By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - *Prediction God Of War 3 will sell...*

2.2 million ltd, the series has been in a steady decline.

Around the Network

Probably 2-2.5 million in America.
1-1.5 million in PAL
50-100k in Japan

In other words 3-4 million. And I suspect on the low end of that really.

Id say its pretty realistic. My total guess is around 2 M LTD but we really dont know... ur guess is as good as mine

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

Neos said:
Kantor said:
Kasz216 said:

Why is everyone predicting numbers higher then GOW 1 when the PS3 traditionally undersells PS2 franchises by 10-20% and GOW 2 sold less then GOW1?

i'd say... 2.3 Million?  Upper limit of 3 million?

That's lifetime by the way.

Because of MGS3 and MGS4

Because the PS3/360/Wii had launched in March 2007

Because piracy was rampant

Because there were many quality exclusives

Because internet hype wasn't as powerful as it is today.

I crossed down the irrelevant arguments.

K, how about these.

1. Preorders. Currently at 310k in America with 11 weeks till release and gaining mininum 15k per week. Will end up with at least 500k, which translates to 700-800k week one in America alone. Who knows, preorders could explode. 1 million isn't out of the question.

2. Bundles. Sony likes to bundle everything this gen and this will be no exception.

3. Other sales for the first two games are ridiculously outdated. You expect me to believe Heavenly Sword outsold God of War 1 and God of War 2? No. Just no. They've been on the shelves FOREVER. In Australia, they're the easiest PS2 games to find which leads me to believe they've been selling well for a long time.

CGI-Quality said:
I think some of you will find that 2 mill LTD for this game is far too low. You're telling me that this game will sell less than Killzone 2?

More than KZ2 but less than LBP: 3 million LTD.

Around the Network

A lot.

Like 5 millions a lot.

I think KZ2 fever is building up again. The game looks good, will play good, but will sell below expectations because:

It is rated mature - will be out for a good part of the market
PS crowd like new, novel games - this does not fit in the bill
GoW Collection sold well but not amazingly well
Sony bundles all games - there won't be thousands of GoW bundles as by the time, we will be having Heavy Rain, GT5, FF13 and other bundles
Bad time of year to release, due to competition

3 million is a good sales record, but I think the game will struggle to do more.

CGI-Quality said:
Fufinu said:
I think KZ2 fever is building up again. The game looks good, will play good, but will sell below expectations because:

It is rated mature - will be out for a good part of the market
PS crowd like new, novel games - this does not fit in the bill
GoW Collection sold well but not amazingly well
Sony bundles all games - there won't be thousands of GoW bundles as by the time, we will be having Heavy Rain, GT5, FF13 and other bundles
Bad time of year to release, due to competition

3 million is a good sales record, but I think the game will struggle to do more.

- This isn't from an unproven dev nor is it an unproven franchise. This is God of War we're talking about. The two aren't comparable.

- PlayStation crowd likes new stuff, sure, but they also love their God of War series.

- The GOW collection isn't an indication of anything, especially since we're talking about the re-release of two PS2 games.

- Competition? God of War isn't a game that many games can go against. It's only REAL competition: FFXIII, and in NA whre GOW sells the most, it won't hurt God of War's sales really, if at all.

Based on all this, I don't think you understand how God of War III is going to work.

Sales of GoW and sales of GoW 2 =/= GT sales.They were good but not stellar despite a massive install base.

Competition is in the like of Bayonetta and Dante's Inferno. The game is also cometing for client money with those other games - I'm sure some people will have to choose between GoW 3, Heavy Rain, Modnation Racers, FF13 + the other March releases I am forgetting about and will have to pass on GoW3.

I know what you mean with your argument and I am not saying that 3 million is a failure. In fact, I would view that as a success.

ill make a bold prediciton but

america : 3-3.5 mil
others: 1.5-2
japan: 100k

so thats 4.6-5.6 lifetime

Sales of GoW 2 = 2.59 million LTD
Sales of GoW 1 = 3.21 million LTD

3 million sounds just about good to me!

The games will hinder each other - I know they are in a completely different genre but they will be competing for the same users' money. I can't see how Heavy Rain will suffer due to GoW but not vice-versa.