By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
gamings_best said:
Twistedpixel said:

Sony probably expected to be $100 or Euros higher in sale price at every point except for launch, with 5 million more console sales and the yen to remain stable which translates to say roughly $4-5 Billion dollars including hardware and software revenue. I suspect that the Slim arrived on time but $100 cheaper than they expected it to sell for. Their projections probably had the PS3 breaking even before this point in the generation and for them to be making 500M-$1B in profit from SCE per year for probably the last year two years. 

They didn't expect the Wii to sell well at all and they didn't expect the Xbox 360 to provide much competition. I doubt they expected 70% market share, but 50-60% wouldn't have been unreasonable to the Sony executives before launch at this point.

witha 600$ launch console................

Yeah.... more .... of course ..... oh ....

No.

Yes.

Of course they expected to sell better and at a higher price point. The severe price cuts weren't anticipated before launch, else they would have done things differently.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

Around the Network

Its realy time for a psp 3000/go price cut..and yes.. their whas none last year.. only for japan

Maynard_Tool said:
darkshadow23 said:
heruamon said:
darkshadow23 said:
Why do people want to see the PS3 pass the 360 so badly?

Because the PS3 is the underdog...

Who does everyone go for in the Super Bowl? The underdog.

What team did most people want to win the NCAA Football National Championship? Bama or Texas?

Texas, because they were the underdog.

PS3 is the UNDERDOG...lol..after being the dominant console the last 2 generations, and having the Sony brand...are you serious...I think you need to look up what underdog means.

The PS3 isn't the same thing as the PS1 and PS2..

Also the PS3 launching a year later and at a much  higher price... I'd call it an underdog.

Well then you don't know the definition of underdog.

The underdog this gen was the wii. There was a time when sony was the underdog... with the Ps1

Underdog: a participant in a fight, conflict, or game who is not expected to win

A $600 console launching a year later than its competition does not seem very likely to win if you ask me. Even if you disagree with it being the underdog at launch then I'm sure we could agree it became the underdog not long after.

darkshadow23 said:
Maynard_Tool said:
darkshadow23 said:
heruamon said:
darkshadow23 said:
Why do people want to see the PS3 pass the 360 so badly?

Because the PS3 is the underdog...

Who does everyone go for in the Super Bowl? The underdog.

What team did most people want to win the NCAA Football National Championship? Bama or Texas?

Texas, because they were the underdog.

PS3 is the UNDERDOG...lol..after being the dominant console the last 2 generations, and having the Sony brand...are you serious...I think you need to look up what underdog means.

The PS3 isn't the same thing as the PS1 and PS2..

Also the PS3 launching a year later and at a much  higher price... I'd call it an underdog.

Well then you don't know the definition of underdog.

The underdog this gen was the wii. There was a time when sony was the underdog... with the Ps1

Underdog: a participant in a fight, conflict, or game who is not expected to win

A $600 console launching a year later than its competition does not seem very likely to win if you ask me.

Do me a favor man, go look articles about who was gonna win this generation before the ps3 and the wii launched. Just look at how they just laughed at the wii, and praised the ps3.

Maybe you don't remember. Or maybe you weren't around. Probably you are new to this. But read this carefully: The ps3 was never the underdog. Everybody thought it was gonna win. The Wii was the underdog, everybody thought it wasn't going to be succesful; some dared to say that it was gonna lead Nintendo to retire from making videogame home consoles.

I know you are trying really hard, but you are wrong. The ps3 was not the underdog

darkshadow23 said:

A $600 console launching a year later than its competition does not seem very likely to win if you ask me.

Yeah because the Wii isn't competition right.......

Oh and the comparable difference in the U.S. at least was $100 was it not between the 20GB PS3 and the 20GB Xbox 360 at the time of launch?

Around the Network

PS3 wasn't the underdog, it was the favorite. Everybody expected it to blow 360 off the map. A lot of people also expected it to beat the Wii in time (there's that famous analyst bar graph that shows the PS3 bars just skyrocketing past Wii...)

Twistedpixel said:
darkshadow23 said:

Oh and the comparable difference in the U.S. at least was $100 was it not between the 20GB PS3 and the 20GB Xbox 360 at the time of launch?

The 360 was $299/$399 at launch..and had gears of war during the 2006 holiday season

The ps3 was $499 (limited sku was killed off once 2007 came on in) and then only $599 in the U.S

PRICE was always the issue for the PS3, the brand image was there, and now it has been hurt dramatically.. so there you have it.

mM

Maybe the PS3 looks like an underdog right now, but it sure wasn't viewed so by Sony when it launched. I remember quotes like "1200 bux for anyone that can find it in stores" and "we can sell 5 million units with no games whatsoever".

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

darkshadow23 said:

A $600 console launching a year later than its competition does not seem very likely to win if you ask me. Even if you disagree with it being the underdog at launch then I'm sure we could agree it became the underdog not long after.

You don't get it, darkshadow. PS3 was supposed to exceed 360 installed base while costing twice as much and only in 2 months of sales.

It's actually a terrible failure, now I see it, that it took Sony more than a few days to compensate for a one year head start and 5 million more installed base of its much cheaper competitor.

leo-j said:
Twistedpixel said:
darkshadow23 said:

The 360 was $299/$399 at launch..and had gears of war during the 2006 holiday season

The ps3 was $499 (limited sku was killed off once 2007 came on in) and then only $599 in the U.S

PRICE was always the issue for the PS3, the brand image was there, and now it has been hurt dramatically.. so there you have it.

That $299 was without a memory card and the primary console unit was the 20GB Xbox 360 with comparable features with the PS3 20GB which was $100 cheaper. The $299 Xbox 360 Core hardly sold much at all, probably its main market was early RROD victims.

What confuses me is that whenever someone talks about the level of price reductions the console was $499 in America and of course it only got a $100 cut but when people talk about how good the console sold people say that it sold really well for a $599 console. So you're 100% talking about the $599 60GB? Good.

I would say the only issue with the price is that it gave people who would have bought the console right off the bat without many games a pause for thought. It wasn't that the console was expensive, it was that it was expensive without any AAA games and came out at the same time the Xbox 360 just got a pair of excellent games in Oblivion and Gears of War which both dominated their respective genres at the time.

I don't suspect the price because the PS3s audience is mostly people in their 20's and had they wanted it they would have bought it. Its not the price but the lack of compelling reasons to buy it for that price which was the problem. People spend more than $600 U.S. on TVs, travel, cars, entertainment etc.

It was during 2006 at worst $100 more expensive, during 2007 at worst it was $200 more expensive but then at one point it was only $50 more expensive than the Xbox 360 Premium during the end of the year. The difference being that in 2007 the Xbox 360 again had more great content released and a massive system selling in Halo 3. Price doesn't answer everything because there are pros/cons in terms of features as well, but content certainly does explain a lot of the rest.