and fight choreography. More

7. Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

Studio: 20th Century Fox

US Box Office to Date: $94 Million

Director Peter Weir's glorious art house epic based on the novels of Patrick O'Brian follows swashbuckling Captain Jack Aubrey (Russell Crowe) of the HMS Surprise. The film, which feels like Star Trek set on the high seas, offers a detailed study of British naval life during the Napoleonic wars. More

6. Lost in Translation

Studio: Focus Features

US Box Office to Date: $45 Million

We're not sure what Bill Murray whispered to ScarJo at the end of the film either, but we know that it's just one of many great moments in the decade's best May-December romance. Sofia Coppola made an indie movie that appealed to mainstream audiences, without compromise. The movie just is, and that's enough. More

5. Finding Nemo

Studio: Walt Disney Pictures

US Box Office to Date: $340 Million

Got a kid? Do you have to watch hours upon hours of Dora the Explorer and Bob the Builder? Well, why don't you pop in something you'll like too, like say, Finding Nemo? A heartwarming tale of a father searching for his son, it will tug at even your cold, frigid heart -- even though you won't admit it. More

4. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

Studio: Walt Disney Pictures

US Box Office to Date: $305 Million

Pirate fights and Keira Knightley for the men; Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom for the ladies. Pirates of the Caribbean started out as a stupid idea for a movie based on a theme park ride and ended up paying off in the end. Three films deep and a fourth in the works, the formula for curses, octopus faces and treasure is apparently working -- and it's about as long as the wait time to get on the actual rollercoaster. More

3. X-Men 2: X-Men United

US Box Office to Date: $215 Million

One of the best superhero movies, natch! Bryan Singer proved with this film that Superman II from way back when wasn't the only superhero sequel that could top the original. Fleshing out the mythos of Professor Xavier's band of merry mutants while also losing the slightly chincy factor of the first film, X2 also set the mold for future X-films to come with its introduction of new characters from the team's extensive roster. More

2. Kill Bill Vol. 1

Studio: Miramax

US Box Office to Date: $70 Million

A mix tape comprised of Quentin Tarantino's favorite bloody inspirations from Asian cinema, Kill Bill follows the Bride's search for revenge, giving us one of the decade's strongest heroines and a story that shows off what movies can do. Great fight scenes and Robert Richardson's excellent camerawork makes Bill one of the decade's ballsiest offerings. More

1. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

US Box Office to Date: $377 Million

The last chapter in Peter Jackson's saga based on Tolkien's book series never seems to end, but we didn't really want it to anyway. The final battle for Middle-earth pits the forces of good against the ultimate evil, and while we always knew who would come out ahead, it sure was impressive to watch. More

Wow, their 2003 list is kind of bad lol

Elf? Bad Santa? No.

Here are the movies I wanted to see in the 2003 list:

Big Fish
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the Kin
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
Kill Bill: Vol. 1

Finding Nemo
The Matrix Reloaded
The Matrix Revolutions
The School of Rock

X-Men 2
Cold Mountain

I can understand why School of Rock and maybe both Matrix movies are not in their list but there's no Big Fish? They've never seen that movie confirmed lol

Cold Mountain should have been there too. It was epic.

Around the Network

Here are the movies I want to see in the 2004 list:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Million Dollar Baby
Spider-Man 2 (This better be first )
Dawn of the Dead
The Day After Tomorrow

2004 wasn't that great (Except for Spider-Man 2!)...

I may be the only one who thinks LoTR is overrated, but I really didn't think they were the best (or second best) movies of their respective years. I liked the first one, but other than that...

Erm, ignoring the fact that... Spider-Man somehow topped 2002...

Well, onto 2004. Some favs:
Collateral, Kill Bill 2, Shaun of the Dead, The Aviator, The Incredibles.

Then there's a bunch of foreign / odd movies as personal favorites, which I'm sure won't make it. I haven't seen Eternal Sunshine yet, though I hear it's good.

For me its got to be Gladiator, the Bourne Trilogy...

http://www.vgchartz.com/sigs/output.php?userid=60726%5B/img%5D%5B/url%5D">

Chairman-Mao said:
The gladiator is a good movie. It deserves its spot.

Man nearly 20 times...I've seen that movies...

Boutros said:

2002 IS UP!

10. Signs

Studio: Touchstone Pictures

US Box Office to Date: $228 Million

You've heard the expression three strikes and you're out? Well M. Night Shyamalan kinda got that mixed up: His first three truly commercial features hit it out of the park before the director struck out on each successive picture. But Signs was one of the good -- almost great -- ones, the story of a father, widower, and former priest (Mel Gibson) who must confront the prospect of an alien invasion of Earth. Too bad about that whole clunky "swing away" thing, though. More

9. Minority Report

US Box Office to Date: $132 Million

Sci-fi novelist Philip K. Dick's source material has been adapted to film more times and with better results than any other science fiction writer out there today. Minority Report is no exception to this rule. Combining the star power of Tom Cruise with the direction of Steven Spielberg, this film wowed audiences with its future tech and quality storytelling. More

8. Gangs of New York

Studio: Miramax

US Box Office to Date: $78 Million

Compared to his director-for-hire work on The Departed, Gangs is Scorsese's most personal film to date -- a flawed but damned impressive story about the birth of an ideal (America ) in the blood-stained alleys of the Five Boroughs. Daniel Day-Lewis' Bill the Butcher is one of the best villains ever made, delivering a perfect performance in a film with a scale only Scorsese's anamorphic canvas could satisfy. More

7. Road to Perdition

Studio: DreamWorks Pictures

US Box Office to Date: $104 Million

Featuring Paul Newman's final on-screen performance, Oscar winner Sam Mendes' sumptuous but somber graphic novel adaptation cast Tom Hanks against type as a 1930s Chicago hit man who must protect his son while on the run from the syndicate. The stellar cast includes Jude Law, Daniel Craig and Stanley Tucci. More

6. The Bourne Identity

Studio: Universal Pictures

US Box Office to Date: $122 Million

The first installment -- and only one directed by Doug Liman -- in the franchise based on Robert Ludlum's books turned Matt Damon into a bankable an action star. It was a throwback to 1970s espionage thrillers, and featured amnesiac assassin Jason Bourne at his most vulnerable, romantic and talkative. More

5. Adaptation

Studio: Sony Pictures Entertainment

US Box Office to Date: $22 Million

Are you a pretentious over-analytical self-professed artiste? If so, Adaptation is the movie for you. One of the only movies where Nicolas Cage doesn't lean on car chases and guns to advance the plot, it delves deep into the mind of writer extraordinaire Charlie Kaufman. And it's the closest thing to Cage's real hair we're probably gonna get. More

4. 28 Days Later

Studio: Fox Searchlight

US Box Office to Date: $45 Million

While there's some debate as to whether the original 28 Days film or its sequel was ultimately superior, there's no denying that Danny Boyle's take on the 21st century zombie defined the genre for much of the decade. Fast-moving undead and a raw, DV-quality atmosphere were a mainstream first, but hardly a last, for the zombie genre in the early part of this decade. More

3. The Ring

Studio: DreamWorks Pictures

US Box Office to Date: $129 Million

The grandfather of the J-horror remake, Gore Verbinski's adaptation of The Ring did something that few remakes can accomplish -- improve upon the original. With its surreal imagery and confident direction (Verbinski would later go on to direct the Pirates of the Caribbean films), The Ring is easily among the top 10 horror films of the decade. More

2. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

US Box Office to Date: $342 Million

The bridge that ties the first two films together, The Two Towers is often overshadowed by the other installments because of its status as a middle child. But let's not forget that it features the Battle of Helms Deep, one of the most ambitious battle scenes of the series, and possibly in all of cinema to date. More

1. Spider-Man

Studio: Sony Pictures Imageworks

US Box Office to Date: $404 Million

You will believe a spider can swing! Sony married the perfect director with one of -- if not the -- greatest superheroes when they hired Sam Raimi to bring the wallcrawler to life. A true fan of the comic, Raimi paid as much attention to Peter Parker as he did to his CGI-enhanced counterpart, and the series is still going strong today as a result. More

Spiderman did its thing in part 1...started to suffer as each part contined...