By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - *Prediction God Of War 3 will sell...*

Neos said:
Kantor said:
Neos said:
Kantor said:
Kasz216 said:

Why is everyone predicting numbers higher then GOW 1 when the PS3 traditionally undersells PS2 franchises by 10-20% and GOW 2 sold less then GOW1?

i'd say... 2.3 Million?  Upper limit of 3 million?

That's lifetime by the way.

Because of MGS3 and MGS4

Because the PS3/360/Wii had launched in March 2007

Because piracy was rampant

Because there were many quality exclusives

Because internet hype wasn't as powerful as it is today.

I crossed down the irrelevant arguments.

I can cross out, too! Care to explain why they are more relevant than the PS2 having an enormous userbase full of people who had no idea what God of War was?

Have you got any research to back up that claim? Maybe people just don't like it?

I for one couldn't care less about GoW. I don't care about that age and the character is just plain ugly. To me, DMC is far superior in every single way.

Yes. 138 million PS2 owners didn't buy God of War. Would you suggest that 138 million people had heard of it, but didn't like it?

Also anecdotal evidence. From my experience, it's nowhere near as famous as, say, GTA.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
Kantor said:
Neos said:
Kantor said:
Neos said:
Kantor said:
Kasz216 said:

Why is everyone predicting numbers higher then GOW 1 when the PS3 traditionally undersells PS2 franchises by 10-20% and GOW 2 sold less then GOW1?

Because of MGS3 and MGS4

I crossed down the irrelevant arguments.

I can cross out, too! Care to explain why they are more relevant than the PS2 having an enormous userbase full of people who had no idea what God of War was?

Have you got any research to back up that claim? Maybe people just don't like it?

I for one couldn't care less about GoW. I don't care about that age and the character is just plain ugly. To me, DMC is far superior in every single way.

Yes. 138 million PS2 owners didn't buy God of War. Would you suggest that 138 million people had heard of it, but didn't like it?

Also anecdotal evidence. From my experience, it's nowhere near as famous as, say, GTA.

Your point is, that if they had heard from it, more people would buy it.

I asked you, how do you know that?

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Kantor said:
Kasz216 said:
Kantor said:
Kasz216 said:

Because of MGS3 and MGS4

1) MGS4 has yet to outsell MGS2.

2) The launched arguements... don't really matter, since often times it's the first game in the series that sells more.  See FF, or even... GOW.

3) Not... really to pirate for PS2 you needed to get a chip sautered into your system...

4) So your saying the PS3 dosen't have many quality exclusives?  I'd disagree.  Also why does "exclusive" matter.

5) Internet hype doesn't mean jack.  How many times have we seen highly hyped internet games fail this generation?

1) True. But it should get there eventually. And MGS2 was a huge seller.

2) Often, the first game on the console sells the most. But they do get a bit of a rejuvenation when they change generation.

3) Go to any large market in any third world country. Easy, cheap and takes about an hour. They even test it for you. And actually, they don't put anything in, they take something out.

4) Compared to the PS2, the PS3 has hardly any. I guess you're right about exclusives, but just generally in games...just in that genre, the PS2 had a lot of quality, which the PS3 lacks.

5) Not that many, compared to games with internet hype that have done well. And for the most part, those games sucked, or were extremely niche and never going to sell anyway. They are also, for the most part (though not ALWAYS) on Wii.

1) I don't think it will get there eventually.  Maybe though... even still, MGS is an outlier compaired to... pretty much every other legacy game.  MGS4 is an outlier compaired to other series.

2) Which is why I have it so high.  I'm accounting for the rejuvination... it's just the average PS3 drop...that's been seen by MOST of it's franchises negates it.

3) Third world countries don't hardly account for any software sales in general, or hardware sales.  Their effects are minimium.  Not to mention that people in 3rd world countries likely just don't buy PS3's since  A) PS3's are REALLY expensive,   B) You can't pirate PS3s. 

4) I'd disagree with that.  What quality is missing in the Hack N slash genre?  You've got the old "greats" from the PS2 era, a long with new Ips such as Bayonetta and Darksiders. 

5)  I think your having a correlation and a causation problem here.  Regardless... Even with high internet hype... it's not like 2 million is a failure.

I mean, the closest comparison I can find so far to GOW3 is Devil May Cry.

Which as multiplatform couldn't even find a way to reach the first Devil may cry.

God of war I alone was supposedly pirated 16 million times.

America - 2.6m
Others - 2.3m
Japan - 100k

Around the Network
haxxiy said:

America - 2.6m
Others - 2.3m
Japan - 100k

'supposedly'

I saw a website that claimed No more Heroes has sold 2 million copies.

Neos said:
haxxiy said:

America - 2.6m
Others - 2.3m
Japan - 100k

'supposedly'

It is a ridiculious number... but even if true it means... pretty much nothing.

World of Goo creators said for every 1,000 attempts of piracy they would stop would result in 1 sale.

World of Goo being MUCH cheaper... making the numbers for GOW even less one would think.

So even if it was pirated "16 million times" (Which is silly.)

Add on an additional 16K sales?

Kasz216 said:
Neos said:
haxxiy said:

America - 2.6m
Others - 2.3m
Japan - 100k

'supposedly'

It is a ridiculious number... but even if true it means... pretty much nothing.

World of Goo creators said for every 1,000 attempts of piracy they would stop would result in 1 sale.

World of Goo being MUCH cheaper... making the numbers for GOW even less one would think.

So even if it was pirated "16 million times" (Which is silly.)

Add on an additional 16K sales?

It was also sarcasm =P

Quoted for the LuLz!!!!!. =)

i cannot give exact numbers but i am convinced that this will be the best selling God Of War so far!