By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

The PSP needs a price cut...

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
saicho said:
letsdance said:
Ex: Detroit Red Wings were the fav... now they are the under dog if they can even make it into trhe playoffs... see how that works?

Kowenicki - bzzz wrong 1.13 million.

I like the sports team analogy.

PS3 is like a team that looked very good on paper before the season started. It was the favorite to win it all based on the expert predictions. However, it stumbled out of gate and underachieved after the season started. Although it has been doing a lot better in the last 4 months, its overall record is still worse than the competition which makes it the underdog right now.

lol you forgot they started their season 1 and 1/2 years after their competitor.

I gotta a better one: more like a drag race

360 knew the couldn't go head up with the ps3, the sony team put too much under the hood, so the got a 15 car length head start, and it's taking the ps3 some time to catch up, only thing is, this is a 10 mile race, and where less than half way finish and the ps3 is catching up, ps3 has the top speed which is what matters for endurance drags, 360 got acceleraction which is good for quick starts, can the 360 hold it's lead, it's peaked it's top speed and the ps3 and the ps3 is still gaining...............

this is endeed an intersting race, one that I'm egar to see how it will turn out. my money is on the ps3.

Dgc1808 said:
The PSP needs a price cut...

and a second analog

Very good Ps3 Sales. 2010 is awesome =)

the best RPG's are coming 2013 !!!! oh my god, this is perfect for RPG-GAMER = ) Ni No Kuni - 25 january, Time and Eternity, tales of xillia (PS3) and the maybe best game ever: metal gear solid ground zero

They aren't race cars they're wind up toy cars.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

Around the Network

The race analogy doesn't work, or at least traditionally it didn't. In a race, nobody gets help based upon their current position. Traditionally in the console wars, the further ahead you are the more you get supported by third parties.

This time it's been different though. This time third parties want to help the underdog, because they've got a fantastic thing going on when Sony and Microsoft are competing for developer support. They like that dynamic and they're making sure to maintain it.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

gamings_best said:
thx1139 said:
Since we are talking winners and losers.

Sony has to be thought of the loser this gen. Yes the last 6 months things have gotten better, but there is no way that Sony planned to be losing $ on each PS3 sold after the 4th holiday period. Sony has had to agressively price reduce the PS3 ahead of schedule and that will continue to cost them big $. There are 1-2 more holiday sales periods left before the next generation gets announced and 2-3 holiday sales periods before they launch. PS3 wont be a profitable project. This wasnt Sony's buy into the market this was the followup to the most 2 most successful consoles of all time.

this is what I don't understand, unless you people really think Sony is just stupid, and no nothing about math, the ps3 was once 850 dollars to make meaning they were once losing 200 dollars per console sold, now while that has changed to a mere 30 dollars, I'm pretty sure Sony knew they were going to lose money this gen, they're main focus was getting the tech out the door, same with the go. Mabey sony shouldn't have been the market leader, so people can stop complaining why they did what they did, mabey just mabey they knew they were going into a hole and willingly did so to push the tech further which would benifit them in the future, I mean it's only what they have been saying this WHOLE FREAKING GEN jesus christ -_-. not everyone is microsoft, and not everyone needs to be microsoft, Sony is going to have it real easy next gen that's a fact, and for all you who think they won't ever get as high as they were and really think the xbox has even remotely damaged the ps brand your in for aa rude awaking, the 360 has done nothing but improve the XBOX brand, and as pathectic as is it was last gen yeah big whoop, you managed to do lifetime what the ps2 did in at launch. big whoop (like no duh they gonna do better than that) but whatever right.

All I now thank the lord for teh cell and teh blu ray, next week, preping for some MASSIVE domination ^^.

Do I think Sony was stupid? No. Reckless and didnt really understand the market? Yes.

They thought and thier comments prove this that they thought the market would flock to the PS3 because of the PS1 and PS2 no matter what the cost.  The first indication that they thought they made a mistake was the quick creation of the 20GB PS3 so they could advertise that the PS3 starts at $500.  What they originally thought was that for a year or two they would sell at a loss and then a couple of years in they could drop the PS3 to $500.  Then a couple of years later drop to $400.  The market forced them to accelerate the price changes or become irrelevant.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

hatmoza said:
I really didn't expect the PS3 to start outselling the 360 so soon in the U.S!

It won't last. They'll never catch the 360 in the U.S. this gen, that's for sure. That's all Microsoft cares about. The Japan market isn't a big market for the 360 and never will be. The fact that Microsoft even broke into the Japan market and got the shares they did is a miracle in itself, since no other American company was ever able to launch a successful game console there.  The UK is a mixed bag. They have a love/hate relationship with the XBox 360. They hate the hardware, but love the games. They love the XBLA games, but hate to pay for XBox Live. The only thing they seemed to hate about Sony's PS3 was the price. Now that's at a reasonable amount they love it even more. I wonder if they'll love the 360 Slim when that gets released.

'gaming till I'm gone'

thx1139 said:
gamings_best said:
thx1139 said:
Since we are talking winners and losers.

Sony has to be thought of the loser this gen. Yes the last 6 months things have gotten better, but there is no way that Sony planned to be losing $ on each PS3 sold after the 4th holiday period. Sony has had to agressively price reduce the PS3 ahead of schedule and that will continue to cost them big $. There are 1-2 more holiday sales periods left before the next generation gets announced and 2-3 holiday sales periods before they launch. PS3 wont be a profitable project. This wasnt Sony's buy into the market this was the followup to the most 2 most successful consoles of all time.

this is what I don't understand, unless you people really think Sony is just stupid, and no nothing about math, the ps3 was once 850 dollars to make meaning they were once losing 200 dollars per console sold, now while that has changed to a mere 30 dollars, I'm pretty sure Sony knew they were going to lose money this gen, they're main focus was getting the tech out the door, same with the go. Mabey sony shouldn't have been the market leader, so people can stop complaining why they did what they did, mabey just mabey they knew they were going into a hole and willingly did so to push the tech further which would benifit them in the future, I mean it's only what they have been saying this WHOLE FREAKING GEN jesus christ -_-. not everyone is microsoft, and not everyone needs to be microsoft, Sony is going to have it real easy next gen that's a fact, and for all you who think they won't ever get as high as they were and really think the xbox has even remotely damaged the ps brand your in for aa rude awaking, the 360 has done nothing but improve the XBOX brand, and as pathectic as is it was last gen yeah big whoop, you managed to do lifetime what the ps2 did in at launch. big whoop (like no duh they gonna do better than that) but whatever right.

All I now thank the lord for teh cell and teh blu ray, next week, preping for some MASSIVE domination ^^.

Do I think Sony was stupid? No. Reckless and didnt really understand the market? Yes.

They thought and thier comments prove this that they thought the market would flock to the PS3 because of the PS1 and PS2 no matter what the cost.  The first indication that they thought they made a mistake was the quick creation of the 20GB PS3 so they could advertise that the PS3 starts at $500.  What they originally thought was that for a year or two they would sell at a loss and then a couple of years in they could drop the PS3 to $500.  Then a couple of years later drop to $400.  The market forced them to accelerate the price changes or become irrelevant.

you do know that's exactly whats happening right